Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tow bar bolt guide

Views : 1075

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2017, 18:12   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay81 View Post
The tow bar picture you have posted is the USA version.
No , the picture i posted is what i have been fitting to UK XC90's for the last 14 years or so ... anyway Jay has a non volvo one so it won't be the same ... His picture may be a USA one perhaps ...
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 09:26   #12
Adrian2

I bought a used XC90 towbar which turned out not to include the chassis member spacers. Unless the dismantler knows these exist and are part of the towbar they leave them in the chassis and they get scrapped along with the vehicle.

They proved impossible to replace separately so I returned the towbar.
Adrian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 13:54   #13
laundryman
The Engineer

I have fitted towbars to an 08 and a 63 XC90 and both of them fitted with THREE bolts on each side horizontally through the ribs under the rear of the car. The original pictures from Adrian2 shows the bolts AND the spacers ready to go in the rib to stop it being crushed by the bolts.BUT it appears the nuts are fixed to the inner plate, which is the other way round to the ones I have fitted where the bolts and spacers are fixed to the outboard plate. so you would have fun with access to tighten it up! So I would say this aint for the XC90. The picture Clan shows is maybe a different type of towbar with a different fixing to the car, but is not one that I have seen before but I can see other mounting holes with grommets in on the bottom of the rib on my car.
The bars I have fitted are a three piece unit not a one piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towbar.jpg (162.4 KB, 9 views)
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 17:49   #14
Jay81

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
I have fitted towbars to an 08 and a 63 XC90 and both of them fitted with THREE bolts on each side horizontally through the ribs under the rear of the car. The original pictures from Adrian2 shows the bolts AND the spacers ready to go in the rib to stop it being crushed by the bolts.BUT it appears the nuts are fixed to the inner plate, which is the other way round to the ones I have fitted where the bolts and spacers are fixed to the outboard plate. so you would have fun with access to tighten it up! So I would say this aint for the XC90. The picture Clan shows is maybe a different type of towbar with a different fixing to the car, but is not one that I have seen before but I can see other mounting holes with grommets in on the bottom of the rib on my car.
The bars I have fitted are a three piece unit not a one piece.
That is the same way mine fits, rang westfalia today and they can't supply them.. Might just get some spacers made up to stop it crushing the chassis?
Jay81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 18:25   #15
kenny
Master Member

Here is a link to some fitting instructions. You can see the spacers you need, the instructions give you the size 22 x 55mm. These are just some steel tube. You could pop in to a local blacksmith and get him to cut you some.
https://tow-trust.s3.amazonaws.com/i...ons/TVV522.pdf
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 19:08   #16
Jay81

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Here is a link to some fitting instructions. You can see the spacers you need, the instructions give you the size 22 x 55mm. These are just some steel tube. You could pop in to a local blacksmith and get him to cut you some.
https://tow-trust.s3.amazonaws.com/i...ons/TVV522.pdf
Thank you
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 20:32   #17
Jay81

Been in touch with another manufacturer today and they are supplying me with the bits i need, thanks for all your help
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 18:16   #18
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Been in touch with another manufacturer today and they are supplying me with the bits i need, thanks for all your help
Oh now that's interesting, who is the manufacturer and how much are the charging? there has been many a thread on here with people looking for bolt kits and none of the manufacturers willing to supply them but only wanting to sell a complete new bar.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 18:24   #19
Jay81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Oh now that's interesting, who is the manufacturer and how much are the charging? there has been many a thread on here with people looking for bolt kits and none of the manufacturers willing to supply them but only wanting to sell a complete new bar.
Tow trust, cost 46 delivered. They wasn't keen at first but must say their customer service is fantastic. Ordered yesterday and just been informed they will arrive tomorrow
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 19:20   #20
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Tow trust, cost 46 delivered. They wasn't keen at first but must say their customer service is fantastic. Ordered yesterday and just been informed they will arrive tomorrow
Yeah Tow Trust are very good. The owner Tom is fantastic but hard to get hold of.
There was a big problem with the Jeep Cherokee. There was a recall due to the fuel tank being to close to the rear bumper. The fix that Jeep came up with was to put a reinforced bar on. This required the removal of any tow bar fitted even the genuine one. This modification was registered with DVLA and prevented thousands of owners being able to tow anything, most were bought for their towing ability. Tom worked with a group of owners and designed a new bar spending several thousands getting it type approved and onto the market.