Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 4.4V8 Experiences

Views : 2853

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2015, 10:05   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Looking at the front (naturally!) there is the main grill, then below that a honeycomb grill. Both let air flow to the engine.
Now, looking again, where the fog lights are fitted, there is also some "honeycomb" but air can't get through as they are one-piece plastic affairs. Certainly a possible inlet location for air, particularly given the existing honeycomb in the centre.

One thing that is annoying is the complete absence of any dials to indicate engine condition such as temperature or oil pressure.

Yes Don, they are undoubtedly registered here, regular or otherwise, and always welcome to log in to comment.

Des. . .
Its better than gauges you will soon know about it if the temperature is too high or low and also the oil pressure , level and temperature etc .. It is always being monitored behind the scenes unlike you or me looking at
a gauge now and then .
Old May 17th, 2015, 18:17   #12
brickman
Premier Member

^^^ I prefer this approach

GM Saab's all have a 'night panel' button which kills everything (and the lights) except the speedo. Dials calmly come to life and the backlight fade up only when needed.

i.e. starting the car cold the coolant & oil temp's will be displayed until both fully warm, then they will turn off and return to zero.
Boost pressure and Rpm will only come on as you go WOT or over ~4/5rpm

Information only when you need it. Works fine in these sort of long distance cruiser cars. If you are a track enthusiast, then yes, it is very important to know the oil pressure in a minimum of two locations, but not so much for cruising down the M6 @ 5am on your way to the continent.
Old May 31st, 2015, 19:26   #13
Derkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
The barge like handling is the best thing about my S80. Its so damned comfortable.
Certainly makes it enjoyable on a cruise but it's a liability on the twisty stuff.
I've come from a range of v8 and v6 jags, omegas or audi quattros all RWD or AWD and they made both cruisers and sprinters. Maybe the FWD of the S80 and the lack of power is a factor but it certainly doesn't like a back road blast.
Derkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 04:13   #14
Zeddicus

Derkins, which S80 have you got?

I must admit, the test drive I had recently in a V8 SE Sport with the 4C chassis was very different to the ride I remember from the SE Lux V8 I had a couple of years ago.

With the 4C chassis, in advanced or sport setting, it certainly seemed to tighten up the handling a lot and made the car a lot more chuckable. Not as much as my Subaru Legacy R Spec B, but still a LOT better than the SE Lux...
Zeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 10:46   #15
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkins View Post
Certainly makes it enjoyable on a cruise but it's a liability on the twisty stuff.
I've come from a range of v8 and v6 jags, omegas or audi quattros all RWD or AWD and they made both cruisers and sprinters. Maybe the FWD of the S80 and the lack of power is a factor but it certainly doesn't like a back road blast.
FWD, soft springs and shocks do not make a sporting car, its epically unsporting but I drive sedately so it doesn't bother me.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 00:54   #16
Zeddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
FWD, soft springs and shocks do not make a sporting car, its epically unsporting but I drive sedately so it doesn't bother me.
I really do think, albeit based on a 20 min test drive, that the 4C chassis makes it pretty close to the best of both worlds.

Mt R Spec B is fantastic for being a relatively large car (big enough to pack the family into for a day out) and yet handles like a dream through the twisty stuff. However, when I want to just waft, the suspension is quite jittery as its so hard.

I loved the way my S80 SE Lux V8 could waft along and gobble up the miles, but I couldn't chuck it around.

The S80 SE Sport V8 with the adaptable chassis still has as much waftability in the Comfort setting, but gets a lot closer to the R Spec B's chuckability.

Reminds me a bit, it terms of ride, of a Jag XF I had a few years back, albeit not quite as fluid a chassis...
Zeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeddicus For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 13:28   #17
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus View Post
I really do think, albeit based on a 20 min test drive, that the 4C chassis makes it pretty close to the best of both worlds.

Mt R Spec B is fantastic for being a relatively large car (big enough to pack the family into for a day out) and yet handles like a dream through the twisty stuff. However, when I want to just waft, the suspension is quite jittery as its so hard.

I loved the way my S80 SE Lux V8 could waft along and gobble up the miles, but I couldn't chuck it around.

The S80 SE Sport V8 with the adaptable chassis still has as much waftability in the Comfort setting, but gets a lot closer to the R Spec B's chuckability.

Reminds me a bit, it terms of ride, of a Jag XF I had a few years back, albeit not quite as fluid a chassis...
I had a Merc E class on Bilstein B12's and Eibach springs. It was epic but the ground clearance a bit crap plus it messed with the alignment and never could really sort it. Ride was actually ok, good quality shocks and progressive springs take the sting out of bumps. Rode better than the standard Merc sport springs but took the handling to another level.

I'd not repeat the exercise tbh simply as getting the alignment sorted was a nightmare and took about 4 goes as it kept changing as the car settled lower and lower on the springs as they bedded in.

Now with a DD40 against me, the S80 is ideal.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote