Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone with a petrol V40?

Views : 8497

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 17:46   #21
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianps View Post
I've found myself asking the same question as the thread-renewer ... looking at the price/specification list it appears Volvo fancies the T2 will return 45mpg and D2 55mpg.

But they also specify 98ROM/Super unleaded for the best performance/economy in petrol cars (which can be run on 95RON also) and I'd bet folk aren't doing that.

Over an 8 year/100,000 life (at today's prices) that could have the D2 costing £2,750 less than the equivalent T2 ... and Volvo's service price estimator shows the standard service costs of the 2017MY T2 versus D2 are just about the same.

However, that ignores the implicit risk of DPF/EGR failures and the risk to the DMF of diesel drivers performing high-load/strain (1,500-1,800rpm) gear changes. If each of those components fails on the 8 year span the owner experience would be very different.
Also ignores the fact the diesel engines rev slower and a petrol engine with 200k is the equivalent of a 400k diesel. However Volvo engines last, either diesel or petrol. DPFs on the diesels are bombproof and Catalysers on the petrol rarely fail on Volvos. I have seen Peugeot petrol cats fail after 4 years though.

I've seen a 2010 D3 with 289k on the clock, no replacements other than the usual and still running fine.

I'd also add that our D2 does 57 mpg in my wife's hands and 68 mpg in mine so I think your figures for the diesel mpg are wrong.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 2nd, 2017 at 18:41.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 22:28   #22
julianps
Master Member

Roy, yeah [maybe]

YMMV.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 23:17   #23
HDAV
Master Member

Quick bump anyone else got any feedback with a petrol auto V40.

Seems they are quiet powerful frugal and reliable.....

What’s not to like for people doing under 10k miles a year?

Trouble is so rare where to find one?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 07:32   #24
steV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

I have a 2016 V40 T2 automatic which I bought when it was a few weeks old and is now just coming up to 24k miles. The T2 is fine for everyday driving but if you want a bit more power then look for a T3.
I average around 40 mpg but on a cross country run I can get just under 50 mpg.
Too early for feedback on the long term reliability of the new Volvo petrol engines as they have only been around for 3 years. The autobox is the AW 6 speed geartronic which Volvo have used for years.
There are a few T4 autos around up to 2015 with the 180 bhp 1.6L Ford ecoboost engine and powershift automatic transmission.
As you say petrol automatics are rare, most of the cars for sale are ex demonstrators.
Steve
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 14:18   #25
H20 VOLVO

My wife has a T5 Auto.

Nice motor, deceptively quick. Muted exhaust note.

Does guzzle petrol - but she only does 3-4k miles a year so not bad overall.

It's more of a cruiser than a sports car - a bit of a modern day 'sleeper' on the motorway though - as most V40s out there are D2s.

Overall, a good engine, but thirsty. Don't think you can get the T4 in the UK now can you?
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 18:23   #26
Julianpms
VOC Member

I have a T5 Geartronic (latest VEA 4-cylinder engine) with Polestar Optimisation. With plenty of long, steady-speed journeys, fuel consumption has been surprisingly good in my experience: an average of exactly 40.0 mpg over first 6,700 miles, with a best of 42.7 and worst of 35.3 (all figures calculated brim-to-brim).
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 11:15   #27
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulstar View Post
I've got a 2016MY V40 T2 R-Design (1969cc, 122bhp) and love it.

Covered just under 5,000 miles so far, averaging 35.1mpg (mostly urban driving with a few motorways). I'm currently looking at getting a tuning kit to bump the power up closer to the 190-200bhp mark
Be very careful as you can put a lot of strain on the gearbox. There isn't an official Polestar map for that engine, which means Volvo won't want to know if you have problems.
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 23:29   #28
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

An update on my earlier post in this thread. Now car is two years old, has done just under 10k miles.
NO problems at all.
Since Sept last year I've only been using Super unleaded. It does make a difference to performance and also economy.
Re above comments, does go pretty well, can be economical if driven correctly, but I don't think the R design is quiet enough for a car in this quality/price bracket. Feel of some plasticks used and deadening material is in my opinion, not good enough. It is the only thing that lets the car down.

The other thing to add is that infotainment system I think looks and operates in a dated way now, compared to other cars. I can live with that though.

I still love the car and along with my dealer who always look after me well probably ensure that I will stay with Volvo. This is my forth by the way.

So to summarise, the T3 geartronic is a very good car and I would thoroughly recommend one.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 00:28   #29
HDAV
Master Member

Thanks for the feedback seems good on fuel my D4 manual XC60 only gets 44-45 if driven like a nun on Sunday...

It’s for the MIL trying to convince them a 6month old v40 is a better buy than a Mazda 2 or similar but having never had anything bigger than 1400 (rover 214) and currently driving a pretty awful Mitsubishi colt 1000cc it’s a struggle!

Especially when they are like hens teeth.....

Last edited by HDAV; Feb 4th, 2018 at 00:38.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 23:47   #30
Decathlon

Just bought a 17 plate T3 petrol manual. My wife will drive it mainly, probably won't do more than 10,000 miles per year so thought that petrol was the best option. It's a lovely car (certainly compared to the rather tired '02 plate Seat Ibiza it replaces), she's taken it to Gloucestershire today (from Essex) so I'll be interested to hear what she thinks when she comes back tomorrow. Only thing I'm not 100% convinced by is that it has the larger 17" wheels but it's not a massive thing.
Decathlon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decathlon For This Useful Post: