Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering a V90 R design - ride quality?

Views : 2515

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 13:31   #1
Beetlebug71

Default Considering a V90 R design - ride quality?

Hi All,

Looking for some advice from those with experience of the V90 R design.

I am considering getting a V90 D4 R design. To keep to a budget I would be looking at an example with stock 18” wheels and standard suspension. From researching the car I notice a number of reviewers seem to comment on the harsh and very firm ride.

Unfortunately, my local dealer only has a momentum for a test drive at the moment so, I am wondering if anyone could share their experiences of the ride quality of this model.

For comparison, I have owned a 3 series M-Sport and recently driven the new 5 series which were firm but not harsh in general driving.

In addition, I fully understand this is a big car, but do you find any issues with parking and manoeuvring in multi-storey car parks?

I have had previously had a large estate (Honda Accord) but these are that little bit longer.

Many thanks in advance
Beetlebug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 14:02   #2
MCV60
Master Member

I don’t find the ride firm. The ride on the V90 R design on 18” wheels is a lot less harsh than the equivalent V60 IMO.

As for manouvability round multi-story car park. You’ll soon get used to how long the bonnet is when navigating tight spaces, approaching barriers, ticket machines and such like.

Great comfy car! 👍🏼
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 20:03   #3
anotherv60
Master Member

Hi Bettlebug,

I test drove a lot of cars over the last 6 months before buying my V90 D4 R Design (here are my thoughts on this: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278099). The R design is a firmer ride than the momentum in my opinion, but on the 18 inch wheels the ride is really good, personally the reviews I have read online do not match with my driving experience with them stating the ride is firm and abrupt...The V90 is generally quieter than its competitors, but perception is a tricky thing, with a quiet cabin the intrusion of other noises can make it appear unsettled, an extreme example of this is the BMW I3, it is quiet, but the road and wind noise are so annoying you just don't want to travel at speed in it, I think that is because there is no sound from the engine.

Check out the V90 Cross Country if you want the most comfortable ride possible in a Volvo - the higher ride and set up make it extremely comfortable - I would buy a V90CC but the deals on the R Design are just too good to miss for my Yorkshire blood.

In my opinion the A6 and the 5 series are much more firmer riding than the R Design and there seats are pants, off set pedals - why!>!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anotherv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 13:21   #4
uro1

I can´t comment on the ride from personal experience. But you should keep in mind that there is always a big difference in comfort between the 18" and 21/22" wheels. Unfortunately Volvo provides reviewers usually with cars that "feature" the biggest wheels possible.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 14:29   #5
Belmont84

I’m not worried about the ride comfort after M-Sport suspension!
Belmont84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 14:37   #6
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Hi,

When you're ready please drop me a message as we currently have some deals on V90 D5 AWD R-Design which would probably make them cheaper than a D4...

Kind Regards

Marc

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 18:16   #7
gordonfleming

Default Not bad at all

Ive owned an r design v90 t4 on 19s for three months and am happy with the ride.Ok it is a bit firm but i feel its more involving than the momentum i tested twice.I owned a 2004 325 beemer m sport and feel the ride is very similar .Im sure youll be happy with it.
gordonfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 14:02   #8
Berkshirebob

My car on 18’s is considerable softer/wallowy’/boat-like than our golf diesel on 16’ wheels. No idea why anyone (on 18’s) would ever think it was firm or in the slightest way uncomfortable.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 14:52   #9
Boatie
Master Member

The V90 R Design I pick up next week is on 20" OMG. I had a petrol version, again on 20" wheels last week and I didn't find the ride too harsh. Can't really comment on noise as my hearing is less than 100%. With my present car V90 D4 I don't find most car parks a problem. The sensors front, rear and sides help as does the 360 camera. In fact the only time I've grazed a bumper I had the front sensors and the sensors on both sides all going at the same time and I lost focus on the N/S/F. As for the general size you soon get used to it.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 15:14   #10
redbuta

Had a V90 R design D4 with standard suspension as courtesy car.

Mixed city drive (speed bumps, patchy roads, roundabout etc.) and short stretch of motorways.

The suspension feels firmer. But personally I never felt it harsh compared with XC90 (235/55/R19 tyres).

I came from non-sporty family cars like Toyotas, Lexus, Fords, Skoda Superb II, Mini F55 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebug71 View Post
Hi All,

Looking for some advice from those with experience of the V90 R design.

I am considering getting a V90 D4 R design. To keep to a budget I would be looking at an example with stock 18” wheels and standard suspension. From researching the car I notice a number of reviewers seem to comment on the harsh and very firm ride.

Unfortunately, my local dealer only has a momentum for a test drive at the moment so, I am wondering if anyone could share their experiences of the ride quality of this model.

For comparison, I have owned a 3 series M-Sport and recently driven the new 5 series which were firm but not harsh in general driving.

In addition, I fully understand this is a big car, but do you find any issues with parking and manoeuvring in multi-storey car parks?

I have had previously had a large estate (Honda Accord) but these are that little bit longer.

Many thanks in advance