Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Premature seat wear - example

Views : 5116

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:14   #21
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
Here’s a cut & paste from the Volvo website:

Volvo offers a comprehensive product, Volvo Leather Care Kit/Wipes, for the cleaning and treatment of leather upholstery. When the product is used in accordance with the instructions, it preserves the leather's protective coating.

Open to interpretation, and mine is that there is a protective layer which should be protected. Volvo’s videos talk about conditioning fluid being left to soak in (I’m paraphrasing), but I note that the car being treated in the video was the last model XC60 and could be very different to a more modern leather on the SPA cars.
It certainly soaks in to the seemingly very porous nappa soft leather. Other glossy leathers never have absorbed much, apart from where creases appear, as they do with all leathers eventually. The creases need feeding or they will soon start cracking.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 22:46   #22
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
Its all like that now, , you wont see that layer, most of it evaporates, but it will be there. I learned the hard way with leather wear a few years back and done the research essentially modern car leather has a couple of coats of ‘paint’ and a clear coat and needs cleaned, but not fed.

Have a look yourself round the web, most of the rather cleaners are really out of date. Detailing world has a few experts and there are great articles on Dr Leathers site about the standards and care of modern leathers.
Came on here to recommend this and someone already did, he's also right modern leather isn't like that anymore in any of the modern cars at least the main aim is to keep the clear outer coat clean and free of debris as its a protective coating conditioning it wouldn't do anything. Keeping it clean though with either wipes or something slightly more heavy duty is what I'd also recommend.

Some good stuff to read over on detailing world if you want to know more about in car leather care the guys over there take it quite seriously! Dr Leather is one of a small handful of recommended products there but in essence they all suggest the same cleaning method.

Yes my vote for all the real leather in the cabin would be just the Dr Leather wipes/spray and a microfibre to wipe off residue.

Last edited by DangerMUK; Jan 20th, 2019 at 22:51.
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 09:25   #23
GuidoBrunetti

Default Why leather?

This thread shows how ridiculous it is for leather to be the dominant seat covering in so-called premium cars. Much of the leather used is of such poor quality that it stands no chance of lasting more than a few years before it starts wearing and cracking. I would love to have the option of selecting some other type of seat covering and not necessarily an organic material such as wool. Our next car may be an XC40 and I’ll be looking seriously at the basic Momentum cloth trim because I’m so fed up with leather (SAAB, Jaguar and Volvo).
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 09:38   #24
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
This thread shows how ridiculous it is for leather to be the dominant seat covering in so-called premium cars. Much of the leather used is of such poor quality that it stands no chance of lasting more than a few years before it starts wearing and cracking. I would love to have the option of selecting some other type of seat covering and not necessarily an organic material such as wool. Our next car may be an XC40 and I’ll be looking seriously at the basic Momentum cloth trim because I’m so fed up with leather (SAAB, Jaguar and Volvo).
I find leather and leather/vinyl combinations to be the easiest to clean and hardest wearing seat material. Far superior to cloth, especially in harsh environments. Cloth absorbs moisture and muck and dust and becomes musty and nasty during wet weather periods, while it all wipes off leather seats easily and quickly. Its not quite durable enough for steering wheels though and eventually starts disintegrating.

All materials require some little respect and maintenance of course. Some are better than others in quality also. I don't rate Volvo's current seats or the Nappa soft leather as being the very best of their kind, but I've had worse. They certainly don't match the quality and comfort of my Land Cruiser Amazon's and maybe not quite up to my Honda CR-V's either, although the Volvo leather is softer. Perhaps that is its problem? Leather too soft and not enough padding in the cushions?
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 10:16   #25
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I dont think its an issue with the actual leather quality but more an issue with the colour coating thats applied, (especially with the blond nappa) it seams to be a too thin and wears off very quickly. It does not seam to be penetrated deap enough into the leather.
Where the colour wears away the leather is usually still good but bear.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jan 21st, 2019 at 10:34.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 15:42   #26
Northeastguy

Default Inscription leather s90 black leather issue

It seems this is common, my inscription Napa leather drivers seat back bolster is likely to be replaced under warranty at 24 k miles. Looks terrible, stripes in colour and the surface appears to be wearing away.

2018 car, mainly only drivers seat used.
Northeastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 19:00   #27
Kenp8257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastguy View Post
It seems this is common, my inscription Napa leather drivers seat back bolster is likely to be replaced under warranty at 24 k miles. Looks terrible, stripes in colour and the surface appears to be wearing away.

2018 car, mainly only drivers seat used.
I have a MY17 S90 R-Design D4.

The bolster on the driver seat has worn completely on the edge, all grey and rough, not the black soft leather.

Only 18K miles. (I think the 'cheaper' leather used in the Momentum trim looks like it would be far harder wearing, but IMO doesn't look as nice).

Anyway, car was in for a steering wheel button replacement this week and whilst there I said about the seat.

Dealer agreed it was bad, but had to get Head Office agreement for a replacement.

Fortunately they've agreed and new seat being replaced on Monday.

Ken
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 19:17   #28
WhatNext?

Agree with above.

My Momentum leather (14 000 miles) seems to have aged better than the R Design leather on a recent loan vehicle (just over 2000 miles). Still not perfect though
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 14:05   #29
Kenp8257

For reference, attached should be a picture of my driver seat bolster that is being replaced under warranty on Monday.

18K miles.

MY17 S90 R-Design D4

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191011-140038_Gallery.jpg (200.3 KB, 94 views)
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenp8257 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 16:21   #30
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenp8257 View Post
For reference, attached should be a picture of my driver seat bolster that is being replaced under warranty on Monday.

18K miles.

MY17 S90 R-Design D4

Ken
More wear on that than my 2005 S40 with 208K on the clock, they have certainly messed up with the design or spec of the materials in the seats on these new cars.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post: