Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1965 Volvo Amazon (121)

Views : 40131

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2010, 14:21   #21
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Good luck, my favourite part of the forum is reading about restos. Brookehouse is going to love you! ;-)

Are you putting her back as standard or planning some mods?
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 15:27   #22
Jackman

Its looking like they will love me, not working on it today though.

Not sure on the full plans yet, i do love the way they look standard but i may do a few mods while its getting restored as i may as well do it then. I know its going to get the wiring done for the 21'st century as its completly shot as well as having a nice sound system as i love my music. Will be kept period looking as best as possible.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 16:32   #23
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
I know its going to get the wiring done for the 21'st century as its completly shot as well as having a nice sound system as i love my music. Will be kept period looking as best as possible.
If you haven't seen them already, there have been quite a few threads recently about installing modern stereos sympathetically, which may be of interest Whatever you do, I would strongly recommend against cutting the dash to fit a modern unit in the factory position. However there is space to hang one in front of the gearstick, as long as it's mounted far enough forward under the dash.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Dec 15th, 2010 at 16:35.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 16:37   #24
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
If you haven't seen them already, there have been quite a few threads recently about installing modern stereos sympathetically, which may be of interest Whatever you do, I would strongly recommend against cutting the dash to fit a modern unit in the factory position. However there is space to hang one in front of the gearstick, as long as it's mounted far enough forward under the dash.
There is no chance in hell im cutting the dash*, its bloody lovely as it is, there is a classic radio already in the dash so im planning of trying to use that

I have seen the threads but not read them yet as im not at that stage yet lol, need to try and get the passenger door to open.

*Disclamer

I dont plan of cutting it at the moment and i really hope i dont have to for any reason other than to repair.

Last edited by Jackman; Dec 15th, 2010 at 16:44.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 17:28   #25
Jackman

Well today i didnt do much bodypoking i spent ages re-setting the timing to tdc and trying to get the car to run, no matter how much i tried no joy, its got spark and fuel but refuses to start up. Battery went flat trying so its on hold for now.

More poking revealed more bodges this was mainly fibreglass resin over very thin steel

This bar is now been found out to be for the ARB, the old captive nut came free so the old bolt was ground off and knocked into the box section, this bar was then inserted with a bolt welded so they could re-attach the ARB.

More places where there was fibreglass

Lovley, would have been in better condition if it wasnt restored
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 19:23   #26
davidw6092

Default Restoration

Looks very familiar!Having done pez,s earlier this year which was,nt quite as bad as yours,I know what you are up against.It is generally best to keep as much together as possible,otherwise it is very easy to lose reference points,particularly front inner wing/front panel /door shuts.Getting your local steel stockist to fold up some L shaped steel in 2mm thickness in 1 metre lengths.about 4" wide with a quarter inch return.I used it for all sorts of areas chassis legs door pillers etc.its a lot easier than trying to fold your own,unless you have a decent folder.Have fun Dave
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 21:29   #27
pez
VOC Member

yep...dave knows what hes talking about....i can vouch for it!!
good luck with the resto mate,keep the pics coming!!
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 22:36   #28
tom-madbiker
Master Member

mine was lots of fiberglass over very thin steel too but now the rust has been cut out and the new steel welded in now the filler is going on so its starting to look good getting ready for the respray hopefully soon in the new year
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 12:19   #29
tony lewis

fantastic project there mate good luck loads of work to do but it should be worth it in the end i want one of these too if you know anyone who has one motd rollin resto etc give us a call 01492544590 many thanks .tony
tony lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 14:22   #30
Jackman

Thanks for the advice, im taking pictures as i go along for referance but not having a solid car to begin with will make some intresting repairs and getting things right but i will get there.

Right, not done loads of work over the holiday period but o well, weathers improving now so back to work.

Worked out why the passenger door doesn't open The handle is missing the button to press the latch so i need to find a new handle or button.

Dragged the car out of the garage so here are some more pics.

Dash, in quite good condition but needs top re-covering.

Boot, surface rust in places plus covered with a horrible fiber type stuff.

Bit rusty and few holes

No idea what that white stuff is.

Found a new hole at the bottom of that door

Interior bodywork, floor is solid and that colour doesn't seem to be rust but the fiber thing again which has turned that colour, under that is original paint.

Few shots of the underneath, at least 5mm of underseal in places so its going to be fun to remove it all.

Will get better pictures when its up in the air.

Started the removal of the underseal from the front wings today, removed the passenger side underseal and it looks quite solid apart from the rust areas i had already found...

However when i jacked it up putting it on the axle stand to remove the wheel started to go straight through the crossmember.... on moving it further back it was ok but to my horror it was repaired by 1mm steel (if that) tacked into place.

Now having a re-think of what im going to progress with and my plans for the restoration.

Also does anyone have a exploded diagram of the panel names? Being new to the car im not sure what i need to ask for when i order things.