Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Convertible Auto for sale - not breaking!

Views : 1312

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2018, 12:43   #11
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
'CTA' would need to be very sure that any prospective purchaser was insured before agreeing to a test drive, 'biggbn'. Not all comprehensive policies cover driving cars not owned by the policy holder, and if they do it is highly likely that they would be covered for third party risks only. Insurance can be a mine-field to the uninitiated.
It is because it is such a minefield and the thoughts of what could go wrong that makes me offer a demo only.

Quote:
Any takers yet, 'CTA'?

Regards, John.
Not yet. But I have a cunning plan emerging. Watch this thread!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 12:45   #12
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Could you pop up some interior shots so we can see the HAB interior in all its glory? I ask as Mrs BFB has expressed interest in the car, so you never know!
I'll do that this afternoon. But as warned earlier in the thread, there is some wear to the bolster on the driver's seat.

Old Jul 15th, 2018, 13:27   #13
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Default Photos for Mrs BFB (and anybody else come to that!)

Photos of the interior with the roof down, the draft excluder screen temporarily removed, and the neighbour's darned truck in the background!

I think that, probably, the picture from the rear LHS gives the best impression of the colour scheme (that is if HAB has a best impression!). And the picture 'through the drivers' door' shows the wear to the bolster on the driver's seat in all its glory the most accurately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior 1.jpg (215.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Interior 2.jpg (206.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Interior 3.jpg (217.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Interior 4.jpg (228.3 KB, 28 views)

Old Jul 15th, 2018, 14:33   #14
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Answered a PM before viewing the thread, clearly!
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 15:18   #15
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

To go back to the points on insurance.

I agree that a car should never be driven without satisfactory insurance cover.

When I bought the C70, I didn't get a drive, just a ride. But, I did have a really good shufti of everything just before and after the ride. And the manner in which the car 'rode' while I was having that ride allowed me to watch and feel how the car was being driven. That can tell a lot.

OK, back when I bought it and drove it, the scuttle shake was a new sensation to me - but I expected it and recognised that characteristic - and soon grew accustomed to it.

Sometimes, watching how a car is being driven can tell you a lot... especially when one has been an Approved Driving Instructor and Fleet Driver Trainer for many years. One can learn to sense how much the driver is driving the car properly or is struggling to make it look good!

All car purchasing is a gamble and I have seen more than one example of cars that virtually disintegrated within a few days of purchase. But it can also be true of a car that one has just had a test drive of as well.

And I'm more suspicious of a car that has a very new MoT rather than one that has an MoT (clean all through) a few weeks back!

Last edited by christheancient; Jul 15th, 2018 at 15:21. Reason: addition
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 17:13   #16
Angie
Premier Member

I wish I could justify a second car, I'd be off to Somerset for a test drive! A friend has a
C70 Cabriolet (I think that's what the hardtop is called) and I often park beside it in the church car park. I've said that as it's getting a bit old now she could perhaps be getting something newer, her husband said that when the Volvo starts to rattle I can have it so I've been wondering what I could do to create a serious sounding but non-damaging noise!

Of all the modern-ish cars I've seen the C70 really appeals to me but sadly I'm too old now to contemplating such a luxury.

I'm amazed that you haven't sold it yet, it looks fabulous, and your write-up is superb
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 17:35   #17
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Hi Angie,

The 'tops' of C70s can be confusing. Bottom line, the coupé is a hard top that slopes down with a sort of integrated boot and the cabriolet is the convertible. Both beasts in their own right that disappear as quickly as a pint of cold lager on a hot day like this!

And you're never too old to be in a convertible! You can get a rough idea of my age if I say I was born before D-Day and I well remember the 50th Anniversary of the RAF!! Though I do manage to do without a flat cap and have a VOC baseball cap instead. A bloke of my age in a baseball cap? I mean to say...

And an interesting, but cheap, rattle... Loosely wrap an old tin round the back end of the exhaust just before it emerges from underneath the back bumper. An additional "oh dear" uttered sotto voce along with suggestions of how much a new exhaust is!

Last edited by christheancient; Jul 15th, 2018 at 17:38.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 17:56   #18
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
And an interesting, but cheap, rattle... Loosely wrap an old tin round the back end of the exhaust just before it emerges from underneath the back bumper. An additional "oh dear" uttered sotto voce along with suggestions of how much a new exhaust is!
A penny inside a hub cap was always good for a laugh in my misspent youth, 'CTA'. And, 'Angie', both Linda and I love our Saab ragtop - its grand in this weather. You'd be behind me in the queue if we hadn't bought that last back end!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 18:41   #19
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
A penny inside a hub cap was always good for a laugh in my misspent youth, 'CTA'.
Regards, John.
I'm old enough to remember them as well!

The really rotten trick was the potato stuffed into the exhaust to block it.

Hmmm, John, Looks like we're now both old enough to know better!

Old Jul 16th, 2018, 12:16   #20
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Default Withdrawn from Sale

After a few days of questions and answers (some by PM) and not quite achieving my asking price, I sat and thought a lot.

I was grateful for the posts here in the forum and by email; it showed that the car was ‘of interest’ to people and admired by many. It was rather reassuring!

There were a lot of mixed emotions in my mind, right from the beginning, about actually selling the car – even though it doesn’t get a lot of use. It is a lovely car that is there and having some occasional use by me – though not as a ‘necessity’. It is a car I do love and am proud of it. And it is there if I need it. I will just make sure that I use it a bit more. It deserves it.

Add to that, as it had recently been MoT’d, insured and taxed, many of the ‘overheads of ownership’ have been paid for quite a period of time ahead! To me, it is a ‘known quantity’; and though there are some very minor foibles, none are catastrophic!

Under the circumstances, I will withdraw the car from sale. But, I will not forget the interest shown by many and the admiring comments. They did actually mean a lot to me. Thank you to all who joined in the 'conversation'.

Chris