Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best All-Season SUV tyre

Views : 40490

Replies : 174

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Best All season suv tyre
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season 50 24.63%
michelin cross climate 78 38.42%
Goodyear vector 4 season 12 5.91%
nokian weatherproof 37 18.23%
other 26 12.81%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 13th, 2017, 00:55   #61
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Can anyone comment on the wear rate of the Weatherbotherers as compared to the Pirellis in year-round running?
Never heard of Weatherbotherers, but the Nokian Weatherproofs will run >30k on the front (FWD) so really good in my opinion.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 08:00   #62
Crockers
Premier Member

Very pleased with my CrossClimates.

Bear in mind tyres lose their "snow gripping" efficiency around 4mm
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 08:13   #63
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Never heard of Weatherbotherers, but the Nokian Weatherproofs will run >30k on the front (FWD) so really good in my opinion.
Thanks for the info., may well try them in place of the Pirellis. Nokian full winters wore just a little too quickly for my liking using them all year, hence a return to Pirellis.

I shall turn my face to its "po" setting when posting in future
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 20:54   #64
Squirrell

Vector 4 seaons were great all rounders on my xc90, lasted about 28k as well
Squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 20:08   #65
scotchglen

any thoughts on falken euro all season AS200 seem cheaper than most brands and decentish reviews
scotchglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 23:40   #66
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchglen View Post
any thoughts on falken euro all season AS200 seem cheaper than most brands and decentish reviews
They are not much cheaper than the Nokian Weatherproofs. Rolling resistance, wet grip and noise are not as good.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Jan 15th, 2018 at 23:43.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 12:41   #67
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
Another vote fro cross climates. I replaced my standard scorpion verdes after 4000 miles due to lack of grip when pulling away, the cross climates cured this and are much quieter, plus good fuel economy. They are quite good on wet muddy grass too.
Just reading up about tyres. One of my frustrations with teh XC60 has been teh loss of grip while accelerating from standstill. Good to know that if I change the original Scorpion Verdes, which after 22000 miles have now begun to deteriorate, I should overcome that annoyance. Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 19:44   #68
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
Just reading up about tyres. One of my frustrations with teh XC60 has been teh loss of grip while accelerating from standstill. Good to know that if I change the original Scorpion Verdes, which after 22000 miles have now begun to deteriorate, I should overcome that annoyance. Thanks.
I have nokian winter tyres on at presen, normally run conti as standard on 18 Nokians on 17”

Booted it from Severn bridge toll the other day and on dry tarmac, good amount of wheel spin, temp was about 4 degrees.

So it’s possible to spin the wheels on any tyres missus gets more spin than me and I haven’t quite mastered quick gear changes with this box yet.....
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 21:43   #69
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I have nokian winter tyres on at presen, normally run conti as standard on 18 Nokians on 17”

Booted it from Severn bridge toll the other day and on dry tarmac, good amount of wheel spin, temp was about 4 degrees.

So it’s possible to spin the wheels on any tyres missus gets more spin than me and I haven’t quite mastered quick gear changes with this box yet.....
I'm happy to say that the Michelin Cross climates have made a huge improvement to the grip. I've not suffered wheel spin in the 3 weeks I've had them, despite cold and wet, or freezing, weather. My automatic does its own quick changes.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 19:05   #70
norco

Although not on my XC60, l can vouch for the nokians after today. Have 2 on the front of a focus with GY4S on the rear. Drove straight up a fairly steep hill with 3 in of snow no problem at all and very sure footed. In fact, they are so good l later managed to stop, pull over to the hedgeside and wait for an out of control Audi TT to side swipe me. Too fast on summer tires as l mentioned to the young lad driving. Upside no injuries. Downside both cars may be written off and all the attendant hassle. Still, excellent tires. I have a couple in the garage for the XC off the last car but had persevered with the unimpressive summer Verdes so far.
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norco For This Useful Post: