Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Premature seat wear - example

Views : 5113

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:36   #1
Wobbly

Default Premature seat wear - example

I like the occasional pie, though I’m not a fanatic. I’m not huge. So when I noticed wear in parts of the Inscription leather in my 28,000 miles 22 month V90, I was concerned. The pictures below show the wear on the bolster and o/s front corner of the seat.

Having seen other threads on the topic, I called Volvo UK and explained my concerns. I was listened to, and I’ve just left the dealer after VCUK arranged an inspection at a dealer of my choice. Apparently the process is that the technician inspects the leather. If it’s obviously premature wear (“no outside influences”), the dealer makes the decision and a warranty claim is agreed on the spot. If it’s less straight forward, the technician sends pictures to Volvo who then make the decision.

In my case, it wasn’t disputed and the seat will be removed and both base and backrest covers replaced under warranty. So far it’s been a very efficient process, and I hope these examples of what has been deemed to be premature wear will be of use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EC092DE0-2F6A-46B0-BB94-E91E900B9266.jpeg (211.6 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpeg 12443053-31DE-48C0-9762-961FCA881BD8.jpeg (269.1 KB, 358 views)
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:21   #2
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

I fear this on my R Design seats with the pronounced bolsters I think they will wear quite quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CoopsSA For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:22   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Maybe it is my eyes but I am struggling to see any wear in the 2nd photo.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:46   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

It looks to me as if the leather could do with some feeding with a leather balm.
Cream or very light leather is difficult to keep clean and scuff-free at the best of times, which is why I prefer a darker grey. None of these marks would show on a mid-grey seat. Neither would dirt and stains generally.

Also I must say that there is a lot to be said for the part vinyl seats that are on my Land Cruiser and Mercedes use a lot of. It wears better than leather.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 14:21   #5
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Maybe it is my eyes but I am struggling to see any wear in the 2nd photo.
Look at the upper stitching arc and between the 2 lines of stitching you will see it is a slightly different colour.

From my view of the photos it looks like standard discoloration over 28k miles so I'm surprised they have agreed to replace rather than simply treat it. I tend to steer clear of light coloured interiors for this very reason.
Bash D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bash D Bishop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 14:25   #6
MCV60
Master Member

Had similar perishing on my napa leather at 6 month old. FI noticed within the first 4 week of my ownership. As per the OP the dealership swapped out the cover with no hassle.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:09   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I have amber nappa on an 80k mile T8. There is some very slight cracking on one bolster but to be honest I am very happy with how it has worn.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:55   #8
Wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
It looks to me as if the leather could do with some feeding with a leather balm.
Cream or very light leather is difficult to keep clean and scuff-free at the best of times, which is why I prefer a darker grey. None of these marks would show on a mid-grey seat. Neither would dirt and stains generally.

Also I must say that there is a lot to be said for the part vinyl seats that are on my Land Cruiser and Mercedes use a lot of. It wears better than leather.
You’re probably right - it’s due a feed with the “lotion” contained in the Volvo leather cleaning kit. I thoroughly clean and feed a couple of times a year, with the intention of removing whatever the quick clean leather wipes leave behind in the interim.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 17:00   #9
Wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash D Bishop View Post
Look at the upper stitching arc and between the 2 lines of stitching you will see it is a slightly different colour.

From my view of the photos it looks like standard discoloration over 28k miles so I'm surprised they have agreed to replace rather than simply treat it. I tend to steer clear of light coloured interiors for this very reason.
I don’t think it’s discolouration - the surface is wearing away. I was thinking of treating it, but am glad I didn’t. Apparently there is a recognised issue with premature wear, which explains the lack of fuss about the replacement.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 17:06   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

I occasionally use some beeswax-lookalike stuff that I bought at a county show. Its quite amazing stuff, applied using a sponge cube. Very little goes a long way and it soaks into the leather beautifully. Even my matt black Nappa leather.
I've used very similar products over the years on my Land Cruiser and while the steering wheel leather has long disintegrated, the seats are all like new, including the driver's seat which has had 20 years and 200,000 miles of my 20 stone on it. Pity there is now a need to spend quite a lot of money on it mechanically, at an age where it may well not be viable to do so.