Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025226

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 15:26   #211
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Quote:~ " so I'll do the system flush and fit the new thermostat I have (maybe the PO knew it needed one after all?)"

Central heating descaler/cleaner is ideal for this purpose:~ mixed metals are safe (I use this on cast iron & aluminium) far better that the car shop radiator cleaners- just follow the instruction.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 15:52   #212
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Quote:~ " so I'll do the system flush and fit the new thermostat I have (maybe the PO knew it needed one after all?)"

Central heating descaler/cleaner is ideal for this purpose:~ mixed metals are safe (I use this on cast iron & aluminium) far better that the car shop radiator cleaners- just follow the instruction.
Bob.
Cool.
Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 17:07   #213
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi Dave,

By electric fan do you mean an electric coupling or an electrically powered fan? Would one fit from a later car, or is there perhaps an aftermarket kit?

Alan

PS. Rugby time: come on England!
I fitted an electric fan to Olaf that came off a 1980 FWD Toyota with a set of fabricated metal brackets; the late 940 Turbos have an electric fan that can be "persuaded" to fit by cutting up the plastic shroud (the 940 rad is wider), which is what SFSS has fitted. Be warned though: the 940 fan is EXTREMELY efficient, cutting the temp down in seconds but it needs a 35-amp fuse on the output side of the relay.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 17:52   #214
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I fitted an electric fan to Olaf that came off a 1980 FWD Toyota with a set of fabricated metal brackets; the late 940 Turbos have an electric fan that can be "persuaded" to fit by cutting up the plastic shroud (the 940 rad is wider), which is what SFSS has fitted. Be warned though: the 940 fan is EXTREMELY efficient, cutting the temp down in seconds but it needs a 35-amp fuse on the output side of the relay.
This fan from eBay claims to fit the 240:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Truck...QAAOSwCH9bc-PH

It would need some sort of control system as well.

I'm guessing there might be later 240s with an electo-magnetic clutch that might be an easier fit? The Royal Barge's fixed fan does look a bit tractoresque - a reminder of how things used to be.

:-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 18:01   #215
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Perhaps it would pay to remove the solid coupled fan entirely Alan with a view to converting to electric operation come the summer? It would warm up a lot quicker (saving a lot of fuel and engine wear) and be a hell of a lot quieter!

At this time of year, you don't really need a cooling fan anyway and even Volvo eventually progressed to electric fans for this reason.

Even if you did it as an experiment for a few short trips, i'm sure you'd see the difference and would give you the time to decide whether to make it a permanent change or revert back to the solid fan later.
Hi Dave,

I wonder whether this viscous coupling would be a good modification, and perhaps quite easy to fit, what do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183405201197

Alan
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 19:57   #216
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Dave,

By electric fan do you mean an electric coupling or an electrically powered fan? Would one fit from a later car, or is there perhaps an aftermarket kit?

Alan

PS. Rugby time: come on England!
I was thinking more an aftermarket kit Alan. It's possible a 940 fan/radiator might fit but would be a bit of a faff i expect.

Quote:
This fan from eBay claims to fit the 240:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Truck...QAAOSwCH9bc-PH

It would need some sort of control system as well.

I'm guessing there might be later 240s with an electo-magnetic clutch that might be an easier fit? The Royal Barge's fixed fan does look a bit tractoresque - a reminder of how things used to be.

:-)
That fan on ebay is a bit small Alan - it's only 6". Could really do with about a 16" fan really. Something like this but you'd need ro measure your radiator to see what size would fit best ;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...t/223768784458

Control system is easy enough, +ve feed from the battery through a 30A fuse to terminal 30 on a standard 4-pin relay, terminal 87 to +ve on the fan motor.
Terminal 86 feed from ignition +ve and take terminal 85 to a thermoswitch. This could be mounted in the radiator if there is a hole for it or in a coolant hose adaptor. You'd need a 97-92C switch. Other temrinal on the switch goes to a good earth.

Quote:
Hi Dave,

I wonder whether this viscous coupling would be a good modification, and perhaps quite easy to fit, what do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183405201197

Alan
I'm not a big fan of viscous couplings, no pun intended. I'd rather spend the money on an electric fan and have done with it. Less troblesome in the long run!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 20:21   #217
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I was thinking more an aftermarket kit Alan. It's possible a 940 fan/radiator might fit but would be a bit of a faff i expect.

That fan on ebay is a bit small Alan - it's only 6". Could really do with about a 16" fan really. Something like this but you'd need ro measure your radiator to see what size would fit best ;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...t/223768784458

Control system is easy enough, +ve feed from the battery through a 30A fuse to terminal 30 on a standard 4-pin relay, terminal 87 to +ve on the fan motor.
Terminal 86 feed from ignition +ve and take terminal 85 to a thermoswitch. This could be mounted in the radiator if there is a hole for it or in a coolant hose adaptor. You'd need a 97-92C switch. Other temrinal on the switch goes to a good earth.

I'm not a big fan of viscous couplings, no pun intended. I'd rather spend the money on an electric fan and have done with it. Less troblesome in the long run!
Thank you Dave. I'll get the measuring tape out in the morn. This might be quite a nice modification for about £30.

Alan
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 21:19   #218
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you Dave. I'll get the measuring tape out in the morn. This might be quite a nice modification for about £30.

Alan
If you also measure the diameter fo the top hose stub on the rad, i think i have an alloy coolant hose sensor adaptor and switch that i bought for my 740 and never fitted. WOn't fit my 760 (too small bore i believe) so is surplus to requirements. Fairly sure the switch is 97-92C as well so right on the temperature rating.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 23:24   #219
Bugjam1999
Master Member

If you decide to go for an electric fan, a 940 one can be cut down on one side to fit the 240 radiator very easily and neatly - I have one in my car.

If your radiator was replaced at some point, it might have a bung for a temp sensor at the top on the back of the offside- ie near the drivers side headlight. If it does, an intermotor 50050 temp switch will fit and control the fan to come on at just slightly over horizontal on the gauge.

The reason for the bung is that some 740 (or 940? Not quite sure) cars use the same size radiator and have an temp switch in that position- as far as I’m aware no 240s had electric fans from new, just the fixed fans like yours and then later the fans with a viscous coupling.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 00:32   #220
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post

The reason for the bung is that some 740 (or 940? Not quite sure) cars use the same size radiator and have an temp switch in that position- as far as I’m aware no 240s had electric fans from new, just the fixed fans like yours and then later the fans with a viscous coupling.

Cheers
The bung was for cars with Air-con to switch the cooling fan on either when the A/C was running or if the engine temperature rose above normal becasue of the extra heat dissipated by the A/C condenser (radiator looking thing for the A/C in front of the rad) and the Intermotor is 92-87C so is a bit "cold", really needs to be 97-92C, especially if the OP is fitting a 92C 'stat.

To explain the "97-92C" the switch makes at 97C and breaks at 92C so it doesn't come on until the temperature is 5C above the 92C 'stat, fan runs then switches off when it's dropped the temperature to 92C.

There is a "hotter" version of the switch, i'll have a look and try to find the number later. I'll also dig out the coolant hose sensor adaptor and switch i have tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: