Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed limiter

Views : 8908

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 06:02   #191
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
just another small step towards communism in my opinion. I won't go into the political views of the rest of the small steps going towards it.
Exceeding the speed limit may be breaking the law but its my right to own a car capable of doing so, guns kill but you can still own one!
heroin is illegal too but taxes pay for needle exchange clinics so it can be done but safer, not stop the supply
Easy step to control. How I see it.
While I would not describe it as communism, I fully agree it's a step further towards a totalitarian state.
The daylight saving regulations currently being passed by the EU will have a profound affect in Scotland, but they are being snuck through and will be a done deal before the people have any say.
That which the people decided will be ignored.
Children will be taught relationship matters irrespective of parents wishes.

At what point do govornments realise they are the servants not the masters?
The answer is when we the people demonstrate we are by not renewing their contracts.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 08:43   #192
Whippy
Premier Member

Except Paul, the particular government setting these rules is not our government, we have virtually no power to decide who these faceless decision makers are, we can't vote nor can we influence, just sit here and take this nonsense like good little serfs. Great innit. It's akin to being in a club, a club that announces that from now on you have to attend on a Tuesday, dressed in pink wearing a tutu and carrying a dead cat on a string. Oh, and it's ten grand a pop to come in. Why? Because "the committee" decided it, last week, at an unannounced meeting, to which we weren't invited. Great innit. Innit?
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 09:38   #193
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
While I would not describe it as communism, I fully agree it's a step further towards a totalitarian state.
The daylight saving regulations currently being passed by the EU will have a profound affect in Scotland, but they are being snuck through and will be a done deal before the people have any say.
That which the people decided will be ignored.
Children will be taught relationship matters irrespective of parents wishes.

At what point do govornments realise they are the servants not the masters?
The answer is when we the people demonstrate we are by not renewing their contracts.

Paul.
So how are the EU reducing the number of daylight hours in Scotland?
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:22   #194
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
You meant 8V (Volt) Viper...

As for your question "why would anyone want to break the law"...

Well let me paraphrase.

Why would anyone want to talk religion or politics on forum that forbids these subjects.

But in case of forum you may go to another one, one that allows such topics, and discuss it there.

How about a country or set of countries that without asking for peoples opinion has set national speed limit at 50mph. Just like that, Boom, done.

Come on, tell me that its impossible to happen. I know you want to.

No one asked me about ULEZ
No one asks me will it be OK to set 50mph on otherwise empty smart motorway
Now, excuse was given thanks to misinformation, and government can hide behind " will of the people" without giving **** about peoples will.. If you can't figure out what this one is about.. Well.. Then you can't figure it out.
It's quite simple, the limit can be varied by using cars gps system and will automatically change geographically, even lift altogether for recognised tracks and track use. That technology is here now. And making comparison to political and religious discussion.. Many of us don't like this so we protest. If anyone feels really strongly about the speed limiter stuff, as Paul hinted, get off your ass and protest. I don't feel a need to as I see it making perfect sense.

Edit...the blanket limit ban applies to European countries, which must mean, in this case, countries in EU? In which case we may, yet, be exempted...but we can't talk about that...politics. !! (I think it would use the Galileo system that Britain partially funded but will not be allowed to use if memory serves...so again, a GOOD thing to come out of brexit for you🤣😈&#129300

Last edited by biggbn; Mar 28th, 2019 at 10:52.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:54   #195
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
It's quite simple, the limit can be varied by using cars gps system and will automatically change geographically, even lift altogether for recognised tracks and track use. That technology is here now. And making comparison to political and religious discussion.. Many of us don't like this so we protest. If anyone feels really strongly about the speed limiter stuff, as Paul hinted, get off your ass and protest. I don't feel a need to as I see it making perfect sense.
OK.. Honest question and honest answer.

I'm straying into forbidden, I hope to be excused, and as to why.. Look below.

Biggbn.. For real, how much say do we have, we, ordinary people, ordinary grey folk, in decision-making or amending decisions of our governments?

I'm not asking how much say we SHOULD have.

I'm asking for your personal and as realustic as you can, view of how much we HAVE.

I'm not going to hide my view- there's f**k all that we can do.

We can protest to ours hearts content, we can organise marches, we can do whatever.

The only effect will be that one thing or another will be postponed until public calms down a bit, or renamed with more fancy words and implemented regardless.

Today its speed limiter with someone faceless setting speed limits,
Tomorrow it will be "pay per ride" in your own car (one of ways of retrieving lost pump tax)
And in few years we may same well end up paying for our front door of our homes to open, on each time we need to pass. (Ask Philip K Dick about this one)

It is a dark vision. But hey, I'm yet to see something actually positive and with capability of improving ones pleasure of life coming out from these.. beaurocrats...

Yeah.. Guy who is being DRIVEN to work, by chauffeur, is to decide on what's safe and what isn't on the road..

Ehh.. Enough is enough.. End of rant. I shouldn't have, maybe.. But I said it.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 11:02   #196
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
OK.. Honest question and honest answer.

I'm straying into forbidden, I hope to be excused, and as to why.. Look below.

Biggbn.. For real, how much say do we have, we, ordinary people, ordinary grey folk, in decision-making or amending decisions of our governments?

I'm not asking how much say we SHOULD have.

I'm asking for your personal and as realustic as you can, view of how much we HAVE.

I'm not going to hide my view- there's f**k all that we can do.

We can protest to ours hearts content, we can organise marches, we can do whatever.

The only effect will be that one thing or another will be postponed until public calms down a bit, or renamed with more fancy words and implemented regardless.

Today its speed limiter with someone faceless setting speed limits,
Tomorrow it will be "pay per ride" in your own car (one of ways of retrieving lost pump tax)
And in few years we may same well end up paying for our front door of our homes to open, on each time we need to pass. (Ask Philip K Dick about this one)

It is a dark vision. But hey, I'm yet to see something actually positive and with capability of improving ones pleasure of life coming out from these.. beaurocrats...

Yeah.. Guy who is being DRIVEN to work, by chauffeur, is to decide on what's safe and what isn't on the road..

Ehh.. Enough is enough.. End of rant. I shouldn't have, maybe.. But I said it.
Using that logic, why make such a fuss on a little nondescript forum which has zero clout, it will make no difference, you are only upsetting yourself?
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 11:18   #197
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Maybe so I know I'm not alone?

Its a web-net era..

Most feels lost and insignificant.

I know I'm important for my family, for friends..

And in the same time completely overlooked by these decision makers.

Zero influence.

I do like this forum. Its one of the kind. And I've seen few.

I do like this .. level-headness of most of discussions.

I do like that if one says something silly, will be corrected rather than ridiculed.

So... If not here, then where else?
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 12:02   #198
Spike56
Master Member

As a recognised curmudgeon I take some relish in arguing with my sat nav while driving.

I am constantly amused by the inaccuracies that pop up from time to time. The best of all of these is when I notice that the roadside speed limit is different to the sat nav's indicated speed. This could be road works or just changes made. Now given that 'smart' (oxymoron surely) motorways will have variable speed limits, which will not have been posted to the appropriate satellites, you may well find you are able to travel well in excess of the variable limit. Yes, it would be foolish to do so, but once the car has been used for several years at the 'limit' available, it would be easy to overreach the new limit accidentally.

Anything that takes away control of an object leaves the operator less likely to be focused on what is going on.

Autonomous cars.... If I break down on the carriageway, will the next vehicle see me? Will it decide the traffic has stopped and simply pull up behind and wait? Will it swerve into the next lane?

The technology isn't here yet! It is coming, but not for a while.

Oh and the pilots on that jet had not been trained on that particular set of equipment. They had 40(?) seconds to decide what the needed to do (but didn't know). How much training will we get on all this new procedure? Probably similar to the "We are introducing new smart motorways" get on with it!

Once computers were only used by qualified operators. Along came windows and we all became operators. Most of the population can switch a computer on but have no idea how they work, they just do. Once people become used to cars doing everything for them what happens when they stop doing something, like when you can't find something on your pc/laptop/phone? But you're travelling at 60mph in a tin can with maybe no brakes. What happens when the AI in charge thinks you are somewhere else altogether. My previous car (built in sat nav) would lose the road near Bewl Water constantly telling me that I was off road and showing me in a field! What speed limit there?

What of the older cars? They would be prohibitively expensive (if not impossible) to convert. Are they for scrappage?

If there is a built in override I would expect most drivers would simply ignore the system. Young drivers may end up not knowing any different (smart phone babies). The wealthy will mothball their gas guzzlers and enthusiasts will need a garage.

And we will gradually all turn beige and fade away!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 12:52   #199
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I seem to be a lonely voice but I cannot see how this limits choice, only enforces laws. My assumption would be older cars would be exempt as they are for several other newer legislative issues. The law must be pragmatic to work. Now, if I was to be forced to scrap of modify my existing car, THAT would be something I would protest about
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 12:54   #200
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Y'know..

There are stories that once heard/read/seen(movie) stay with you for a while...

There was once a habitat block (think of the ones in judge dredd, for example), huge thing, thousands of people..

There was a lil girl living there.

She was going to school etc, but school was a little bit different than we know.

For one, and most important thing, all the grading was based by monthly IQ test.

So the little girl had a test on the very day. She was immensely happy as in the last few seconds of that test she figured out an answer to one of more trickier questions. She came back home, and was greeted by very upset mother, who told her short- "you failed the test".
As a result of that they were given new living quarters, worse of course, but with bigger TV screen.
Now- watching TV was obligatory. And there weren't any interesting programmes in there. Just waves of colour with dull hipnotic music background.
Their allotted (must do) TV time got increased, too. More time in front of screen, that meant...

She run away from home 2 days later. She couldn't stand sight if mum and dad watching the screen, uncommunicative, suspended..

She went several levels down. To something like slums.
She met a man. No one knew who is he ir where us he from. He wasn't registered on the system either. He simply turned up one day and stayed.

He took her outside of habitat. A very forbidden thing. But outside, there was debris. Bits of metal, plastics.. Rubbish.
In a closed environment of habitat these things were terribly valuable.
So they were making more trips.

And he kept telling the girl what's happening.
That each year, uppermost inhabited level is being closed off and people transferred down. That couples need special permit to have child. That she (girl) was one precious gem to her parents, that parents sacrificed a lot to have her.
And that it would be stupid if she went back. Better to bring parents with her.

After months, she eventually did.

After stepping outside, patents nearly fainted. First time outside walls. First time seeing open space.. The sheer panic!

And he told them simple story...

There once was island.

Scientists inhabited that island with deer.

For deer, that island was heaven. No predators. No dangers. Abundance of food.
Year after year flock was doing fine.

Bit then strange things started to happen.

A female would kill newborn within minutes from birth.

Young stalls would attack and kill anything that moves. Young, old, healthy ir sick.

Scientists couldn't understand why.

After months, they came up with probable solution.

Flock had no space to grow. There was lots of food, but no space. No predators, no challenges.. But not space..

They couldn't make the island bigger, of course.

They could only make it smaller. Limit growth, limit numbers, limit more and more, close off every opportunity to grow..

Until the flock is manageable again.

(This story, book actually, was written some 40/years ago...)

Last edited by ThomasG; Mar 28th, 2019 at 13:08.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post: