Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upper wishbone - check yours!

Views : 1115

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2017, 18:38   #1
Faust
Master Member

Default Upper wishbone - check yours!

Driving to work this morning, negotiated a roundabout and heard/felt a massive 'clunk' from the front left side of my car...

Had to use half lock on the steering to hold the car in a straight line - luckily I was only doing about 15 mph and didn't hit anything or anyone.

Pulled over and couldn't see an issue at first - I assumed a track rod had broken (new 3 months ago). Eventually noticed that one of the 2 bolts which hold the upper wishbone to the crossmember had snapped!

Got the AA to recover my car and I've managed to extract the broken part of the old bolt (gotta love mole grips). Brookhouse will be supplying 4 new bolts as I want to change them all.

When I rebuilt my suspension with polybushes a couple pf years ago, the ONLY bolts I din't replace with new ones were the upper wishbone ones.

So, the moral of the story is to check your upper bolts on this part ASAP.

Couldn't get a picture of the broken bolt in situ as the brake servo is in the way.

Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 19:44   #2
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi Faust,

a close shave for you, and thanks for the heads up, an interesting topic too, yes I've performed a similar task recently on a rebuild but with the subframe out of the car and noted that these bolts can have quite a strain on them especially if there are unequal amounts of shims between the contol arm and the turret which leaves the bolts with some lateral strain if viewed from above.
Also the Torque is 35/40 lbs which I wonder if is ever adhered to by previous owners.
Simon might be getting a few orders.............
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 22:19   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Faust;

Such a failure is quite uncommon and would not occur without "help" or at least some pre-existing conditions...

"check your upper bolts"...about the only thing which can be verified on these bolts by inspection is that they are Grade 8 bolts, that they are tight, and that the anti-rotation features are in place to prevent them from loosening on their own. The mid-shaft (torsional?) failure you experienced cannot be found by inspection(!), so I would be interested in the answers to several questions: Was the moment of failure concurrent with a shock suspension input (like a pothole or hitting a curb)? Is it an OE bolt (check markings on bolt head), or was it replaced (possibly with an inferior bolt) at last alignment , when shims may have been adjusted, and possibly over-torqued at that time? Was bolt tight...or was it loose and allowed to dance in place (check for galling on shaft-sides)? Did shims of one bolt get lost, increasing forces on other bolt to the point of failure. Post close-up of broken surfaces and inspect for galling...often, much can be learned from a close inspection of the failed part. These are the steps for correct failure analysis and understanding, and inquiring minds need to know!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 23:02   #4
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Faust;

Such a failure is quite uncommon and would not occur without "help" or at least some pre-existing conditions...

"check your upper bolts"...about the only thing which can be verified on these bolts by inspection is that they are Grade 8 bolts, that they are tight, and that the anti-rotation features are in place to prevent them from loosening on their own. The mid-shaft (torsional?) failure you experienced cannot be found by inspection(!), so I would be interested in the answers to several questions: Was the moment of failure concurrent with a shock suspension input (like a pothole or hitting a curb)? Is it an OE bolt (check markings on bolt head), or was it replaced (possibly with an inferior bolt) at last alignment , when shims may have been adjusted, and possibly over-torqued at that time? Was bolt tight...or was it loose and allowed to dance in place (check for galling on shaft-sides)? Did shims of one bolt get lost, increasing forces on other bolt to the point of failure. Post close-up of broken surfaces and inspect for galling...often, much can be learned from a close inspection of the failed part. These are the steps for correct failure analysis and understanding, and inquiring minds need to know!

Cheers
Didn't hit a pot hole or curb (look after my car better than that!)

OE bolt

Anti-rotation shim was in place (had to bend the tab down to remove the head of the bolt)

Shims were present and correct (damn lucky I didn't lose them - they were held on the threaded portion of the bolt which protruded from its housing in the cross member)

Bolt would've torqued to the specified amount in the green book/haynes manual

Looking closely at the bolt: it would appear that a tiny crack had developed which allowed corrosion to further weaken it (think of tiny rust splotches on the sheared surface). I've tried to take a picture but my phone camera won't pick up sufficient detail to make it worth posting).

Mike
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 11:38   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Putting bending tension on these bolts can be caused by trying to adjust castor. VERY few people will try and alter this from the factory settings just sticking to the easier change to get a bit of extra camber. If you are doing the camber change by adding, probably, a pair of extra thick shims each side it's a good idea to change the bolts. They are grade 8 (8.8 on head). They do lead a hard life.
part #955550 7/16"UNC x 51mm
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 18:57   #6
c1800
Master Member

Metric grade 8.8 is equivalent to SAE grade 5. Apparently using grade 8 bolts in some front end applications can lead to failure due to inability to torque grade 8 properly.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 23:22   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I'm fairly certain that the bolts are SAE grade 8 which is similar to the metric high tensile 10.9 grade
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:34   #8
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Here I am feeling good about doing all my bushings front and rear this spring and now I have to worry about ghos?! Oh boy, I believe in Ron saying it's unusual! (Said with fingers crossed!) I always replace suspect bolts during maintenance ops. Don't remember these looking shaky. Glad you made it out of this okay!!
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigbunt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 16:04   #9
c1800
Master Member

I reference the following thread on yahoo 1800 list regarding grade 5 vs grade 8 bolts. Indicates that OEM bolt is grade 5, and the grade 8 is too hard for the material it screws into.
If you can’t access this I can transcribe.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../topics/161879

Some further discussion here

http://vclassics.com/archive/align.htm

Last edited by c1800; Sep 27th, 2017 at 16:10.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 18:28   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
I reference the following thread on yahoo 1800 list regarding grade 5 vs grade 8 bolts. Indicates that OEM bolt is grade 5, and the grade 8 is too hard for the material it screws into.
If you can’t access this I can transcribe.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../topics/161879

Some further discussion here

http://vclassics.com/archive/align.htm
If you can transcribe that would be great. Could be interesting reading
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote