Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do I put more money into it?

Views : 1855

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2018, 21:04   #21
TiredGeek
Master Member

If it's a sticky turbo that's bugging you, have a look on YouTube for "turbo oven cleaner fix".

Have you tried "exercising" the turbo?
Find a long bit of quiet road, bung the thing in top gear at as low a speed as it will handle, ~800rpm, put your foot to the floor and keep it there as long as you dare.
This forces the variable vanes in the turbo to move to their full extent. Done a few times you may be lucky to get them to free up....

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 07:04   #22
Leyburn

Older S60s can't get much cheaper to buy, four decent tyres can equal 50% of market value. On the other hand, if it's car you know and are happy to keep driving then set an escape plan and stick to it i.e. if the DMF or autobox goes then the car has to go.
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 08:23   #23
Oil Burner

Hi all,

The sticky turbo is infrequent but annoying.

I tend to have a bout of instances and then it will go a away for months, then come back again.

So I am not fully clogged up or stuck.

I do try to exercise the turbo every day, though not as easy when its an automatic transmission.

Exercising does help but has not cured it, though to be fair it is a lot better than years ago.

I also use premium diesel all of the time. The car never, and I mean never puts out smoke. The only time you see it would be at night in a following cars headlights there is a very faint haze if I give the car a boot-full, thats all. Nothing like all the German cars I see on the road with black coming out the back.
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 20:10   #24
TiredGeek
Master Member

Try a good strong dose of millers fuel additive, then use it regularly for a while and see if it helps with the turbo issue, can't hurt anything except maybe your wallet.
I've been using it in mine for the last 50k and I have definitely noticed a reduction in the number of "soot filter full" messages I get. No other changes in driving so it must be the millers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-O...sAAOSw--xbBnsU

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 17:38   #25
Stev Mac

Hello, Oil burner, I understand your quandary I too have had multiple costs since my purchase of my V70 2.6 years ago with 95,000 on the clock. Apart for the services and consumables + 3 brake callipers I had a catastrophic engine failure at 105,000 miles which led to the top end rebuilt. Secondly, a clutch failure at 118,000 miles both ended up just short of £4,600. As the car cost £5,000 I'm in for £9,600 However, touch wood, I have travelled 28,000 miles thus far, in pleasurable comfort and safety. I was at one point desperate as to what could possibly go wrong next but decided to push on in absolute denial and ignorance. The only thing that stopped me was the possibility I would buy something else with similar problems I have had to shell out for. Just thought I should share that with you.
Stev Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 22:57   #26
stellamon

I'm very sad if a car costs me more than £300 a year to run, not including mot tax insurance etc. I reckon £300 is about right for oil n filter changes n discs n pads etc. get a big bill n suck it up but not a massive one, move it on if that happens.
just bought a honda accord 2.2 idtec, love it and no problems even at 150k.
I enjoyed my 2004 T5 and my 2004 V70R but loving this more now. Hasn't got the power but very comfy and economical.
Not had any problems to fix either which is a rare thing for me after buying vw passats and volvos.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 11:06   #27
Ritch

I understand this quandary too! This has been a common feature of my V70 ownership.

I just voluntarily chucked another £650 at my V70 with 173k and that took months of deliberation!

Background - bought at auction for peanuts 3 years ago on a bit of a whim. On way home realised it needed a new valve body. Sucked it up, drove like a dream after (and has continued to.) £500

6 months later, a squeaking noise and a hot rear wheel resulted in a complete rear axle rebuild - bearings, shoes, pads, discs and the major culprit, one sticky caliper. £250

6 months later, the little pulsing on roundabouts is now annoying me and I decide it's rack rebuild time. At the same time I attacked the cause of the D/R take up thud and changed out the engine mounts throughout. Also Poly'd the voids £400

Car is epic, reliable, super comfortable and does everything we want it to do - and - this is key, it's a mega safe car that the good lady and kiddies drive around in and I feel relaxed. Also, it's smart enough to look nice but if I came back to it being dinged or scraped it wouldn't really bother me.

So zip forward to present day. We now have a car which I have a good history of which also has had most of the common issues sorted. (can you guess what's left?). We did 3k miles driving around France last year with it loaded to the gunwales. But, she was driving so bouncy and boaty it was getting to me and like I say, the wife uses it daily for school etc. £650 on a whole host of bushes, springs and shocks throughout plus several days of spannering. This was not an easy decision on a 13 year old car with +170k!!!

Another reason is I also put a towbar on recently as we bought a little trailer for camping and garden stuff.

My thought process was simple. I'd maybe get £2k for the car max? What else out there can I get for £2.5k that will have had all that work done and can (fingers crossed) have a better than not chance of getting to the South of France tomorrow if needed? Incidentally, it drives like a new car now.

If it suffers a catastrophic engine or box failure tomorrow then it will have all been for nothing but i still think I am ahead of the cost/value curve - just. Would of course be different if I wasn't doing all this with my own hands.

My money is on lifters next.........

F***ing Volvos........
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 12:25   #28
Dippydog
Premier Member

Had my V70[a P1 aka The Barge]for 2yrs now.In that time I've put on a new front brake caliper,front pads a front wheel bearing a headlight bulb a pair of front wipers an outer cv boot and converted to contactless TPS.Done oil,oil filter,air filter,plugs and3 new tyres.Oh and a new thermostat and radiator.I have ready to go on a pair of bottom arms and a set of rear brake pads-I'm going to wait while after Tuesday to see what M.o.T. man says before fitting these.How much of the above you want to class as routine stuff or "over and above" costs I'll let you decide.Thing is the car only cost me £50 with 10mths M.o.T. on it to begin with.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 15:32   #29
Oil Burner

Well, mine is now booked in for its annual MOT and service at the Main Dealer in 2 weeks time.

Main Dealer you say? Yes, I use them and have done for the last 4 years.

So we shall see what that throws at us this time.
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 17:02   #30
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Burner View Post
Well, mine is now booked in for its annual MOT and service at the Main Dealer in 2 weeks time.

Main Dealer you say? Yes, I use them and have done for the last 4 years.

So we shall see what that throws at us this time.
What does it cost for a service ?
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote