Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto vs Manual

Views : 1573

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:19   #1
Mancman

Default Auto vs Manual

Hi - I'm about to finalise my order for a XC90 D5 (185bhp) and I am really undecided about the transmission type.

I don't need to tow anything so the car is purely for family purposes and driving pleasure, cost is not really an issue as it is a company car.

Reading through the other comments there does seem to be some concern about hill starts with the manual but I would guess that this is just a question of geting the technique right.

I've also opted for the speed sensitive steering to try to improve the feedback from the road, not sure if anyone has any views on this option?

Thanks
Mancman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 17:00   #2
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancman View Post
Hi - I'm about to finalise my order for a XC90 D5 (185bhp) and I am really undecided about the transmission type.

I don't need to tow anything so the car is purely for family purposes and driving pleasure, cost is not really an issue as it is a company car.

Reading through the other comments there does seem to be some concern about hill starts with the manual but I would guess that this is just a question of geting the technique right.

I've also opted for the speed sensitive steering to try to improve the feedback from the road, not sure if anyone has any views on this option?

Thanks
I think someone said you need three feet to do a hill start in the manual. I dislike the foot brake and never use it. It's the cars only bad point. I live in a hilly area and I would be in traffic at lights on a hill, nightmare. I'd be rolling back all the time. Not nice for the people behind either, especially if it's a cyclist.

Most people want the auto second hand but that won't matter if it's not yours.

I love the speed sensitive steering on mine.

Roy
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 17:52   #3
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Hi Mancman,

I have my new D5 Geartronic for a few weeks now; previous cars have always been manuals. I'm happy with the auto box, except for the behaviour during the first miles with a cold engine (see seperate thread). You will get better mpg though with a manual, but having the auto is a very comfortable and relaxing change for me.

Good luck with your choice!

Best regards

Ron
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 21:01   #4
ianu
Premier Member

Hi Mancman,
I've got a D5 manual (05MY) - for two reasons initially - price/economy and the auto was not so good out of T junctions quite scarily so.
You definitely need to engage brain before feet for hill starts and agree that it's the worst design point of the whole car for this very reason.
BUT my wife copes with it too - and she won't drive auto's as they scare her !!
I like auto's and they suit this car - you've got plenty to cope with with it's size without having to worry about what gear you're in - but the manual is still relaxing to drive though and even in Plymouth or Austria haven't rolled over a cyclist yet..
Because of the miles I do I went economy route 38 - 42 (and my wife wont drive auto's)

Enjoy.
Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:48   #5
Patrick lince

Hi

If the cost is no option as you state, then it is a no brainer, go for the geartronic.

Happy motoring.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:46   #6
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Hi Mancman,
I've got a D5 manual (05MY)
(and my wife wont drive auto's)

Enjoy.
Cheers
Ian.
Sounds a good reason to get an Auto. ;-)

Funny, my wife won't drive a manual, but she does have a bone problem with her left foot that causes her a lot of pain.

In London traffic and in those long motorway holdups a clutch is just irksome, and when you combine it with that foot operated brake I'd rather spend the extra money on a couple of miles less per gallon. (or drive a bit slower) I get 37 to 40 out of mine which is more than my wifes petrol auto Toyota Yaris 1.3 and ithe XC90 will carry 7 people.

Roy
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 18:50   #7
Dave Brown

Hi Mancman,

The biggest piece of advice is quite simple, make sure you drive the manual, spoken to lots of potential/existing/renewing XC90 customer over the last five years (are they really that old now?)
And more people have been troubled with the manual than have liked it, even had a lady touting her 5 week old SE LUX with inscription, comms etc round as she absolutely hated it!
PS if its a company car, lots of lease companies/bigger companies will get support from Volvo equivilent to FOC geartronic, so you just have to allow for your slightly increased P11d liability

Dave
Dave Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:52   #8
cywprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancman View Post

Thanks
Any other users? My wife & kids prefer automatic. I prefer standard, especially for country roads. Driving can get boring on long hauls & sometimes having to make the effort to shift gears can reduce that problem. Especially if the vehicle is fun to drive. If given the choice I'd like @ least 6 gears. My wife & kids would prefer that I stay with the automatic. But sometimes you need a car that's just yours to drive.
Bill
cywprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 00:39   #9
DieselConvert
850, V70, XC90

Default Manual or Auto?

Bought a new 185 D5 SE in August - manual. Observations:
- speed sensitive steering is great - a must have
- love the manual - easy and very relaxed drive, but hard & fast acceleration when you want it. I feel the auto slushes out the acceleration (also have been driving an 02 V70 D5 manual 163bhp for 120K miles)

I feel in more control when needing to pop out fast on (say) a traffic island or junction. I think the car is quieter than an auto. No problems on hill starts with me or wife.

Agricultural "thump" when releasing the footbrake/handbrake is irritating and out of keeping a refined car, and I guess I use that brake more than I would in an auto.

Another minor irritation is that the top of my clutch foot can sometimes just brush the underside of hand/footbrake lever on gear changes.

Conclusion - driving the manual is great for me. Volvo's implementation of the hand/footbrake is C_ _p ! Amazed it got past user trials at design stage (if they even bothered, as c 85%+ volvos sell as auto)
DieselConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:19   #10
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselConvert View Post

Agricultural "thump" when releasing the footbrake/handbrake is irritating and out of keeping a refined car, and I guess I use that brake more than I would in an auto.
When releasing the "Parking" brake, one should first apply the foot brake and then pull the handle, this eliminating the "thump".

Learned this from driving Merc's.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote