Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Woolly Steering

Views : 913

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:30   #1
bulldog
Bulldog

Default Woolly Steering

I have a 95 GLT (2.5 10v). The steering feels a bit woolly and some times feels as though the car wanders on the road. When roads have been the subject to heavy vehicles and has trenches, the cars tramlines quite badly. The tracking has been checked/corrected (all four wheels not just the fronts), and new tyres all round. Now I think the track rod ends may be worn, is there anything else to check?
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:01   #2
WebAdmin

Wider tyres and tyre tread patterns and depth can cause bad tram-lining. How does it feel on a level smooth surface?

Bob Isaac
bob@volvoclub.org.uk
Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:05   #3
bulldog
Bulldog

Default RE: Woolly Steering

On a smooth surface it is not as stable as I would expect and wanders a bit, and the steering is a bit fague (a bit like my explanation!!)

On a full turn (while parking) I'm getting a slight clunking from the front wheel area (I pressume the CV joint are a bit worn). Would this be linked? The car only has 60K miles.
Old Oct 18th, 2002, 13:56   #4
WebAdmin

It should not wander unless there is a camber on the road, mine is as steady as a rock. Sounds like something is wrong. Needs a trusted mechanic to look at it I think.

Bob
Old Oct 18th, 2002, 13:58   #5
bulldog
Bulldog

Thanks for the reply.

Time to buy a Haynes manuel I thinks!! Otherwise, I can see lots of £'s being spent!!
Old Oct 19th, 2002, 21:20   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Which wheels/tyres are you using?

Is the tracking correct i.e no uneven wear, the factory toe in setting can be too much.

Have you checked the tyre pressures lately, seriously it makes a difference, as the weather gets colder they will need some more air.

The knock on full lock is likely to just be that the steering stops need greasing.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2002, 16:37   #7
Simon McL

My 850 is a bit like this also. I have done tracking etc and it is being related to too much play in the steering column somewhere. In a straight line I can turn the well left and right about 1" without the car moving at all !!

You could probably buy a car for the same cost as the repair.

Si

850 GLT '92