Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hardwiring a Dashcam

Views : 2985

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 19:08   #11
AndrewTi

Well, that was fun!

Not!!!

Used a Nextbase kit in the end, as the wife bought them along with the camera, so seemed rude not to!

First error was assuming the fuse box was in the passenger footwell, as per the diagram in the handbook, rather than the text description of the drivers footwell.

Stripped off the passenger a pillar trim, routed the cables beautifully, all nicely hidden, then realise that I should have trusted the book after all. Remove all wiring, replace the pillar trim again....

Start again on the proper side. Fiddle the wire around the mirror / rain sensor housing, run the wire, remove drivers pillar trim.

Route the cable nicely - ought to look good, as it's the second time I've done it, route wires into drivers footwell.

Snap trim clip.

Decide eventually after much swearing to buy another one later.

Look for an earth. Wonder if behind the bonnet handle is a good idea. Unbolt it and have a look. It isn't. Panic that the bonnet will never open again.

Find Earth on the transmission tunnel, having removed more trim.

Decide to use the horn fuse for the switched live.

Camera is on constantly.

Scratch head.

Decide to try the horn with the ignition off. I jump, next doors dog goes berserk. Turns out it was a constant live and I should have checked.....

Eventually decide the heated seat fuse would be an idea, so go for it.

Camera now works as it should.

Feel a bit relieved and happy that one clip aside, I've not lost my temper and destroyed anything and there are no sparks or burning smells.

Put car back together, no screws left over, things are looking up!

Slam door, camera falls off windscreen.....

Go inside, pour a large Rum and Coke.
AndrewTi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AndrewTi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 09:26   #12
Borgi

You are my hero of the month.
Well done.
Pictures of finished job would be nice.
Borgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 23:09   #13
Dedders

Having never done anything like this before, how easy is it to get the pieces of trim off and what’s the best way of doing it?

Thanks Adam
Dedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 08:49   #14
bokabil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedders View Post
Having never done anything like this before, how easy is it to get the pieces of trim off and what’s the best way of doing it?

Thanks Adam
In my experience, the A-pillar trim comes off easy, but putting it back on was a bit more difficult as you need to make sure the rubber is not stuck in.

Another difficulty for me was the humungous rain sensor! Putting the cam on it messes the viewing angle and below it just too low, I wanted a discrete solution. Only options left were to the sides of it, as high up the windscreen as possible. On the driver's side, I was worried it interferes with the sunvisor, so passenger side it is. There is a small gap under the sensor at the top of the windscreen, I barely managed to squeeze through the mini usb cable for the cam.

I used Fuse 11 on driver's footwell. Power is off when the ignition is off, so perfect for dashcam use. Plus, this fuse powers the 12V sockets, I wanted to select the most "non-safety" relevant fuse just in case I screw up.

For earth or ground, there is another fuse box at the end of the dashboard (driver's side on my LHD car). Open the box and you will see a nice bolt grounded to the chassis, I used this.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 13:51   #15
Dedders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokabil View Post
In my experience, the A-pillar trim comes off easy, but putting it back on was a bit more difficult as you need to make sure the rubber is not stuck in.

Another difficulty for me was the humungous rain sensor! Putting the cam on it messes the viewing angle and below it just too low, I wanted a discrete solution. Only options left were to the sides of it, as high up the windscreen as possible. On the driver's side, I was worried it interferes with the sunvisor, so passenger side it is. There is a small gap under the sensor at the top of the windscreen, I barely managed to squeeze through the mini usb cable for the cam.

I used Fuse 11 on driver's footwell. Power is off when the ignition is off, so perfect for dashcam use. Plus, this fuse powers the 12V sockets, I wanted to select the most "non-safety" relevant fuse just in case I screw up.

For earth or ground, there is another fuse box at the end of the dashboard (driver's side on my LHD car). Open the box and you will see a nice bolt grounded to the chassis, I used this.
That’s great thank you I’ll give it a go.
Dedders is offline   Reply With Quote