Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo LPG Conversions - What is the best car and system?

Views : 10275

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 22:17   #1
SteveV40

Default Volvo LPG Conversions - What is the best car and system?

Hello all... My trusty 2002 V40 1.8 SE BiFuel which I got at 60k has now passed 250k, and is still going strong. To extend its life I am thinking of semi-retiring it but I have a dilema over whether to jump to diesel (gulp), or to look at a more modern petrol vehicle 2-5 years old, and have it LPG converted since Volvo have stopped the BiFuel models. I currently get a real all in average fuel cost of 14.1 pence per mile, based upon 4 months careful recording over a distance in excess of 12,000 miles (mainly out of town and on motorways) and filling the petrol tank when doing the main calculation. That gives me an equivalent of almost 45MPG, based upon fuel cost. My last full fill to full fill delivered a cost per mile of 12.69 pence, although it is warmer now and both fuels have been cheaper recently. To match the 14.1ppm average, I would need a diesel to give me 45mpg on the road (not "official" figures) and I am looking for an improvement to 60+ really.
So.... Does anyone have any thoughts on what petrol Volvo would give me a long life and a 60+ MPG (equivalent) with an LPG conversion? And what conversion would be the best? I do about 35k+ per year, so the base costs are not the real issue, but running costs are. I have to say, my BiFuel has been fantastic. Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks. Steve.
SteveV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveV40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 22:50   #2
Pete_c20

Hi Steve,
I can't help you out on which modern Volvo or which LPG system but one thing I would say on choice of LPG system, if you do go that way, is to look for a fully active LPG system. My reasoning is this -
After rebuilding my S40's LPG system (Necam / Koltec system with passive injectors) due to a progressively worsening LPG economy, I found that even though it's been setup with the correct pressures it's inadvertently become slightly optimised for long motorway runs. I now get about 10% more miles out of a tank than even when the car was new. However, urban cycle is now slightly worse. It makes me think that a system that was better mapped/dosed at both ends would be a best of both worlds. As it is I think I have a single point of optimisation.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete_c20 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 23:28   #3
SteveV40

Many thanks Pete. You are commenting on an area in which I have little knowledge, as my LPG experience is only on my BiFuel, so thank you for sharing it with me. I am curious as to what kind of economy you were getting on your original S40 system, as that is the same system as mine. I have been very lucky with it, as it has never had a "proper" service, although I have changed filters and cleaned the distributor. I should really put another thread up on what constitutes an LPG service, as I am sure I would learn from it! Many thanks again.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 00:00   #4
Pete_c20

Aircon which is known to reduce your fuel economy has never been turned off in the car, so if it had of been, these figures would probably have been better.

At new on motorway, with 43L of LPG I usually got between about 250-260miles, with 270 miles absolute max (constant 70mph, one continuous trip, wind blowing the right way, wing mirrors folded in).
At new, non-motorway was usually 180-220miles from 43L of LPG.

NB. My tank capacity has reduced from new (see new thread) so LPG figures have changed in this next bit.
Before vapouriser diaphragm was fixed (it had gone all sticky and had began to disintegrate but hadn't actually pinholed) motorway and urban were not much different and on a bad day I'd get only about 100 miles to about 40L of LPG. But the car still ran fine.

After the vapouriser was fixed I get 270-290miles from about 40L of LPG on a motorway, and 160-190 miles urban.

The car has one code showing in the basic OBD2 readout and that is its longterm fuel trim being 5% rich, which I'm still figuring out, but could also explain its bias to better fuel economy on longer trips. I don't have a DICE ODB2 reader to see all its bits.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete_c20 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 01:26   #5
SteveV40

Those are impressive figures! I have never got anywhere near.. the very best I have ever achieved is about 210. Did you overhaul the vapouriser diaphragm yourself?
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 22:34   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

For conversion you can rule out the 1.6 as its slow and poor on fuel. The 1.8 GDI is a no go as you have to run a petrol/lpg mix to keep the petrol injectors functioning.

Best engines are the 1.8 and 2ltr

Both the T4 and T5 can be done if you are looking for more of a performance car.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 22:13   #7
SteveV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
For conversion you can rule out the 1.6 as its slow and poor on fuel. The 1.8 GDI is a no go as you have to run a petrol/lpg mix to keep the petrol injectors functioning.

Best engines are the 1.8 and 2ltr

Both the T4 and T5 can be done if you are looking for more of a performance car.
Thanks Dai. In terms of a Volvo model, what car lends itself best to longevity and economy? I am thinking of buying something at about 50K and keeping it til it dies, as I have done with all my Volvos. Many thanks.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 23:09   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

For me it would be a 240 or 940!

The S/V40 is not as well built (heavy duty) as the bigger Volvo's but still good for the size range. The 60/70 and 80 series are better imo but do suffer with a few common faults.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 10:04   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV40 View Post
Thanks Dai. In terms of a Volvo model, what car lends itself best to longevity and economy? I am thinking of buying something at about 50K and keeping it til it dies, as I have done with all my Volvos. Many thanks.
Hi Steve

Well in 2005 I bought a 1997 V70 CD auto with 53,000 miles on, and I had the car converted to run on LPG.

Over eight years later I still have the car. The mileage is now 293,000 and although it's not quite the car it once was, it's still here and it's still running!

I reckon to have saved something in the region of £15,000 in fuel costs over the time I've had the car.

There have only been two reasons why I've kept the same car for this length of time : Firstly, the LPG has been a storming cost-saving success, and secondly the car is so totally comfortable, reliable, practical and utterly brilliant.

Were I doing the same again I'd start with a V70 - the 'old' shape pre-2000 Classic if I could find one!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 13:15   #10
volvobaggen

I would go for the Volvo 945 estate. Last of the true tractors. A very ABC-car with no surprises.

If you want a slightly more modern and comfortable car, Volvo´s P80-platform gives a lot of value for your money.
volvobaggen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvobaggen For This Useful Post:

Tags
best volvo to convert, high mpg, lpg conversion