Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Freebie Amazon project

Views : 20036

Replies : 164

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2011, 20:35   #41
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
It's looking good. I do wish Father Christmas had bought you a camera that actually focuses though;-)
Ah, I suspect that that would have more to do with the bottle of single malt that he chose to leave me rather than the camera...
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 18:36   #42
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Cutting out more rust...

Well, I decided to go with cutting out HALF the curved section of chassis and leaving part in place to help as a reference for joining the new piece in. This has given me easy access to make the join. Still not decided on gas or MIG yet, but veering towards MIG with a copper backing strip and self tapping screws to hold it in place.

The chalk area is for removal...

002.jpg

Cut out with a body saw and cut off wheel...

003.jpg

To planish it all flat again, I've clamped a large piece of 10mm plate in place to act as a dolly as hand access for a toe dolly is not good...

004.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to make a pattern for a repair panel...

007.jpg

The inside all cleaned up with the sound deadening pads trimmed back a good few inches from where the heat will be...

006.jpg

Last edited by Gordon Hunter; Jan 1st, 2012 at 18:49. Reason: typo
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 22:39   #43
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Repair panel

Well, that's it for today.

A good old Asda's Cornflakes packet is just the right thickness of card for making a template of this kind.
The magnets are of the extra strong neodymium variety and can even hold up a small metal panel if required. Great for holding the patern material in place too...

008.jpg

009.jpg

Just a half our more faffing and fettling and the panel should be good to weld in. I've used a shrinker to put that radius in on the flange...

010.jpg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 21:04   #44
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Well, that's the repair work finished on this part of the car at least.
I'm going to spend the whole day on it tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get the bonnet slam panel in and the front wings set up.
As it turns out, it's not me (or the 12 year old malt) but the camera is starting to pack in. I can't get a decent photo so until I get the camera situation sorted, this will have to do...

003.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 18:57   #45
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

I'm going to wait until I've got some help lifting those heavy front panels on and off before I start to weld stuff in.
Today I've managed to get a lot of the spare wheel well sorted out.
I chose to cut off the rotting tapered section of the chassis to repair it off the car and give me better access to repairing the floor section. Thankfully the sides are fine and it's just been a matter of bending a bit of flat sheet to fit.
When I get some help next week, I'll be able to planish this a bit straighter as my arm isn't long enough to reach round through the fuel tank aperture and get a dolly in behind.
Sorry, blurred photos again...

003.jpg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 20:40   #46
john h
VOC Member

Nice work

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 20:53   #47
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Ok, I admit it. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!
After fiddling with some of the settings on the camera, I've managed to get some sharper pictures (many thanks to Derek for his kind help). My camera is about the size of a brick and needs fresh coal every week or two...

Anyhow, I've taken some sharper shots so that you can hopefully see the progress on the N/S (passenger side) rear. I don't remember the drivers side being so bad, so I'm looking forward to finishing the metal work on the underside.
I'm then going to grit blast all the surface rust off and treat it all with some goodies I've bought from 'Rustbuster' - chiefly some high quality epoxy mastic primer.

Some good news for the interior. I managed to swap some rims and other bits for an almost complete interior - seats and trim cards.
The original interior had faded to a washy shade of pink, so I was really glad to get hold of the other kind of red that has the black veins running through it and a deeper more ox-blood shade of red (many thanks Rob).
The set I got seems to be in pretty decent condition, though in need of a good clean but I'm still missing a drivers side door card. The other thing I'd really like to do is to fit some head restraints. If anyone can help, give me a shout and I'll be happy to part with the neccessary cash.

Anyway, here are the pics...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

0032.jpg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 21:30   #48
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Well done...........

What is the make and model of your brick?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 21:59   #49
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Derek,

It's a Toshiba PDR-M81

Many thanks again,

Gordon
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 00:08   #50
Tail
Master Member

What a joy it must be doing the welding with the car on its side, very envious as all mine was done on my back under the car on the drive with things jammed under the car to stop the wind blowing the gas away, very envious
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote