Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Performance options for a 163hp D5 under warranty?

Views : 1621

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:49   #1
Prophet
New to Tractors ;)

Question Performance options for a 163hp D5 under warranty?

Hi folks. Sorry to bother you all but after searching a few forums and getting different bits of info from all over the place I though it was about time that I ask a few questions in order to figure out what my realistic options are for getting my 2006 2.4 D5 163bhp XC90 to move quicker while also not leaving a trace come warranty time!

I was all for going down the Rica PPC route where I could backup the original flash and then program in the uprated one, giving me all the benefits and then simply reflash the standard flash the original come service/warranty work time. This all sounded great until I read the following post by Pyaap on these forums:

"One other piece of useful advice I would like to give you a number of people have been keen to get the PPC because it would allow them to revert the car to standard when going back to the dealer for servicing, warranty work etc. However, the "time stamp" on VIDA (on the opening page!) clearly indicates when the ECU was last accessed so it is now impossible to hide the fact that the ECU has been re-flashed by someone other than a Volvo dealer (and it registers the number of downloads too), which is always something which raises their suspicions. This will, of course, not apply if you're happy for them to know the car has been tuned.”

Keeping the warranty intact is an absolute must for me so if the quote above applies to the ECU that the XC90 uses as well then I am gutted but will have to steer clear of any ECU modding while the warranty is current!

I have heard mutterings of diesel fuel rail mods but not really found anything useful on this (could be down to poor searching skills) and coming from Subaru's I have always been a remap guy when changing pretty well anything on the engine. The idea of plugging something in the overrides the ECU doesn't sit well with me at all but my concerns may be unfounded?

Ideas and info would really be appreciated guys as I really want to squeeze anything resembling performance out of this car! (I know, I know, I shouldn't have bought a diesel in the first place but the deal offered was too good and kids etc etc )

Cheers,

Nick .
Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 18:48   #2
wadhurstdaisy

Nick, I decided against modifications because of the warranty issue. My previous car was a Rover which suffered an engine problem once Rover went under so I wasn't able to make a warranty claim.

In view of this experience the last thing I wanted to do is invalidate the warranty on my nice new XC90.

Assuming you have an auto, if your concern is the lag experienced when moving off from a standstill I do recall reading somewhere that this is caused by the gearbox taking neutral when you stop. Whilst this characteristic was changed when the higher powered D5 engine was introduced after your model I understand that it is possible to get your Volvo garage to change a setting on the ECU so that the gearbox remains engaged.

If however your issue is with the car once it is moving I'm afraid I can't add anything to what you've already found out.

Trust this helps and will no doubt find out if my memory serves me correctly re the auto box from following posters !
wadhurstdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:48   #3
Prophet
New to Tractors ;)

Thanks for the info so far, much appreciated . Good to know that the auto gearbox can be fixed with a flick of a switch so to speak! Does anybody else have any info to throw in regarding alternatives to ECU modifications that won't go and blow the engine up and be of any use?
Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:24   #4
AB-UK
Premier Member

I took up Wadhurstdaisy's tip (above) to my dealer, and their reply was :-

"With regards to the question about the software to deselect the neutral when pulling off in your XC90, We have received confirmation of a software upgrade that will achieve this.
We will need the car for approx 1 hour and the cost will be £67.23 inc vat."

This is apparently to "stop the gearbox from selecting a false neutral" which speeds up selection of first gear so that the car will set off quicker - apparently.

Can anyone technical offer confirmation of this?
Regards.
AB
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 16:12   #5
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default neutral control

Not quite. Neutral control is a deliberate design feature of the software the theory being when stopped in gear with footbrake applied neutral is selected to reduce drag a wear. The software the dealer will download will just turn this feature off.

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 22:21   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

Paul,
I see - but does this mean there might be a detrimental effect, such as excessive wear on some components?
I suppose it means the car will always be in gear, held back by the footbrake, so quicker on the take-off when the brake is released - which should be a real improvement on the normal sluggish initial movement.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 22:32   #7
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clifton View Post
Not quite. Neutral control is a deliberate design feature of the software the theory being when stopped in gear with footbrake applied neutral is selected to reduce drag a wear. The software the dealer will download will just turn this feature off.

Paul.
But does anyone apply the footbrake when they stop at junctions or lights if they have an autobox? I can't say I have. I only use it when parking as it's far to cumbersome for anything else.

Roy
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:28   #8
wadhurstdaisy

Roy,

I think a bit of confusion is creeping in re the term 'footbrake'. I'm not sure that Paul Clifton or AB-Uk are referring to Volvo's replacement of a 'handbrake' but to the big pedal in the middle of the pedalbox that makes the car slow down ... I do hope that you use this one other than just for parking !
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:58   #9
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadhurstdaisy View Post
Roy,

I think a bit of confusion is creeping in re the term 'footbrake'. I'm not sure that Paul Clifton or AB-Uk are referring to Volvo's replacement of a 'handbrake' but to the big pedal in the middle of the pedalbox that makes the car slow down ... I do hope that you use this one other than just for parking !
This would be a first time that I've ever heard anyone in this country refer to a cars main brakes as the footbrake. The brakes = main brakes. Handbrake = handbrake. So I assumed footbrake meant Volvo's handbrake replacement which can't be called a handbrake any more as it's foot operated.

Is it because I is old?

My car can't be going into neutral and applying the brakes though because it doesn't roll backwards on hills but still carries on pulling forward, and I can't hear or feel any engaging of gearswhen I take my foot off the brakes. Unless my car was modified before I had it but it's not listed on any of the work sheets, and they are very comprehensive.

Roy
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 18:19   #10
wadhurstdaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post

Is it because I is old?

Roy

I've no idea, however I do know that my wife thinks I've lost it but that is 5 years of being a househusband for you, perhaps I can't reason any more