Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking noise from rear of Amazon

Views : 979

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2017, 22:36   #1
warninglight
VOC Member

Default Knocking noise from rear of Amazon

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone has had the same symptoms as I'm about to describe, and a fix...

I've just put my 1966 121 on the road, the first time it has seen the road in my ownership, and the first time in about 4 years.

When I'm driving along, when I accelerate, there's a 'clunk' from the back end, and when I lift off the accelerator, there's another 'clunk'

If I go on and off the throttle very gently, it doesn't do it, and the volume of the noise is directly related to how harshly I apply or take my foot off the accelerator.

It also makes a metallic knocking from the same area when going over rough road surfaces, but seems to not do this when accelerating.

Other than an oil change, the only thing I've done with the rear axle was to pop the drums off to check everything over.

Would love to hear suggestions from anyone who has had similar!

Stephen

Past: 1997 S70 TDi, 1997 C70 T5 GT, 2003 V70 Bi-Fuel, 2000 Ph2 V70 2.5D, 1997 V70R Auto FWD, 1998 V70R Manual AWD, 2004 XC90 D5 G/T, 2005 S60 D5
warninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 07:37   #2
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

My P1800 did the same ..after doing alsorts and checking the trailing arm bushes it turned out to be a crap uj on the prop. Had them all changed and noise gone :-)

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 07:39   #3
tom the teapot

Hi! Sounds like its the season for Amazon rear axle issues!

I also had a similar issue with my estate, I found on mine that on the stabiliser bar at the top of the axle the bolt hole for the bushes had worn slightly oval causing the axle to clonk as It either tilted forward or back. I found welding a beefy washer over the oval hole and tightening the bolt untill your face turns red helped!

The other clonk I found was the half shaft slightly moving in the drum, ie a worn out woodruff key, I cleaned up all the surfaces and re assembled doing the hub nut up tight.

I know the rear axle isnt the same but it may help.

Tom.
tom the teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom the teapot For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 10:28   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Stephen;

It sounds less like a drivetrain issue and more like a suspension issue to me because you noted that it "also makes a metallic knocking from the same area when going over rough road surfaces". I'd get the car on a lift and have a look at Trailing Arms, and particularly their bushings ... and maybe even firm tug by hand or lever with a big screwdriver or Tommy Bar (from the on-board Tool Kit)...it's unlikely that it's Panhard Rod, but it couldn't hurt to check its Bushings when you have the opportunity...also lift rubber trunk(boot)mat over Diff and check upper Damper mounts (not loose, and rod centered in hole through floor...loose hardware and Bushings which allows Rods to clunk against Body makes precisely the awful noises you describe!) ...I'd say something is either worn or loose or both...it's up to you to find it, but I wouldn't look inside Diff just yet...!

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 12:03   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Some of these clunks can be hard to find. The MOT man might not have noticed that the tops of the shocks weren't being held snugly by the rubber mounts for example. He might just have been lazy and missed some obvious play. Check the rear U/J. You really need to get it back up on a lift if you can. Makes the checking so much easier.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 20:00   #6
Need For Tweed

I had a similar experience on mine a year or so ago. After a lot of head scratching it turned out to be loose wheel nuts on the offside rear! I regularly change the wheels on mine (I run a set of tarmac and a set of gravel tyres) and clearly became complacent. Tightened them up properly and the problem was solved. Hope it's something this simple for you!
Need For Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 20:08   #7
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Speak as an MOT tester and in their defence they can only test what they can see and access without disassembly therefore if it were top shocker mounts loose unless they are visible from the underside and sway when grabbed then it would not raise concerns.

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post: