Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where have they all gone?!

Views : 4453

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 09:17   #31
garethXC

This chap seems to have some stock of 740,940,850 early cars...some with good MOT history & some with some ? that would need sorting - especially for the money being asked IMHO. ( NB - nothing to do with me, just found in my Sunday browsing of the site he lists on)
see: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/user/ccts3492/
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garethXC For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 09:25   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethXC View Post
This chap seems to have some stock of 740,940,850 early cars...some with good MOT history & some with some ? that would need sorting - especially for the money being asked IMHO. ( NB - nothing to do with me, just found in my Sunday browsing of the site he lists on)
Something doesn't smell right about all of those cars - how come he has managed to find all of the low mileage cars?

Either he spends 90% of his working week seeking out low mileage examples and a small fortune transporting them back to his sales yard or he's very lucky they've all found their way to him.

Yes, a few low mileage cars in a lot full of varied mileage cars but all of them?

I know he can easily come down on price during negotiation but can't really go up, that said he has a lot of room to drop and still make money on all of those.

I'm being kinder than normal, i'd normally say he's either on drugs or needs to be!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 09:27   #33
baggy798
🤍💙💗

£1500 was an amazing price for an original 740 turbo estate in non-chavved condition.

Same seller has got a 940 CD LPT almost same as mine bar no egg crate and grey leather, a snip at £4995.

F303HGH

P325MOY
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 10:11   #34
Dippydog
Premier Member

Cheap cars disappear as prices for the good ones rises.People see good ones advertised at £5,000[for example] and think well if that's worth that kind of money my £200 banger must now be worth £XXXX so the cheap ones are no longer cheap.Nearly two years ago now I bought my '95 960 saloon with 122,000miles on it and a fair bit of history all four door cards wrinkly the plastic trim at the side of the drivers seat[where the adjustment switches are]broken and some laquer peel on the front bumper for £695.It's still got those issues and is now at about 125,000miles,what's it worth now? I haven't a clue and don't really care as until something I fancy more at a price I can afford comes up it's staying,but I can't see it being worth any less than I originally paid for it.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 10:28   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Cheap cars disappear as prices for the good ones rises.People see good ones advertised at £5,000[for example] and think well if that's worth that kind of money my £200 banger must now be worth £XXXX so the cheap ones are no longer cheap.Nearly two years ago now I bought my '95 960 saloon with 122,000miles on it and a fair bit of history all four door cards wrinkly the plastic trim at the side of the drivers seat[where the adjustment switches are]broken and some laquer peel on the front bumper for £695.It's still got those issues and is now at about 125,000miles,what's it worth now? I haven't a clue and don't really care as until something I fancy more at a price I can afford comes up it's staying,but I can't see it being worth any less than I originally paid for it.
Very true! Funny thing is the last two cars i've sold went for (healthy) multiples of what i bought them for. Again bought at the low end of their price curve and sold when they were on the up. Granted i did improve them both in general but the selling price more than covered that.
Both of those were ahead of the trend the 7/9xx is currently in so it all seems to follow a fairly common pattern. Go back 20 years and you could barely give a Jag XJ6 away, now they're going for £LOADS, ditto the Rover SD1, many Ford models from the 70s and 80s - all a case of waiting for the right time.

I've always fancied owning a Lexus LS400, a couple of years ago they were around for banger money. Now the survivors have all shot up in value, the 7/9xx is just following a pattern that seems to be fairly predictable now.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 12:56   #36
James_N
VOC Member

i wouldn't pay anymore than £1,000 for a good 7/940 so i guess that puts me out of the market, but they are around, just gotta find them i guess!

Some people might be asking £6,995 for a 740 but it will be for sale for eternity!
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 14:00   #37
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
As if you had to ask!
After I posted ''which one?'' I had looked on the net and was amazed to see the Aston Martin is not that reliable. We have a lot of them around here and with their awesome looks and prices I assumed they would be reliable! As my 24 year old 940 has had its first few breakdowns in the couple of years and been on the back of a recovery truck, I thought you were referring to my posts!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 14:52   #38
griston64
Premier Member

I don't care about how unreliable an Aston Martin is, as to me they are bloomin gorgeous

The DB9 must be one of the best looking supercars ever made !

If anyone on here has one kicking around that they don't want, I'll happily swap my 940 for it
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 17:42   #39
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I'm selling mine soon if you're interested...... not put it up for sale yet as no-one can come and visit!

1997 940 CD Turbo, HPT, full leather, all the options, lots spent on it - but my wife isn't working right now and we aren't using it.

Last 3 MOTs passed with no advisories cos I look after it!

Won't be huge money as it isn't perfect but I think it is very good. Thinking around £2k
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 18:42   #40
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethXC View Post
Yes he's been around for some time,all his cars are photographed at the same spot.
I sent him a message last Autumn saying "Your having a laugh with your prices on Volvo Estates" his reply was "Thankyou for your enquiry, the vehicle listed has now been sold"......................so...........the question is has anybody actually parted with Lager Tokens for these cars?
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote