Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav location

Views : 3629

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2016, 09:10   #1
cmr2payne

Default Sat Nav location

Morning all

My Sat Nav seems to have lost its location over the weekend. It still moves around but show me as between 30 and 50 miles away from my actually location.

I am going to call Volvo today but wondered if anyone knew of a reset procedure for it
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 09:30   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr2payne View Post
My Sat Nav seems to have lost its location over the weekend. It still moves around but show me as between 30 and 50 miles away from my actually location.

I am going to call Volvo today but wondered if anyone knew of a reset procedure for it
Wait, or reset it yourself
I've experience occasional large GPS errors that corrected themselves over time (over a couple of days)

Caused primarily by disturbance in the ionisphere that impacted the GPS signals

So run through the manual reset (in your handbook, used when eg correcting posiiton after a ferry trip) or park the car, turn it on, and wait 30min on a clear day (not a rainy or misty day)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 13:13   #3
cmr2payne

Spoke to Volvo and they said they thing its the GPS antenna that its faulty, three is no reset. I looked in my manual and cannot see a reset ?
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 13:45   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr2payne View Post
Spoke to Volvo and they said they thing its the GPS antenna that its faulty, three is no reset. I looked in my manual and cannot see a reset ?
OK. On my 2009 xc90 you can reset the position. But that appears to have been removed in future nav systems

eg: a 2013 sensus nav manual just states the following:

The position of the car on the map is wrong
The Navigation system shows the position of the car to an accuracy of about 20 metres.
There is a greater chance of error when driving on roads lying parallel to another road, on winding roads, on roads on several levels and after driving a long distance without making any distinctive turns.
High mountains, buildings, tunnels, viaducts, over/underpasses etc. also have a negative affect on the reception of GPS signals, which means that accuracy in calculating the position of the car may decrease.

The position of the car on the map is incorrect after transportation
If the car is transported, for example by ferry or train, or in such a way as to impede the reception of GPS signals, it can take up to 5 minutes before the position of the car is correctly calculated.

The position of the car on the map is incorrect after the car battery has been
disconnected

If power has been cut from the GPS antenna, it can take more than 5 minutes for the GPS signals to be received correctly and the position of the car to be calculated.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 09:48   #5
cmr2payne

was aerial in the end they replaced under warranty
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 21:03   #6
Billggski

Thanks for the update, I find few folk do, they just leave you guessing if it was resolved.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 16:42   #7
volvo for ever
Premier Member

antenna is in the roof shark fin very common fault
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 18:09   #8
cpollard773

Question bluebird

My 2014 V60 D4 seems to think its in Brussels Its done it before and corrected itself witin a couple of days but wont budge after a week.Is it the antenna?
cpollard773 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cpollard773 For This Useful Post: