Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 electrics

Views : 654

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 02:37   #1
ZoeJane

Unhappy V50 electrics

Hiya,

About 3 times in the last 1 1/2 years I've had a warning light come up saying something along the lines of air bag service urgently required or that they are disabled, when that comes up my windows wouldn't open or close. This only lasted for 10 mins maximum!
A week ago the same message came up again, and again my windows wouldn't open/close but this time the seatbelt alarm was going off (seatbelt was being worn and I stopped and plugged all the others in to see if that would stop it and it didn't) and the key remote to unlock/ lock the car won't work either. It's been nearly a week now and it's still the same.

Any ideas what this might be and how much to fix?
Thanks!
ZoeJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:53   #2
pinballdave

These cars often have intermittent connector problems. The contacts in the connector get a little bit tarnished and don't make a good connection any more and you get strange fault symptoms turning up every now and then.

The solution is often to simply unplug and reconnect the offending connector in the wiring harness. Finding which connector is causing the problem is harder.

Typically the connectors on the 'CEM' (the fuse box that sits under the glove box), are known to cause problems and are usually the first to be checked. In your case I'd also suspect the door harness connectors, as the problem involves the windows.

If these steps don't solve the problem, then you will need to connect the car up to a diagnostics system to find out what has triggered these warnings. Most generic fault code readers are unlikely to give sufficient detail, so it might need main dealer diagnostics (VIDA). You may be able to find a Volvo enthusiast local to you who has a VIDA/DICE diagnostics reader, which will save the cost of a visit to the dealer.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 00:03   #3
volvo for ever
Premier Member

remove a-pillar door plugs clean up and refit

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 06:47   #4
ozfiddler

Did you sort this out? I have just got the same symptoms in my 2010 V50. I have been checking with DICE/VIDA and there are all sorts of weird error messages that come and go. It's like the electronics have got coronavirus.

I will pull out the CEM tomorrow and clean contacts and refit all plugs to see if that helps. But I'd be interested to know if you found out what was going on.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 10:18   #5
ZoeJane

Talking

Yes! It was the connectors in the door (thanks pinballdave!) and also cleaned out the a-pillar door plugs (thanks volvoforever!). Both did the trick! Goodluck.
ZoeJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 07:23   #6
ozfiddler

It looks like the first thing I tried has worked! Took out the door harness plug, applied contact cleaner then contact enhancer and replaced. Everything seems to be back to normal. That was quite an alarming set of apparent faults for a simple bad connection. Thanks for the advice.

One weird thing I discovered though. When I got the car I was given 2 identical keys - one of the emergency keys works for locking and unlocking, but the other only locks, the unlock won't turn. That's annoying as it means I dare not use it (in case this problem happens again) so I will have to share the one working key with my wife.

Last edited by ozfiddler; Mar 25th, 2020 at 07:30.
ozfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbags, electics, remote key, seatbelt alarm, windows