Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

white amazon progress

Views : 12380

Replies : 108

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 23:58   #1
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Default white amazon progress

hi all i just thought i would share some photos of progress so far she was fairly rotten at the front end so im rebuilding her ready to flip over and tidy up underneath to get to a stage where i can tackle the sills and then rear arches

the scrap value must be going up as all the repair panels i have been adding and more to follow lol just joking but it feels good to be getting shinny metal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200420131041.jpg (186.4 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 200420131043.jpg (178.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 270420131109.jpg (218.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 290420131110.jpg (181.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 290420131112.jpg (159.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 290420131114.jpg (199.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 290420131116.jpg (180.9 KB, 161 views)

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Apr 30th, 2013 at 00:02.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 00:10   #2
Derbyman

These are really great photos as I haven't had the front wings off mine so it's good to see what's below. I am interested to know what's the bit most prone to rot around the windscreen?

My 66 estate leaks on both side and I fear it's down to rot rather than a leaking windscreen and I want to know the specific area to look in so I can narrow down my problem without taking everything apart.
Derbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derbyman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 00:24   #3
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
These are really great photos as I haven't had the front wings off mine so it's good to see what's below. I am interested to know what's the bit most prone to rot around the windscreen?

My 66 estate leaks on both side and I fear it's down to rot rather than a leaking windscreen and I want to know the specific area to look in so I can narrow down my problem without taking everything apart.
hi there as a rule you can tell if a amazon has suffered from a leaky windscreen if you look up under the dash into the corners in each side , you will see a angled bit of the bulkhead ( firewall ) if its rotten on the underside of it then that shows it has had or has a bad issue with leaking. now that area will need repairing to do a job properly and also with the windscreen taken out you will see in the leaking corners generaly at each bottom corner in the ribs where the windscreen seal sits in will be rotten some have had it bad some not so bad if it has been caught in time

another two areas will also be effected if you see my first and last photos on #1 post then you will see it rots in the top of door pillars , on the return areas going into the engine bay it has a oblng stroke rectangle panel most have had rot as a result of water getting in but cannot escape so sits in that place which is the internal area of bulkhead ( firewall ) i mentioned when you look up under dash in the corners .

hope thats helped but just from a leaky screen all that mess becomes the end result if left to its own devices

i just edited quickly a image to show the return area going into engine bay which my image shows a small area which i need to repair in the bottom left hand corner size of a 10p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rot-example.jpg (190.3 KB, 70 views)

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Apr 30th, 2013 at 00:34.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 00:40   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

also most amazon SIDE COWL PANELS become badly rotted which will let water into the car and give you a wet floor it rots just where it mets the floor pans and carries on rotting until its repaired so carefully lift the carboard side panels out to expose that area and check just under the rubber mats and see how bad if thats the areas its letting in water but fingers crossed you have caught it in time and its minner rot

http://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/p...ID=52&scID=226

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 04:19   #5
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Wow... You have a project, and have some great work going on there, and it is nice to see another one get rescued before it was too far gone.. It really makes me appreciate living in the Southern U.S. more.. LOL

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 09:31   #6
222s
Amazoniste

Mmmm - crispy. Btw, saw these repair sections (which I hadn't seen previously) the other day & wondered if they were of interest, if not for this project, as those areas look ok:

http://www.cvp-webshop.dk/volvo-amaz...er-amazon.html

Looks like they would make the inner bulkhead repairs easier & neater, as a larger section of the outer could then be removed for access.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 21:45   #7
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Mmmm - crispy. Btw, saw these repair sections (which I hadn't seen previously) the other day & wondered if they were of interest, if not for this project, as those areas look ok:

http://www.cvp-webshop.dk/volvo-amaz...er-amazon.html

Looks like they would make the inner bulkhead repairs easier & neater, as a larger section of the outer could then be removed for access.
i did see a link someone posted the other day and i stumpled across those repair sections , not even simon at brookhouse sells them as far as i know
very good idea and handy panel that im going to order 3 or 4 sets when i get some cash to play with bargins keep coming up and i tend to spend my money before i have earned it atm lol

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:26   #8
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
i did see a link someone posted the other day and i stumpled across those repair sections , not even simon at brookhouse sells them as far as i know
Link in the seat belts for sale thread? That's how I found it. I'm going to ask Simon about these, as if he can get them, the price will probably be about the same (based on a comparison between his & CVI or VP prices), but I'd only need to pay UK postage

If you do get some, please report back on how accurate they are / quality of the pressing etc!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:37   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i will get some in next few weeks when i have some paypal funds in my account also soon as i have caught up with the posts on here ( just had my dinner burb lol ) i have todays photos when i was in workshop to post shes becoming shiny yipppeeeee

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:49   #10
markymar93

Default hi

Hi. Just tried to pm you, however it says your messages are full. I'll send you an email shortly. Many thanks
markymar93 is offline   Reply With Quote