Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated front seats not working (1994 850 T5)

Views : 2242

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 16:20   #1
dscam

Default Heated front seats not working (1994 850 T5)

Hi everyone,

Now that the colder weather is here I have had cause to use my heated seats for the first time since purchasing the car (1994 850 T-5 saloon).

Problem is this.....activating the switch for either front seat seems to have absolutely no effect. The orange light illuminates in the switch but no heat in the cushion at all.

I have owned a variety of Volvo and had one seat heater fail in the past (thermostat), but never known both to not work. I have checked the fuse covering the operation of the seat heaters but all appears to be in order.

Any suggestions or fixes (and estimate of any cost involved?).....all would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

D Cameron
(located Central Scotland)
Old Sep 25th, 2002, 16:56   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Heated front seats not working (1994 850

Three things usually cause this:
1. Disconnected wire under the seats due to kids or mechanics, or broken wire due to shoving the seat back and forth a few thousand times.

2. Relay busted - a few quid.

3. Heater element busted - have to be replaced by garage, not cheaply.

Let's hope it's no. 1

Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2002, 22:38   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Usual cause is broken (red) wire under seat.

There are no relays so discount that.

Heater elements can be a DIY job if your brave, there are two elements one in the seat and one in the back rest.

Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:23   #4
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Brain fade - meant thermostat, not relay.

Sorry.

Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2002, 23:58   #5
Andrew01

The drivers heated seat did not work in my 850 a wire had come off the thermostat (underneath the middle of the seat).

Regards

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:14   #6
dscam

Hi all,

Just want to thank everyone who has posted replies above so far.....all advice much appreciated.

I have had the car in at a dealer and they are saying it is most likely the thermostat(s).

Armed with above advice I was keem to explore the possibility of the wiring underneath being damaged, however they said they could not diagnose this - seemed odd that they could not. I imagine that the thermostat is a fairly pricey item and would be expensive to fit....am I right?

Perhaps I am getting cynical, but I suspect the dealer would rather chare for the thermostat work than a simple wiring job....

In any case, if the wire is indeed damaged is this a job easily tackled by and auto electrician etc?

Again, any further advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Regards,
Duncan
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 17:20   #7
Shandy

Hi,

mine don't work either (both sides) on my 850se. I've just had the car inspected by the AA (different story) and one of the things he noted was that the wires on the heated seat were broken. He used to work for Volvo and said that it was a common thing.

He also said that the seat works at any teperature below 14 degrees Celcius when you switch it on and that it automaticaly switches off when it reaches a pre-determined temp.

I'd go with the broken wire theory myself :)

Hope you get it sorted,

Andy
Old Oct 5th, 2002, 00:34   #8
kenbitt

Hey

I have a T5CD model 1995 " N " with ALL seats heated i turned on the drivers seat for the first time yesterday after owning the car for ALL of 6 days and it caught fire destroying most of the interior how unlucky am i ???? should the foam in the base of the seat be flame retardent ??? not according to my local volvo dealer.I`m wandering if anyone else has had the same problem ????.I think the car will be a right off :(.

KEN
Old Oct 8th, 2002, 16:49   #9
dscam

Thanks to everyone again for your posts.

Ken...I have read your main post and your reply here....sounds awful! I hope you have some joy with your insurers/AA/Volvo. Will be interested to read the updates.

As per the fault with my heated seats......dealer diagnosed loose wire on passenger seat and new seat base element needed for drivers side. Quoting a ost of about £96 to rectify....

I am guessing this is a Volvo supply only part and requires a fair bit of labour to fit....so the total price is likely to be even more. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Have a great day all.

Regards,
Duncan

'94 850 T5
Old Oct 8th, 2002, 17:07   #10
volvo850t5

Armed with the information you should be able to find out if an auto electrician or independent volvo garage could fix the problem.
Personally I would go through the yellow pages first.

Hope your days are filled with inexpensive warm bottoms!!!