Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 66 P1800 wont start

Views : 3793

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:38   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIVERALLY View Post
Right

No spark from the points when flicked

So changing

the points
Cap
King Lead
condensor ----

If this dont fix it then its a box of m,atches and a gallon of fuel !!

the wire from the coil -- tach--- dizzy -- is this just a plain bit of wire? or is it low tension cabling?
Do you get a small spark from the points wire if you disconnect it from the distributor and gently drag it across a good earth on the body , simulating what the points do ?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 13:32   #12
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Thumbs down

Hi

By the points wire do you meaan the wire coming from the coil to the side of the distributor the one that goes to the tach and then the coil? that sparks

I fitted a new set of points -set to 16tho -- no spark from them when I fick them
fitted nex cap and king lead -- nothing? at the end

I have 12v from ignition to the coil

I have voltage to the dizzy from the neg side of the coil this seems to fluctuate especially when the lead is connected to the spade connector and the voltage is measured from there

Really confused

Really getting frustrated with this thing ----any help before I take to it with a sledgehammer

Last edited by CLIVERALLY; Jun 1st, 2014 at 14:46.
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 15:28   #13
TMC

Before you:
A) take sledge hammer to it, or
B) gallon of fuel and matches
.....would you mind awfully if I just came round and took all the nice bits off your car?

It sounds to me like a coil issue and although most motor factors won't have the specific one, you could borrow / purchase a coil (similarish) and see if you're getting your spark.
Our P1800 through a similar hissy fit a few woks ago, we ended up replacing most of the ignition system, but pleased to say all is fine know.
Hope you get yours sorted soon and welcome to the forum.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 15:36   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi

By the points wire do you meaan the wire coming from the coil to the side of the distributor the one that goes to the tach and then the coil? that sparks

I fitted a new set of points -set to 16tho -- no spark from them when I fick them
fitted nex cap and king lead -- nothing? at the end

I have 12v from ignition to the coil

I have voltage to the dizzy from the neg side of the coil this seems to fluctuate especially when the lead is connected to the spade connector and the voltage is measured from there

Really confused

Really getting frustrated with this thing ----any help before I take to it with a sledgehammer
put a test light on the 12v side of teh coil .. earth the other wire which goes to the points , does the test light stay on? There may be a problem with teh feed side of it , when the coil is under load the 12v disappears ? It is very unusual for a coil to go open circuit , even if it doesnt spark properly .
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 19:59   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

Check that the bolt that connects the low tension wire to the side of he distributor isn't shorting to the distributor body. A simple check with a meter is all you need. The bolt mount has insulating washers in it and the spring for the points can touch the distributor body to. You won't get any sparks if these are touching.
See the last post on this thread.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=205061&page=3
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 21:10   #16
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Thanks everyone -- will have a go again after work tomorrow

Just one thing -- the coil is it just a standard 12v like a Lucas sport coil?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 21:18   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone -- will have a go again after work tomorrow

Just one thing -- the coil is it just a standard 12v like a Lucas sport coil?
it is probably not the original , didnt they have an armoured cable coil originaly ? To be a "standard " 12 v coil it should have a resistance across the two terminals of about 4 ohms , sports coils are less , modern electronic coils 1/2 ohm
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 06:35   #18
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

What gets me was that is working fine and then nothing-- will try the grounding out later after work --- it is getting on my "wires" so to speak -- my points are two piece -- the only issue was the array or possible condensers -- mine has a tag on it that allows a screw to fix it to the side f the dizzy -- one of the ones I have got (new) has no tag on it at all-- looking in the catalogues its this one that supposedly matches my points but there is no way of fixing it to the side of the coil unless it had a small bracket once upon a time.

I intend to get rid of the points etc and go eleccy in the fullness of time --- but thats after I can get it started !!
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:10   #19
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I would be very surprised if this is NOT a problem with the tiny little insulating washers between the points screw and distributor body.

It looks to me like the current is shorting through the distributor. Basic function of the distributor is this:
  1. Points closed: 12V runs across the points to earth.
  2. Points open: current momentarily stops running to earth and goes through the coil (like a big 'jolt') causing spark at spark plugs

If it's shorting through the distributor, the coil will never 'jolt' and there will be no spark at the points when you flick them.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:17   #20
arcturus
arcturus

Will the points still spark if the condenser is shot?