Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Engine Cut Out

Views : 14541

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2011, 09:26   #11
docjd

Big Ted-that sounds like something is possibly short circuiting?
Could a good autoelectrician possibly help?
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare!
docjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 21:50   #12
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
.. bit of a random thought. Do any of you have integrated phones fitted ?
It's never happened to me (and I do) - but I seem to recall a few years ago someone on here being able to link cutting out with a random interaction with the phone. i.e they'd just taken a call on it - or taken another call on another phone in the car.
I think they had just come off a motorway and narrowly avoided being hit from behind.

Don't want to panic anyone - if any of the above don't have a phone that'll rule it out. But does sound like electrical interference/gremlin.
Very worrying though.

Cheers
Ian.
I'm impressed I found it so quickly - but here is the article I was thinking of.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=13834&page=2
Not quite the same as cutting out - but reference was made to possible electronic interference.
Just a thought - maybe the problem has moved to a different component that's vulnerable to interference.
Can't find if this was ever resolved though.

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 23:11   #13
Rahiel

Default Problem solved?

I have now had the car back for a week after Volvo Hersham investigated the engine cutout problem.

They kept the car for a couple of days and are 'pretty certain' that the fault was a loose connection in the fuse box area. They presented a bill of £311 which I refused to pay - they had the car in August to sort this out so despite their protestations I said that I had already paid for them to look into this. Full marks to Volvo Hersham for eventually handing my keys back with good grace without taking any payment from me.

I still remain nervous about driving the car and have yet to take it on a really long run or on the motorway. But it should be said that the day after I picked it up from Hersham, the the dreaded orange triangle reappeared on my dash display - this time the computer reckons that the anti-skid system needs a service. It then says it's turning the anti-skid system off temporarily and now the warning comes and goes. I am getting fed up of constantly taking the car back to Volvo only to be told that the computer is 'crying wolf' and with yet more "ghost codes". Ho hum.

PS to Ianu - I don't have a mobile phone fitted to the car but I do have a Denison Gateway fitted as an after-market accessory. This is a device in the glovebox which is linked into the radio head unit via a fibre optic cable. It enables me to connect and control my iPod through the in-car entertainment system.
Volvo's engineers didn't spot this, and when showing me all the computer readouts, they said: "By the way, you do know that your CD player isn't working, don't you?".
The Denison has a manual override switch to turn the CD player on or off depending on whether you want to listen to a CD or MP3 (I leave it on the MP3 settingt). Instead of relying on the car computer all the time, I do wish an engineer would actually give my car a thorough physical inspection.
Rahiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 10:21   #14
dave morton

my 90 has cut out twice at the first start up of the day but then restarts straight away and no more probs, wasn't initially worried but after reading your posts I am now.
Off topic a little, I read about the flip up lid between the seats losing it's flipability and the very same day the flipability gremlin got to my car, are they fixable?
cheers
dave morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:44   #15
Keyser Soze
Numpty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahiel View Post
I have now had the car back for a week after Volvo Hersham investigated the engine cutout problem.

PS to Ianu - I don't have a mobile phone fitted to the car but I do have a Denison Gateway fitted as an after-market accessory. This is a device in the glovebox which is linked into the radio head unit via a fibre optic cable. It enables me to connect and control my iPod through the in-car entertainment system.
Volvo's engineers didn't spot this, and when showing me all the computer readouts, they said: "By the way, you do know that your CD player isn't working, don't you?".
The Denison has a manual override switch to turn the CD player on or off depending on whether you want to listen to a CD or MP3 (I leave it on the MP3 settingt). Instead of relying on the car computer all the time, I do wish an engineer would actually give my car a thorough physical inspection.
Hiya,
I've fitted a Dension Gateway 500 to my 2004 T6 earlier this year with no electrical gremlin issues whatsoever, so from what you've described so far, I'd be inclined to discount that from your woes. The only thing that the Dension will trigger is a CD changer fault if the changeover switch is not switched over to "service mode" prior to a code read, but don't worry the CD changer will still work!!!

The P2 electrics (S60, V70, S80, XC70, XC90) can be a tiresome pain & temperamental at times as with all the modules connected on the CANBUS link any slight earth loop interference or feedback could give rise to a module throwing a hissy fit and then subsequently not registering any faults!!! My old P2 V70's used to throw all sorts of spurious messages and no fault codes stored when read. The common message was the ANTI SKID message on the DIM.

I had the T6 owner's dreaded message the other week "Transmission Service Urgent" and on a code read there was a trans fault code stored, yet on reading and clearing the codes have not shown up again on two further subsequent reads.

But as has been said earlier, I would be personally inclined to pop the cover under the wipers and look for water ingress. Also any leaf debris in under there can act as a moisture trap. Any moisture in that area can potentially cause havoc with the CEM/UEM and could be a potential root cause for your woes. Have a looksee and monitor the car. Have the codes read again in a few weeks, if there's anybody on the forum local to you with a DiCE/VCT2000 and VIDA or VADIS maybe they could possibly help with a read for a few beer tokens otherwise it'll be the stealer.

And like that.... he was gone!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keyser Soze For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 17:05   #16
Big Ted

This morning, my XC-90's been struck with this issues once again.

Last night I cleared some leaves out of the wind screen cowl & this morning whilst driving up a very wet & windy M4, the car cut out several times, with the usual SRS message appearing.

After some more searching, I'm seeing a common thread of water ingress causing havoc with the CEM. One thing I can't find anywhere is where the CEM is located & how it's removed?

I'd like to have a look at mine & have a bash at cleaning up the PCB, along with a spray of WD40!

Any one know where it is?
Big Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 00:23   #17
laundryman
The Engineer

Just my 6d worth..
The previous owner of my 08 had similar problems that finally went down to two corroded wire faults. One behind the heater and the other was in a cable connected to the fuse box. both seemed to relate to the harness that goes through the plastic trim under the windscreen on the nearside. In fact the cables are still unwrapped there!
will set forth with the silicone grease & self-amalgamating tape when the weather improves.
Hope this helps
Larry
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 21:43   #18
belljul*

Default Bloody XC90

I had 56 XC90 which was never out of the garage - got so PiXXed off traded it in for...another XC90 (06 plate) hoping that we just had a friday car. All was fine for the first few months until this happened below.

The engineer at the garage has had the car for almost 2 weeks, has an auto electrician on it and still can't fault it. Spoken to several Volvo garages and they can't help. Asked him to write up what he's done so far so I can post it to this website and hope someone will be able to give me/him some much needed guidance. I'll copy and paste the posts so far to him to give him a head start but if the text below gives anyone more info to help me/him then much appreciated!

Specifically.....We would like information on which units the CAN communication line links and also the position of the units on the communication line.
If anyone has diagrams they can send me/email (julian @ julianbell.com) would be fab!

If this doesn't work I'm going to get a Touareg (shame no 7 seats), or Audi allroad. I've just about had enough of Volvo....

Mr Bell
Here is the report of the work done so far to the vehicle.
Carry out diagnostic check, no connection with engine e.c.u. or abs at this time.
Check condition of all fuses in separate fuse boxes to eliminate.
Carry out firther diagnostic check and retreive fault codes as per list.
Dis-assemble areas of vehicle under dash facia board, at engine compartment to gain access to wiring to check general condition and carry out tests to CAN line wiring between diagnostic socket, engine ecu and abs control unit.
Fault found as intermittent communication between ecu, abs and instrument cluster.
Suspect fault in engine ecu only when power on

Engine ecu.

Codes as follows,
7700 Engine control module
940f Brake pedal sensor
928cCruise control faulty signal.
1100 Outisde temp sensor
000Control module communication signal missing.
02f Vehicle speed signal, faulty signal.
5730 Communication, transmission control module signal missing.
7600 Immibiliser.
4480 EGR position sensor faulty signal.
5720 Communication (TCM) faulty signal.

ABS ecu.

Codes as follows.
148 Communication bewteen control modules faulty comfiguration.
115 Communication betwee control modules steering angle sensor missing
000 Control module communication faulty.
094 Communication with active on demand coupling.
100 Communication with ecm.
003 Faulty configuration

When driving the brake failure came up on dash, pulled over and switched off engine. When trying to re-start the starter motor did not function.
When attempting to start the if the brake failure is displayed on the dash, the temperature gauge does not function, neither does the rev. counter.
At this point when these two functions are occuring there is no communication from the diagnostic equipment to either the abs or engine control.
We have also noticed a chattering from the autobox select lever when the faults are occuring.
We would like information on which units the CAN communication line links and also the position of the units on the communication line.
belljul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 17:19   #19
andy hough

Default help me to

hi
new to this but i have the same **** going on!! NOT A HAPPY MAN!!! Volvo xc90 my 04

I live in perth oz so the temp dose get high 42oc car stops you can,t drive it

diagnostic check ; rest lasted a week back to squar one but $200 less in my pocket . now back in : new wipers, a injector clean and fix the problem ????
COST $3000 thats in oz money ha is it fix i let u know ??

love the car
ps i drive a 1963 xl ford in the heat all good volvo need to have a good look
andy hough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy hough For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 18:36   #20
cnembhard

Unhappy Engine and electrics cut out.

Hi,

The same thing happened to me twice today. I had to call the AA out as, on the second occassion, it was completely dead. After leaving it a while (20 mins) it started and I was able to park it in a sensible place until the AA arrived.

The AA mechanic could find no fault whatsoever.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, please..........
cnembhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnembhard For This Useful Post: