Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modified S40, is it possible

Views : 6235

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 14:31   #1
Cull100

Hello all,

I have a 97 S40. Have had it for a number of months now. I can’t fault the car in any way and I’m completely happy with it. But, I want to modify it a little. What I want to do is put a body kit on, something alone the lines of the West Wings Big Mouth kit, install hydraulic suspension, 18” wheels with low profiles. There are a number of additional modifications I wish to make also but these are the main ones.

My initial problem is that the amount of Body Kits available for the S40 is extremely limited. The ones I have seen are practically the same as the factory fitted kits. Has anyone come across a site that sells a wide range of kits for the S40?

Another issue I came across was nearly giving my local Volvo dealer a heart attack when I mentioned putting 17”’s onto the S40. So I obviously didn’t mentioned the lowering of the suspension, never mind hydraulics or 18”! Is this even possible?

Thanks for the time
Regards,
Steve

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 16:02   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Modified S40, is it possible

You sound like you are in grave danger of turning a lovely car into a 'ricer' wannabe.
Don't do it!!
Go for tasteful and understated, it is much more in keeping with the cars heritage.

Hydraulic suspension, no idea.
18" wheels? Ata push and only if you don't mind the buzzing of rubbing tyres over every bump and feeling every rut in the road due to the harder ride. 17" is fine as long as you don't go higher than 7.5J rims to be safe (with 215/40-17 tyres). Your dealer was obviously not aware that 17" wheels fit a treat if chosen carefully.

Body kit, fair enough I suppose, but with the lines the car already has, do you REALLY need to add any sticky out bits and vents?

What type of S40 is it by the way?

Glad you are happy with your car and welcome to the club! ;-)

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 22:14   #3
beggers

I have a V40 and I've fitted 17" wheels with 215/40 tyres without a problem. I agree with Dan, don't try to make it into a monster, I like my car and it's far from standard but the mods make the car stand out not scream saying hoodilum ! Keep it small and simple, you'll appreciate it.
Andy
Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:11   #4
Ray_T
Ray T

Default RE: Modified S40, is it possible

Look at WWW.VVspy.com or http://www.s40concepts.net/ and you will get lots of ideas on those sites.

Below is some of the mods. i have done on my S40

TSW 16 X 7.5” Hockenheim alloy wheels shod with Continental Conti sport 205 x 45 x 16 tyres. Volvo lowered sport suspension. Volvo strut brace. Front and rear spoilers. K & N drop in air filter. Jetex 3” bore exhaust. Sparco pedal covers with matching alloy gear lever knob. Dual head lights. Adjustable front droplinks.

Regards

Ray T

Ray_T is offline   Reply With Quote