Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593831

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2018, 09:05   #1781
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
Thank you for the reply, I missed the fact it was for D4's only, was just looking quickly before going to work. It is the 148bhp engine with £20 tax rating, which makes it the newer engine I believe? I will look for a suitable thread for that, thanks again
It sounds like the car you're looking at has the VEA 4-cylinder engine. It's hard to say if the D3 variant is susceptible simply because there's a lot fewer of them on the road compared with the D4s.

My 10p worth is this: treat it as if it is susceptible. If the car you are looking at does not have a full Volvo service history, haggle £800 off the price on the basis that you know these cars are prone to the problem. Without a full VSH, you'll never get goodwill from Volvo if the problem does occur, and they may not honour the balance of the warranty either.

If the supplying dealer won't haggle, either walk away, or be prepared to set aside the cost of eventually replacing the EGR valve or cooler.

If it DOES have a full Volvo SH, but the supplying dealer is not a Volvo garage, do NOT let them service it. Again, haggle accordingly and have a Volvo dealer service it.

If the supplying dealer HAS serviced it prior to sale, you're back to haggling again.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 14:50   #1782
John34077

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
It sounds like the car you're looking at has the VEA 4-cylinder engine. It's hard to say if the D3 variant is susceptible simply because there's a lot fewer of them on the road compared with the D4s.
D3 certainly is susceptible, mine has had the mod after a check engine light.

John
John34077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John34077 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 23:02   #1783
John90

Default Engine

Thanks both, collected it today.

In answer to the Craigs questions above, both annual service stamps are from the same Volvo main dealer that it was purchased from (1 owner car), but the dealer is 200 miles from me so won't be going back to that one, but obviously could go to another. The non-volvo dealer I purchased it from hasn't serviced it as the 3rd service isn't due until the end of September. I don't know if any warranty work has ever been done on it. I could try to call the original dealer and see if they will share that information?

John, what were the conditions for yours failing, how old was it /how many miles /was it following multiple short journeys?

Thanks both
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 08:47   #1784
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
Thanks both, collected it today.

In answer to the Craigs questions above, both annual service stamps are from the same Volvo main dealer that it was purchased from (1 owner car), but the dealer is 200 miles from me so won't be going back to that one, but obviously could go to another. The non-volvo dealer I purchased it from hasn't serviced it as the 3rd service isn't due until the end of September. I don't know if any warranty work has ever been done on it. I could try to call the original dealer and see if they will share that information?

John, what were the conditions for yours failing, how old was it /how many miles /was it following multiple short journeys?

Thanks both
First and foremost, I hope you enjoy the car - they really are good (I had two V60s in succession). It's good that it has the full Volvo SH to date.

You could call / email the dealer that serviced it and ask the question: they may well tell you, or you could contact Volvo UK customer services too.

In 95% of cases, the symptoms of the fault are that you get a 'check engine' light in the dash (an orange engine symbol). That's it. A few cars have gone into limp-home mode, but that's rare. My V60 D4 had three fixes done (mine was one of the early cars) and I never had any other symptoms other than the 'check engine' light. No loss of power or economy, no difference to driving behaviour.

To maximise your chances against future problems, my 10p worth would be to have the third annual service done by a Volvo main dealer too. It will cost more than having it done elsewhere but it may also pay dividends in the future.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 20:44   #1785
berkhamsted

Well, add me to the list!
Low miles 2016 XC60 D4 auto bought from Volvo main dealer. Slight loss of power, very low mpg all experienced under 30 days from purchase.

I required a safe and reliable car + so this is not good :-(
Volvo have fallen short of my expectations, no courtesy car, no dealer principal callback after 4 calls from myself and now learned just the Cooler has been replaced.

I wonder why some dealers replace everything whilst others (like mine) do the bare minimum?

Well I sought legal advice regarding the 30 day rejection and full refund option upto 6 months (less reduction for enjoyment of use) (but as fault occurred within 30 days and allowed them one attempt to fix it, they carried out a partial fix...so no obligation to let them try again and reject for a full refund upto 6 months..I believe?).

As a one car household we cannot have an unreliable car + be off the road. Wow some people on this thread have had multiple fixes! How have Volvo got away with this without a recall + solid fix to make this a truly enjoyable car...as apart form this one issue, its a great car!
berkhamsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 17:30   #1786
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkhamsted View Post
I required a safe and reliable car + so this is not good :-(
Volvo have fallen short of my expectations, no courtesy car, no dealer principal callback after 4 calls from myself and now learned just the Cooler has been replaced.

I wonder why some dealers replace everything whilst others (like mine) do the bare minimum?
No courtesy car is taking the rise a bit, especially on such a recent purchase and when the car's still under warranty. I had three fixes done and was always offered a car (Rybrook Volvo, Warrington).

I hope the fix sorts it for you.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 14:11   #1787
ian16527

My D3 was upgraded this January. This was after the dealer cleared the fault light in the previous July, then said we want the car back, then refused to fix it until the light came back on!!!

It has dropped mpg by about 5mpg since the upgrade
ian16527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 15:32   #1788
Pas12345
Jacksprat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Any Volvo dealer should be able to get you a printout of the 'service actions'.
Not having any luck in getting hold of the service action report? All they have give me is prints out of the work done nothing like what you have?
Pas12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 18:00   #1789
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pas12345 View Post
Not having any luck in getting hold of the service action report? All they have give me is prints out of the work done nothing like what you have?
Feel free to take a copy of my service policy action printout and tell the Dealer Principal to press the print button. It is not a secret document.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 19:32   #1790
Pas12345
Jacksprat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Feel free to take a copy of my service policy action printout and tell the Dealer Principal to press the print button. It is not a secret document.
Thanks i will try that. Which garage provided you with this document?
Pas12345 is offline   Reply With Quote