Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

engine upgrades

Views : 591

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 16:41   #1
gabriel

i have a question that i hope someone may be able to answer, i am almost the very happy owner of a 240 glt F reg estate with a 2.4 petrol engine and am intrested in what is possible in relation to engine upgrade. ideally i would like to put a more efficent turbo diesel engine in, and was wandering if anyone knew of this being done and if so what kind would be most suitable in regards to mountiings etc. and i am also intrested in running it on bio diesel, so an engine that would not need to much modification ideally. it also does not have to be a volvo engine (sorry to those purests that read this) although that would be better, but being a bit nieve as to what diesel engines volvo have made to don't really know, although the original 200 series diesel engine sounds a bit poor, so maybe some thing more modern and efficent would have more apeal. any help would be very much apprecieated.
cherrs gabriel
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 21:56   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The cheap easy and most practical green solution is to go lpg. This way you retain the benefits of the petrol engine with economy better than a diesel and low emissions - my 240 at MOT today was 0.03% CO and 163 ppm hydrocarbons. The cost is quite low - we run ours open loop (the most basic system) The equipment costs £475 saloon (estate with spare wheel tank + £175) and we fit in just over a day (about 3 days diy).
If you seriously want a diesel I would consider the later 7 series diesel engine (easier conversion but nor necessarily the best) otherwise 2.5 turbo diesel Peugeot engine is good but not cheap to buy and you would need a donor vehicle and parts would need fabricating which could be expensive. Some of the Jap engines would be usable but you need to check how they will fit to make sure the engine does not come too far forward and that they will clear the cross member. If the lump is much heavier than the petrol you would need to consider fitting 260 springs.
I personally on cost and ease of doing go down the lpg route. We have covered 100s of thousands of miles without any real problems and at a great cost saving.
Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote