Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To Nav or not to Nav?

Views : 3823

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2014, 18:00   #1
confusedbuyer

Default To Nav or not to Nav?

Hi guys,

I was wondering for cars without the Nav spec, is it possible to hook up google maps from a phone to the screen? In my current car I can send the audio but not the visual, so wondered if it would be the same? I'm really struggling to find an SE Lux with Nav spec car within my price range. I have considered the SE Nav, but these also seem rare and like leather seats.

Are there any other benefits to Nav-spec that I'm not aware of, aside from Sat Nav and the larger screen?

Thanks in advance!
confusedbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 13:04   #2
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedbuyer View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering for cars without the Nav spec, is it possible to hook up google maps from a phone to the screen? In my current car I can send the audio but not the visual, so wondered if it would be the same? I'm really struggling to find an SE Lux with Nav spec car within my price range. I have considered the SE Nav, but these also seem rare and like leather seats.

Are there any other benefits to Nav-spec that I'm not aware of, aside from Sat Nav and the larger screen?

Thanks in advance!
You can't hook up a phone to the screen, unfortunately.

One thing to consider, is that if you are looking to sell the car in a few years, it'll be likely that people will be expecting sat nav (especially on a 'premium' brand) and so you might find much less interest / much lower price due to the lack of nav - if you can't find something within your price range, it might be worth the extra outlay now.

Depending on the model year of the V40 you are going for, the 'nav-less' models will all be the basic Sensus system, whereas a new-ish 'with Nav' models would have the newer 'Sensus Connect' system (despite similar names, they are quite different). If you go back 12-18 months ish (I'm not sure on the V40 timing), the systems were the same - you literally just got the larger screen and nav as you say.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 13:11   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

Do people really expect Nav in their car now?

Given that there are still dedicated Sat Navs from Tom Tom and Garmin, as well as those systems operating on nearly every smartphone and tablet you can buy, I wouldn't have thought they would be in that much demand.

I can understand second hand buyers hoping to have let the first buyer take the hit and pay around a grand for the system, which then doesn't add much to the second hand value, so they get it for a bargain.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 18:56   #4
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Do people really expect Nav in their car now?
For a 'premium' brand, I'd say yes.

Quote:
I can understand second hand buyers hoping to have let the first buyer take the hit and pay around a grand for the system, which then doesn't add much to the second hand value, so they get it for a bargain.
You just need to look at the OP: "I'm really struggling to find an SE Lux with Nav spec car within my price range". It does add to the price.

A quick look on Volvo selekt will demonstrate the price disparity - Nav models are going for quite a bit more.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 20:15   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

I'd disagree. The options on my car are worth 3-4 times Nav but was a complete bargain compared to others.

Old Sep 13th, 2014, 20:51   #6
Considered1
Premier Member

its a bit like the Range Rover or Jaguar guy with a mobile to his ear!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 22:43   #7
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
I'd disagree. The options on my car are worth 3-4 times Nav but was a complete bargain compared to others.
I'm reading that as "my car doesn't have nav, but has a load of other options, and was a bargain compared to others". Did the others include nav - which would therefore support the point that nav adds to the value?

Just not quite sure what you are trying to say.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 08:12   #8
tt82
Forum Support Team

The first part is true, No Nav or confusingly Rear Parking Sensors but does have BLIS, LDW, ACC with Collision Warning and Full Auto Brake, RSE, Winter pack with Active Bending Xenon Headlights, PCC, Power Tailgate, Power Sunroof, Bluetooth and Combined USB/Ipod interface, as well as a few others. Those options have a list price of over £6k

As for other cars I was looking at, I can't remember the spec of every car I looked at from 2 years ago but I regularly see V70's being advertised as "Fully loaded" and "Huge Spec" when they are basic SE models, or perhaps Business Spec which is just SE + Nav. (It's always so tempting to ring up the trader and ask if they have any of the above options on this "fully specced car"! I think one reason for mine being so cheap was the near 90k miles on a car just over 3 yr old.

Old Sep 14th, 2014, 08:38   #9
tt82
Forum Support Team

ps, what I am trying to say is that if there isn't a car with Nav in your price range but one with fantastic spec but no nav, go for the fantastic spec. Not having Nav is not the end of the world. Personally I'd rather have fantastic spec and no Nav, rather than base spec with Nav, if they were the same price.

However a quick look at V70's on autotrader shows that nav adds no value to the secondhand price.

09 V70 D5 SE with Nav on 141k miles for £5,990

Vs

09 V70 2.4D SE LUX with no Nav on 140k miles for £5,995

Similar mileage but the inferior engined car with no NAV sells for more.

58 V70 2.4D SE with Nav on 138k miles for £6,450

vs

58 V70 2.0D R-Design Lux with no Nav on 148k miles for £6,989

Again, the inferior engined car with no Nav sells for more.

I think the thing is the OP wants SE LUX with Nav but this is a costly trim. Essentially he wants A + B + C which he can't afford but he could afford A + B or A + C.

Old Sep 14th, 2014, 21:23   #10
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
09 V70 D5 SE with Nav on 141k miles for £5,990

Vs

09 V70 2.4D SE LUX with no Nav on 140k miles for £5,995

Similar mileage but the inferior engined car with no NAV sells for more.
But it's SE Nav vs SE Lux - so you'd expect SE Lux to sell for more, but SE + Nav is up at the same price. I also think that people buying a 5 year old car, will have different expectations compared to a car from one or two years ago.

If you look at more recent cars and the V40's on Volvo Selekt, then Nav ones are 99% of the time going for more than the non-Nav models, as you'd expect.