Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on 'new' car...

Views : 607

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 22:33   #1
mwb1000

Thumbs up Advice on 'new' car...

Hello

I would appreciate any advice from experienced (and the not so experienced) 240 owners on things that I should look to do in terms of consolidated maintenance of my new, but very old 245 DL. It has been looked after - after a fashion, but I would welcome any advice in priority order about the things mechanical and bodily that I should check, replace to ensure she stays on the road.

The car is a 1975 model with 99k on the clock, B21A engine and M40 box. The car has been on the road - and ungaraged for all of it's life so has suffered from what I presume is the normal rust areas of these (i.e. rear arches, tailgate and tailgate slam panel) but apart from that is bodily sound. Apparently the cills are original. I think she has had one front strut leg replaced at one time, but not the other - and she is a bit unsettled during heavy breaking.

The cambelt was changed at 85k - which going by the old MOTs (I have all since 1977) would be about 15 years ago! - I assume a prime candidate for replacing?

I have used her recently for a few commutes to work (50 mile round trip) and she copes well with the motorway even in top (fourth) and can hold 75mph quite comfortably if a little noisy...

Fuel economy is about 22mpg over this route and speeds which I presume is about normal?

Anyway, any advice would be welcome.

Regards

Matt
1996 945 LPT Sold in 2006 - wish I hadn't now...
1975 245 De Luxe - Sold in 2006 - but still on the road
mwb1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 14:32   #2
Suterman
240 Turbo

give her a good service, oil, filters plugs and leads, change all fluids etc, check condition of brakes, get her up on some ramps if you can and inspect all the brake lines and fuel line, while your the there prod about the rusty bits with a screwdriver to make sure they havent gone right through and consider finding a decent welder/bodyshop to get the job done properly(if it need it)
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote