Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting HIDs

Views : 425

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 14:11   #1
V50 Craig

Default Fitting HIDs

Hi all.

My car comes with halogens. Now does the V50 qualify to have HIDs fitted legally? I know some of the check boxes are headlight washers and projector lenses which it both has. I dont want stupidly bright blinding lights just the more modern white light that halogens cant recreate.

And would they pass an MOT?

Apologies if it's a regularly asked question
V50 Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 16:30   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You cannot legally fit HIDs inside a lens designed for halogen lamps.
The beam patterns, cutoff limits, and many other factors become unknown, and thus non-compliant with regulations

This effectively cancels the type approval of the vehicle and the vehicle is not allowed on the road.

You could swap out the entire headlamp assembly for a Xenon HID model from another Volvo. Including all the controls units and wiring loom changes, and then you need to deal with the software.... which will be an issue as Volvo never intended HIDs to be retrofitted, and thus they do not offer a config update for this.

Honestly, just fit brighter halogens and be done with it.
Brighter halogens will also not last as long as normal halogens, but that is the price you pay....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 17:06   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50 Craig View Post
Hi all.

My car comes with halogens. Now does the V50 qualify to have HIDs fitted legally? I know some of the check boxes are headlight washers and projector lenses which it both has. I dont want stupidly bright blinding lights just the more modern white light that halogens cant recreate.

And would they pass an MOT?

Apologies if it's a regularly asked question
you might find the reflectors have tarnished at the top ,
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 17:30   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The white/blue light is the type that dazzle. Headlights should be a yellow light
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 12:06   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The white/blue light is the type that dazzle. Headlights should be a yellow light
Light colour is not what dazzles, its the improper setup or allignment.
Lets not go back to 80' and start stripping 3rd brake light out aswell.. :P

to OP - your best option is to get bixenon projectors with sharp cutoff, any other attempt on using H7HID in projectors you have may result in dazzle and light leaks.
Is it legal? - technically not
can it be done properly - yes
will it pass MOT - dunno, probably depending on tester.

have a look at PDF from my signature, there is photostory on my bixenon retrofit, decide yourself if its worth it or not.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 12:59   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

the replacment projectors WITH H7 halogen bulbs are far far better for light on the road than the stock units,
IF its being able to see where your going, theres no "need" to go HID with them (use the ones from RFL , see LoB's guide for who/where and how) just skip the HID headaches he has

If its for the blue tinge to your lights, just to look good/cool dont bother all that does is stick a badge on the front of the car saying "w*anker inside"

unf LoB , the wavelength of the blue/white units does actually cause the "dazzling" effect, as well as the P-poor alignment, choosing the Wrong colour temp of the hid bulbs is the cause. Fitting the natural/daylight colour temps doesnt get that , , go have a chat with an optician about colour temps and dazzling/blinding effects, its an illuminating chat
how those german cars get past the part of the regulations that cover that gawd knows, LED can be blinding , distracting and dazzling all at the same time which IS illegal as per the construction and use , and road lighting laws...but probably like indicators that bmw/audi tw*ts never use its just ignored.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 13:12   #7
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
how those german cars get past the part of the regulations that cover that gawd knows, LED can be blinding , distracting and dazzling all at the same time which IS illegal as per the construction and use , and road lighting laws...but probably like indicators that bmw/audi tw*ts never use its just ignored.
yes, I get what you mean - to be clear I was referring to 4300-4500K spectrum of xenon colour I consider "normal". I am also baffled by some cars currently on the road (french cars, looking at you) that emits odd almost violet light of the "base spec" LEDs fitted just because those are cool. Some high-end matrix applications like new X5 or CLS can also be pretty annoying but those are close to 6000K+. I just dont agree with "lights should be yellow" statement. Lights should be white. not blue, not yellow - just white.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 13:35   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
yes, I get what you mean - to be clear I was referring to 4300-4500K spectrum of xenon colour I consider "normal". I am also baffled by some cars currently on the road (french cars, looking at you) that emits odd almost violet light of the "base spec" LEDs fitted just because those are cool. Some high-end matrix applications like new X5 or CLS can also be pretty annoying but those are close to 6000K+. I just dont agree with "lights should be yellow" statement. Lights should be white. not blue, not yellow - just white.
Front sidelights and headlamps can be yellow or white legally .
when headlamps changed from sealed beam or bulbs back in the 1970's the new halogen lights were just so white and bright . what has happened to halogen since ?
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 16:59   #9
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Front sidelights and headlamps can be yellow or white legally .
when headlamps changed from sealed beam or bulbs back in the 1970's the new halogen lights were just so white and bright . what has happened to halogen since ?
...xenons had happened.
and then LEDs.
and then matrix LEDs.
and then laser headlights
and since then nothing was good enough as there will always be something brighter/better...