Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 62559

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 14:21   #201
weemark

No offence taken!

Key's always in a pocket of whatever I'm wearing when I leave the house so I have a pretty good idea it's on me ..... somewhere. In all honesty there's no perfect solution to (un)locking the car, everything so far has had flaws and there's always been a way round it for the bad guys but I do like the convenience of keyless esp when turn up to the car with big old camera bag on the back, hands full of tripods and the like then can just waggle the foot under the bumper!!
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:15   #202
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
I agree; for the limited extra convenience afforded by keyless entry I would prefer no keyless entry but with keyless start.

My next car will not have keyless entry.
Disagree keyless entry invaluable. Scenario : key 'somewhere' in wife's handbag, other key not to hand.... Do you a) spend the best part of the day searching the handbag, b) shove the handbag under the arm in the most manly way possible and proceed to the car.

Sold.

:wq
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:34   #203
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Disagree keyless entry invaluable. Scenario : key 'somewhere' in wife's handbag, other key not to hand.... Do you a) spend the best part of the day searching the handbag, b) shove the handbag under the arm in the most manly way possible and proceed to the car.

Sold.
Your wife needs smaller handbag
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobQuads For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 19:44   #204
Fat Magpie

My wife just picked up her new company car, she specified a remote key fob because of these scares stories. Her previous car had keyless entry.
Now she is kicking herself, she misses it so much and it was a bad decision to force the dealer to remove it from her spec.

It's not the technology or the insurance companies fault - we need a proper deterrent like 10 yrs in jail for a third offence. No matter what technology is implemented the thug will always force a way to steal your car.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 20:24   #205
roundyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post

Sold.

:wq
Love this....point B
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 21:03   #206
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Magpie View Post
My wife just picked up her new company car, she specified a remote key fob because of these scares stories. Her previous car had keyless entry.
Now she is kicking herself, she misses it so much and it was a bad decision to force the dealer to remove it from her spec.

It's not the technology or the insurance companies fault - we need a proper deterrent like 10 yrs in jail for a third offence. No matter what technology is implemented the thug will always force a way to steal your car.
Problem with 10 years inside for the 3rd offence is the police can't catch them the first time I wouldn't like to hold my breath on a 3rd!
But sure who cares the insurance pays out! Wait I care it's the price of mine that gets affected! Police sure don't care but as I said before steal 35k from a bank and watch them hunt you down!
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 20:48   #207
steve99uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloavg View Post
Did your insurance at least cover the invoice cost if you want to buy another like for like?
Well I didn't have GAP insurance (silly) but after some discussion with my insurance company my 'market value' payout is almost what it cost me. I did obviously have a theft excess on the insurance and also the OTR price included road tax that I am (hopefully) getting back the balance on that. The OTR price of a like for like new one had gone up £2k as well.
steve99uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 23:53   #208
Turnwood

The best solution to this problem would be to integrate a mobile phone style fingerprint scanner into the engine start button. Key code in Sensus system needed to add new fingerprints. My iPhone works in this way so the technology obviously exists and is readily available.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 00:08   #209
David404

I feel for you, work hard, save money, buy something to be proud of and some scumbag steals it.

About time the manufacturers stepped up to the plate and authorities started getting tough.

1 the owner should be as to see where the car is via a tracker at all times.

2 police/tracker co/manufacturers should be able to initiate a progressive shutdown where by car looses power and then breaker to complete stop with breaker locked on over say 1 minute.

3 thief should be required to reimburse owner full value of car. Dock pay/benefits if needed. Even if car recovered AND banned from driving for 1 year. 3 theft strikes lifetime driving ban.
David404 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David404 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 02:33   #210
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David404 View Post
I feel for you, work hard, save money, buy something to be proud of and some scumbag steals it.

About time the manufacturers stepped up to the plate and authorities started getting tough.

1 the owner should be as to see where the car is via a tracker at all times.

2 police/tracker co/manufacturers should be able to initiate a progressive shutdown where by car looses power and then breaker to complete stop with breaker locked on over say 1 minute.

3 thief should be required to reimburse owner full value of car. Dock pay/benefits if needed. Even if car recovered AND banned from driving for 1 year. 3 theft strikes lifetime driving ban.
All very sensible - but how about, to begin with, given that it can be started remotely via the app, but not unlocked or driven until approached with the key, surely that same tech could be easily adapted to say, not allow the car to be driven without the key being in the car, so even if a thief gets it started via a scanner, it’ll be of no use to him if he can’t enter or drive it away?
Or am I in a fantasy world...?!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote