Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driver's door seal leak

Views : 3054

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2021, 22:13   #21
stephend
Premier Member

So it seems to be a completely different (and inferior) arrangement to what's on Bob's car.

The black protector round the wheelarch flange isn't part of a larger fitting, and appears to be held on by magic. There's a rear bracket for the front bumper on the front side, and what I can only imagine is a sill arch protector on the back. For the rest, it relies on underseal.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 22:41   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Captain Tolleys might work on that seam to prevent water ingress..........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 22:51   #23
stephend
Premier Member

That's a good thought.

I was thinking in terms of trying to get the underseal off, and treating it with rust stabiliser, then paint and apply fresh underseal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 22:53   #24
stephend
Premier Member

I'm also thinking of starting a thread on the Project Volvo pages. There's the work I did to replace bent valves after the cambelt failed, and now hunt-the-leak!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 23:06   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
That's a good thought.

I was thinking in terms of trying to get the underseal off, and treating it with rust stabiliser, then paint and apply fresh underseal.
Do a mixture, remove the loose rust, treat with Kurust or similar, feed it with Captain Tolleys than paint and underseal it.

As for hunting for leeks, should be able to find plenty!

Leaks on the other hand are clever little gits, hide themselves while you're hunting for them!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 23:42   #26
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As for hunting for leeks, should be able to find plenty!
At the moment, they're out shamelessly frolicking in the fields, knowing they're safe from the locked-down humans. Not that I've been out in the fields myself, mind, 'cos of lock-down. But if I had, that's what I'd have seen, frolicking leeks in all directions, no question.

Quote:
Leaks on the other hand are clever little gits, hide themselves while you're hunting for them!
Oh yes indeed!!! And just to rub it in, sitting in the garage next to my leaky Volvo is my even more leaky Discovery - sigh...

ps. "hunt the leek" does sound like an "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" game, doesn't it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 00:07   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
At the moment, they're out shamelessly frolicking in the fields, knowing they're safe from the locked-down humans. Not that I've been out in the fields myself, mind, 'cos of lock-down. But if I had, that's what I'd have seen, frolicking leeks in all directions, no question.

Oh yes indeed!!! And just to rub it in, sitting in the garage next to my leaky Volvo is my even more leaky Discovery - sigh...

ps. "hunt the leek" does sound like an "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" game, doesn't it?
Leaky Disco eh? Start at the top and work down! Does it have a sunroof?

Sadly leaks are a real pain in the neck and are only found by perseverence and then they can come back in different places when least expected. Just after i finally got the boot dry in my Sterling, a seam gave way to a small bit of tinworm and gradually eroded the sills at the back end and the trailing arm mount on the drivers side. Happily done now but can't get the car back thanks to lockdown.

Old Jan 5th, 2021, 08:43   #28
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Leaky Disco eh? Start at the top and work down! Does it have a sunroof?
It's got two sunroofs and roofbars (it's an ES)... Water comes in at the top of the driver's side A-pillar, sometimes above the rear-view mirror, and occasionally somewhere under the fascia. Plan is to get the headlining out, sort out all the sunroof seals, attachment points for the drain tubes, roofbar seals, A-pillar seam seals, w/screen bonding (Capt. Tolley's again!), and scuttle (wiper motor plate is very crusty). And then see how many leaks it still has!

I didn't originally plan to be working on two project cars simultaneously. In winter. How did that happen...??
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 10:39   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's got two sunroofs and roofbars (it's an ES)... Water comes in at the top of the driver's side A-pillar, sometimes above the rear-view mirror, and occasionally somewhere under the fascia. Plan is to get the headlining out, sort out all the sunroof seals, attachment points for the drain tubes, roofbar seals, A-pillar seam seals, w/screen bonding (Capt. Tolley's again!), and scuttle (wiper motor plate is very crusty). And then see how many leaks it still has!

I didn't originally plan to be working on two project cars simultaneously. In winter. How did that happen...??
I'd leave the headlining where it is for now. The problem is most likely blocked and/or overflowing drain tubes which are situated much lower down. When i say lower down, i mean they exit usually into the wheelarches on cars but may exit through the B pillar and a drain hole in the sill/base of B pillar to the outside world and into the wheelarches at the fron for the front sunroof, rear wheelarch for the rear.
What usually happens is the drains get blocked where they exit to the outside world. This causes two problems, first at the join between the down pipe drain from the sunroof and the actual drain valve in the bodywork to let the water into the outside world. The hose used for the downpipe tends to shrink, both in diameter and length, pulling out from the drain valve. This means reduced flow to the valve so sediment builds up and eventually blocks them and secondly, water comes out of the join, soaking the carpets/floor area.

Second part of the problem is that water backs up all the way up the downpipe and fills up the sunroof tray then slops out, drips through the interior light, edges of the headliner and so on.

Hopefully you're ahead of me now and can see the main thing to start with is the sunroof drains. I've searched Rimmers for diagrams of the drain system but no joy. However i did find a couple of links to a LR forum that although they are for the Disco 3, much of it will be similar and/or give you pointers in the right direction :

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2...nroof+%2Bdrain

When i double checked, they were both part of the same thread, the other one started at post #60 so i've linked to the entire thread instead.

Hopefully that should help you get at least one dry car out of it all!

PS - sunroof drains are the bane of any Rover 800 owners life, i've developed and fitted a modification to mine that works very well so thankfully my days of crawling about in footwells playing with drain valves are gone! Also a point to note, just because the front carpets are soaked it doesn't follow it's the front drains leaking and vice versa!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 13:05   #30
stephend
Premier Member

Dave, that's a good point and I'll check.

On the Disco 2, the front sunroof drains run down the A-pillars, and (apparently) drain into the chassis (!) which has a drain hole specially for the purpose. The rear sunroof drains into the D-pillar cavity behind the upper rear light cluster, which is open at the base. Apparently the fittings that join the sunroof pan to the drain tubes are notorious for cracking: Steve Parker sell replacements.

On mine, the seal between the glass and the pan is visibly knackered on both sunroofs. Indeed, it unseated itself when I opened the sunroof, pulling away with the glass, front and rear. However, after re-seating it, I taped up the gaps to keep the water out, and I still get leaks. I also taped over the seal between the frame and the roof; water still getting in. So there's obviously more to it than just the sunroofs/drains.

The paint's bubbling just above the A-pillar on both sides, and on the driver's side, the plastic guttering on the corner over the A-pillar exterior trim is missing.

Q: What's the difference between taking a cold shower, and going for a drive in my Disco in the rain?
A: Nothing...
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post: