Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 test

Views : 1156

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2016, 12:13   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default V90 test

Andrew English writing in the car section of the Saturday Telegraph reviewed the V90 D5 and gave it a very rare 5 star rating. Should also be available online I guess.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 19:01   #2
Mezza

Great review. Feels like Volvo really is on the move and beginning to compete with the German rivals (just need to work on the dealer experience).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/volvo/volvo-v90-review/
Mezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 08:54   #3
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
Great review. Feels like Volvo really is on the move and beginning to compete with the German rivals (just need to work on the dealer experience).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/volvo/volvo-v90-review/
Very nice review. I am surprised it tips two tons. Also surprised about rear seats height but not that it matters. Southern Spain testing also means ride comments are irrelevant- both heat and good roads make it inapplicable for Uk. First test drive of PowerPulse. Sounds like a winner.

He has a hate following this guy on swedespeed for his unflattering remarks on T8 xc90 back in December. Interestingly a recent US review had exactly same complaints about T8 as compared to T6 as he did and they are getting banned on swedespeed by the look of it.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 10:52   #4
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Very nice review. I am surprised it tips two tons. Also surprised about rear seats height but not that it matters. Southern Spain testing also means ride comments are irrelevant- both heat and good roads make it inapplicable for Uk. First test drive of PowerPulse. Sounds like a winner.

He has a hate following this guy on swedespeed for his unflattering remarks on T8 xc90 back in December. Interestingly a recent US review had exactly same complaints about T8 as compared to T6 as he did and they are getting banned on swedespeed by the look of it.
Who's getting banned on Swedespeed? The guy who wrote the US review or the people who hate him for it?
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 13:49   #5
AB-UK
Premier Member

Why would Volvo create a car bigger than the V70 but with less load space????
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 16:00   #6
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Who's getting banned on Swedespeed? The guy who wrote the US review or the people who hate him for it?
Figure of speech - they just bash reviewer for an honest opinion.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 16:15   #7
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Why would Volvo create a car bigger than the V70 but with less load space????
I am glad that they did. They focused on intangibles which is what makes the car special. It's true they alienate some of the existing Volvo clientele but let's face it price point has already done that. Now they cannot justify higher prices by still focusing on the large boot. Mercedes can only do this because they have the Mercedes name that they can dilute a bit by making it butt ugly in the effort to get the largest boot and top one category in all comparisons. Volvo has an uphill battle with the name. So they focused on premium feel. Honestly, how many people will there be for whom v70 boot is big enough and v90 is not. This will be pushing people who were between Volvo and ford to ford but not to other premium makes they are trying to beat.
All the reviews have similar conclusions. Now xc90 was full 5stars with very few reservations to get this kind of sales momentum and it was already building up on previous category topper. The 4 stars and not clearly beating the competition might not be enough to entice the people to switch to Volvos in that sector. If it is then I think they just added a good chunk to future residuals of our xc90s. I do think it was a mistake to go with s90/v90 first. They should have gone with new xc60 and destroyed competition there and then stepped up to sedan/estates which are a declining sector.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 16:21   #8
Deman77
Master Member

Deleted duplicate
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 16:23   #9
neon
Premier Member

It certainly has the wow factor in appearance terms.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 17:03   #10
AB-UK
Premier Member

The reason I bought my first XC90 was that the V70's loadspace was was just not enough for the scuba equipment my family used. I wrote to Volvo Sweden at the time and asked why they hadn't created an estate version of the S80, which at the time was the flagship model. The reply was that they thought such an estate would be too big!!!

Back then, commentators were saddened that the V70 wasn't as roomy as the 940/960 series, beloved by antique dealers apparently.

I loved my 2003 XC90, but I would have bought a larger estate instead if it had been available to replace my lovely 855 SE. I have subsequently bought another XC90, a 2011 Exec, and because I still like them I am considering the mark II model, although it's quite a bit more expensive to get a like-for-like version.

Hence my comment above. The new V90 is bigger and heavier than the V70, yet carries a smaller load, and for anyone wanting a load-lugger therefore (which used to be Volvo's estate car target buyers) it is a case of style over substance imho.

Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely looking car, and the technology it contains is very current, and perhaps it's lesser loadspace is deliberate so that it doesn't compete with the new XC90.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote