Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Introducing Wlliam the '68 Amazon Estate

Views : 14694

Replies : 134

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2014, 04:05   #11
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Nice find mate! She looks very straight and solid.

Funny how you 'customised' it on the first day - I dropped mine off the jacks at one point when she was just a painted shell. Kinda puts it in perspective - not a princess car...?
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 20:28   #12
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I've been up to the barn to check the building and the old cars haven't been blown away and got the chance to get a closer look at what's happened below the leaking rear quarter window.

Does anyone have experience of this panel available from Brookhouse?

http://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/p...ID=52&scID=226

It appears to be different from the saloon ones and I need the bit that goes inside the boot. Can't quite see from the photo if this panel offers this. Shame it's so expensive!

A few photos attached of the holes. On old William, the hole deteriorated window frame has allowed water to come in and pool in the recess right at the bottom of the quarter panel. After all this time, it's rusted right through on the nearside. On the offside, it appears to have collected mud up in under there which has rusted the side of the panel, but that window frame's OK.

I love mechanics. I loath bodywork!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (73.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (55.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (63.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (89.7 KB, 52 views)
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Feb 15th, 2014 at 20:34.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 20:31   #13
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Sorry! Don't seem to be able to attach the link properly! I'm referring to the Amazon Estate lower corner panels
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 21:08   #14
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
I've been up to the barn to check the building and the old cars haven't been blown away and got the chance to get a closer look at what's happened below the leaking rear quarter window.

Does anyone have experience of this panel available from Brookhouse?

http://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/p...ID=52&scID=226

It appears to be different from the saloon ones and I need the bit that goes inside the boot. Can't quite see from the photo if this panel offers this. Shame it's so expensive!

A few photos attached of the holes. On old William, the hole deteriorated window frame has allowed water to come in and pool in the recess right at the bottom of the quarter panel. After all this time, it's rusted right through on the nearside. On the offside, it appears to have collected mud up in under there which has rusted the side of the panel, but that window frame's OK.

I love mechanics. I loath bodywork!
Hi Ya

yes the top of the rear repair valance panel is the bottom from inside and is complete with what your after and i also see you have had trouble with the rust worm on the bottom of rear side windows thats a easy enough repair so no major work just some clever cutting and new metal placed in the hole to re-weld and feather back in

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 22:34   #15
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Oh good! Thanks for the reassurance Robert. Can't wait to get the bodywork done then onto the fun things like the drone, drone, drone coming from the prop shaft
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 22:27   #16
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

So we finally got to work on cutting the manky bits out of old William ready for welding up.

First we took out the side window and it wasn't so bad. We made up the little repair panels to go in.

Down below we cut out the whole lower panel together with the remnants of the rusted area. There's a bit of welding to do right at the lowest part at the back of the wheelarch right in behind the mudflap. Next, i'm going to order up the panel

Over the other side, the lower panel isn't as bad and we're going to attempt to weld it rather than cut the whole lot out and spend nearly £100 on the replacement panel!

BTW, when I refer to "we" above, I mean to say it's all out man Tail as I stood around making a list of mechanical jobs that I'm looking forward to - I don't like bodywork:

Propshaft rubber bearing
Investigate the weeping NSR brake cylinder
Re-wire the poorly connected up overdrive and try to source a proper overdrive lever
Replace those squeeking and deteriorated upper wishbone bushes
Unfortunately, it looks like I need to shell out for 4 tyres and these Michelins look a bit too perished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911863_10152323990964439_1225971171_n.jpg (51.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg photo x.JPG (80.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg photo y.JPG (75.0 KB, 54 views)
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 09:49   #17
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

We managed another full day on the rear corner on Saturday

Our man Tail has done a super job of fixing in place the bottom panel which is a much more difficult job than the fluted panel on the saloon. So that's job done. The window frame is properly repaired and completely solid. Just needs a hole for the trim piece, some filler and painting. Another job done on the tick list.

Next, we ran into a problem area right at the bottom 1" or so of the arch which had deteriorated and separated from the inner arch. A lot of head scratching was done and there were serious discussions about getting the old car into a bodyshop for complete new arches, but after many hours of careful cutting out and making up of new sections, we finished with a good solid and shaped arch that just needs tidying up and finishing off.

Next, we have to progress to the other side which is no way near as bad as the window hasn't leaked. There's a small hole inside the arch behind the mudflap and the fluted panel is repairable.

When I refer to 'we' above, it's all Tail's work. I stood around like a prick and supplied tea!

A query: can anyone recommend where you can order spray can paints without someone going, "Volvo Light Yellow 97? That's not a proper paint code!"

For the small areas that need painting, we're going to spray can it. If it turns out terrible and when my purse is less empty, I'll get it painted proper

I just can't wait to get this old car out on the road now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (112.0 KB, 44 views)
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Apr 7th, 2014 at 09:51.
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:12   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

Is yours 97? Thought it might be 79. Most car paint suppliers can make up a can if they have the old books. Otherwise they can match colour to your car if you can find a part to take in. Some will take a reading from the car paint but that has to be under controlled light conditions and comes down to the guy holding the gun and then the paint mixer doing the match.
Try Halfords, many have a mixer, but again down to the person doing the mix. It's a fussy job weighing out the colours for the brew. Had a girl in my local one do Sienna Brown for my Saab and Grafitgra 80 for the 4 door. Both were a good match. Don't expect perfection for spot repairs. Compound the whole panel to get it back as close s you can to original before prepping the area. Primer colour is important, generally light primer for light colours.
Good luck.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 13:00   #19
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Is yours 97? Thought it might be 79.
Aha! That's likely to be where I've gone wrong!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 20:49   #20
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Paint codes on the info plate on the pedal box under the bonnet, but you already know that.
Dyslexia rules KO? (or dyslexia = sex daily?) Whatever....

I think this one is 97 Gul - http://s261.photobucket.com/user/trconn/slideshow/Oblio

Last edited by Derek UK; Apr 7th, 2014 at 20:52.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote