Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 as a daily driver?

Views : 7246

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2015, 00:27   #1
Rd77

Default 240 as a daily driver?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, I hope it's ok to ask.. How many of you use your 240 as a daily driver? I need to buy a replacement estate, and thought i might go for a 240 as I think it will hold it's value better than a modern estate.. I'm concerned about fuel costs though.. I like the idea of lowering and upgrading wheels, and possibly installing lpg to deal with the fuel issue though, and I've found one in great condition.. Maybe a V70 would be more sensible though? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.. Richard.
Rd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 08:36   #2
mad matt

I have been using a 240 as my very day car and I am using lpg and my car gets used for towing my car trailer
mad matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:23   #3
mylittletony
Master Member

I use mine every day and it's not even a fuel injected version. I really enjoy it as it's as good in almost all respects as a 10-15yr old car, but much more interesting than my old daily (a Rover 45 TD)

Driven sensibly, you should see 30mpg+ which is probably what a modern petrol Volvo would get, although a bit faster!
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 11:33   #4
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

If youre worried about mpg, buy a Nissan Leaf. If you want character, buy a 240.

The main thing is what you spend on getting less mpg you save on not having depreciation. A 240 Wont decline in value.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 14:51   #5
240T
VOC Member

Daily driver here too..
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 15:45   #6
BassplayerSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cornish View Post
Daily driver here too..
And me too - a 3 day a week commute into Wakefield - around 30mpg & a nice warm heater too!
BassplayerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 15:55   #7
jordi

It's my most sensible daily.

Not sure on MPG but i know its more than my Suzuki Samurai.
jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 17:17   #8
JCM

Mine ('87 GL auto saloon) used as everyday car and have just completed a trip to Cornwall and back, brim-to-brim, 31.2 mpg. Runs like a Swiss watch !
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 18:24   #9
coaster22

Use mine everyday 240 saloon on carb , only 4 speed box , 25mpg ish .... Lovely to drive, 5 speed much better for longer distances motorways etc.
coaster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 19:02   #10
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Another issue which makes a 240 a very practical daily driver is the cheapness and easiness of repairs.

Compare for instance how much it would cost to replace a clutch or exhaust on a 240 vs anything made after the mid-90s eg a V70 (let alone a newish Audi etc). Compare prices of basic service items for a 240 with other modern cars.

I have a later 240 with LH fuel injection - and it's a great compromise between having a bit of engine management to help keep it running well and fuel economy within reason, and not being rocket science to repair. The brakes and suspension are fine for modern traffic.

Another practical aspect is you can see the outer extremities of the car - eg - when parking in tight spots. I find with modern cars the bonnet slopes away and it's hard to judge where the corners of the car are (unless it's got those sensors).

And 240's hold their value.

I think all those savings are worth the slightly higher fuel bill. And anyway - after all that recent scandal about VW diesel emissions, and the fact that diesel particles are much worse than petrol (the city of Paris is banning private diesel cars soon), it's probably not such a great idea to make fuel savings with a diesel engine.

John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote