Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2.0t auto reviews/opinions please

Views : 2766

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2017, 16:19   #31
Samwell
Master Member

Another little update. Over the past couple of days I've been driving and it seemed to me that the smoke/steam issue was getting worse. So much so that people behind me were flashing when I was stopped at junctions or pulling away... Still No mayo, no water loss, no bubbles in the tank, no overheating.

I started to wonder if it was due to the fact I had put in a whole bottle of injector cleaner with a too little percentage of fuel (25%ish). I topped up yesterday but of course didn't expect to see instant results. I had heard and read and seen that injector cleaners will do this, sometimes more so than I have experienced.

So today, finally decided to wash the car at the car wash. Pressure washed under the engine bay a little, the tip of the exhaust pipe, but not down it. After driving off, it could be me just missing it, but im certain that all of the smoking had stopped! It's early days yet but for once, I felt rather positive! I got home and with the engine at full operating temp, took the cap off and filmed the water. No bubbles, no oil.

Fingers crossed I guess. It's due into Volvo on Tuesday for the pipe fix. I might ask them to test the water/tank for emissions.

On another note... It's rather cold here, as to be expected in Sweden at winter. When starting up, the revs hold high, as I've experienced with any other car and as I expect, but being an auto, the car trys to launch away from standing when put into reverse or drive, until it's warmed up, of course. Feels kind of dangerous to me, I think I look like a fool too, like I can't control the car. Is this normal in autos? Should I be concerned?
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 17:03   #32
Baffler
Premier Member

Hi Sam,

I bet it's your turbo oil return pipe/seal allowing oil onto the hot downpipe! I think I may even go as far as to put money on it!

On your last note...service the throttle butterfly valve and idle air control valve.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 17:39   #33
Samwell
Master Member

Hi

It is indeed leaking. But it doesn't quite make sense with how there's white steam coming from the exhaust itself. But yes, that's what it's booked in at Volvo for next week, they gave me a quote that couldn't be turned down.

Regarding the butterfly valve and air control, how would one do this? I'm a little rusty when it comes to petrols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Hi Sam,

I bet it's your turbo oil return pipe/seal allowing oil onto the hot downpipe! I think I may even go as far as to put money on it!

On your last note...service the throttle butterfly valve and idle air control valve.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 17:53   #34
Baffler
Premier Member

Well...burning oil will produce whitish smoke...add that to the hot healthy toxins flowing from your exhaust, into a freezing atmosphere, will leave a trail in your wake.

How to clean your IACV - courtesy of Manoman.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 18:30   #35
Samwell
Master Member

Top man! Looks easy too, I'll give it a whirl as soon as I can! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Well...burning oil will produce whitish smoke...add that to the hot healthy toxins flowing from your exhaust, into a freezing atmosphere, will leave a trail in your wake.

How to clean your IACV - courtesy of Manoman.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 19:27   #36
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwell View Post
Another little update. Over the past couple of days I've been driving and it seemed to me that the smoke/steam issue was getting worse. So much so that people behind me were flashing when I was stopped at junctions or pulling away... Still No mayo, no water loss, no bubbles in the tank, no overheating.

I started to wonder if it was due to the fact I had put in a whole bottle of injector cleaner with a too little percentage of fuel (25%ish). I topped up yesterday but of course didn't expect to see instant results. I had heard and read and seen that injector cleaners will do this, sometimes more so than I have experienced.

So today, finally decided to wash the car at the car wash. Pressure washed under the engine bay a little, the tip of the exhaust pipe, but not down it. After driving off, it could be me just missing it, but im certain that all of the smoking had stopped! It's early days yet but for once, I felt rather positive! I got home and with the engine at full operating temp, took the cap off and filmed the water. No bubbles, no oil.

Fingers crossed I guess. It's due into Volvo on Tuesday for the pipe fix. I might ask them to test the water/tank for emissions.

On another note... It's rather cold here, as to be expected in Sweden at winter. When starting up, the revs hold high, as I've experienced with any other car and as I expect, but being an auto, the car trys to launch away from standing when put into reverse or drive, until it's warmed up, of course. Feels kind of dangerous to me, I think I look like a fool too, like I can't control the car. Is this normal in autos? Should I be concerned?
Yes, it is normal and No, no need to be concerned.

When an engine is cold the idle revs are set higher until it warms up and slowly returns to normal idle. The faster idle will engage the autobox in exactly the same way as lightly pressing the throttle with a warm engine.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 17:55   #37
Samwell
Master Member

Another update... She's begun to steam a lot from the exhaust again. It seems to have come on gradually since cleaning the car (which I thought stopped the steamy issue) Anyway, into Volvo tomorrow to fix the oil return pipe. Hope that makes a difference. I will change the oil and filter next Sunday.

New issue that's got me puzzled. The passenger front footwell seems to never clear from water. I never sit there and haven't had a passenger yet so it's a bit odd. Took the mats out, washed them,dried them, but a few hours later it had a small pool of water again. No leaking from the door or bulkhead area, the interior carpet stays dry too... I Have a moisture box/dehumidifier in the car but it can't seem to cope with this amount of water.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 20:35   #38
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Another update... She's begun to steam a lot from the exhaust again. It seems to have come on gradually since cleaning the car (which I thought stopped the steamy issue) Anyway, into Volvo tomorrow to fix the oil return pipe. Hope that makes a difference. I will change the oil and filter next Sunday.

New issue that's got me puzzled. The passenger front footwell seems to never clear from water. I never sit there and haven't had a passenger yet so it's a bit odd. Took the mats out, washed them,dried them, but a few hours later it had a small pool of water again. No leaking from the door or bulkhead area, the interior carpet stays dry too... I Have a moisture box/dehumidifier in the car but it can't seem to cope with this amount of water.
Possibly the heater matrix has goosed. Usually appears in the passenger footwell. As for the 'steam', was about -1c tonight and mine looked like I had let off some smoke camouflage such was the amount of it coming from the exhaust.

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 20:32   #39
Samwell
Master Member

Hi all

New update.

The cars been to Volvo, had the seal and gasket to the oil return pipe replaced. Can't say for sure yet but I'm guessing the leak has gone. It's been to much snow and too wet to get under the car and tell for sure. But, it only cost me 1000sek which is less than £100! I was shocked.

Smoke/steaming issue is still there, getting worse, if I'm honest. But, I purchased one of those testers off ebay which uses fluid and some odd device to show if gases are present in the water. Ran the test for 6 minutes, as directed, no change to the water. Turned car off, back on, ran it again at high revs, nothing. As the water hasn't been dropping and this test would seem to concur, I don't think there's a problem with the coolant system. Great!... Or is it?

Now I'm not sure what the issue could be... Ive looked up overfuelling symptoms and I'm wondering if I could be that. As the car pulls well, doesn't splutter, I had doubted the maf sensor. But a false reading from that could probably tell the engine to fuel harder or confuse the ecu to the outside temperature... Im also wondering about the lambda sensor/s, probably original, probably done heir life, but could that cause overfuelling???

Footwell wetness issue seems to be ok. Drained The water, dried it and it's staying dry, just now.

Another odd thing that might help diagnosis in this situation, sometimes, usually after I've taken a short drive, perhaps out for my lunch etc, when I get back in, it takes few seconds to start, almost like it's struggling to push fuel in. After longer drives it's fine, in the cold mornings it's fine, only seems to be between short distances.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 14:19   #40
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Another odd thing that might help diagnosis in this situation, sometimes, usually after I've taken a short drive, perhaps out for my lunch etc, when I get back in, it takes few seconds to start, almost like it's struggling to push fuel in. After longer drives it's fine, in the cold mornings it's fine, only seems to be between short distances.
That sounds like a tired Fuel Pump (~100k mile lifespan) or possible Fuel Pressure Regulator becoming weak. A low level of fuel in the tank will cause the pump to overheat and work harder. Once you've switched off the engine, after a short journey, try prime the fuel pump 3 times (ignition position II) and then see how quickly it starts on your 4th attempt.

Or possible Engine Temp Sensor sending out incorrect info to the ECU. Do you have a multi-meter to test the sensor for resistance (Ohms)? Is it heavy on fuel? How quickly does it come up to normal operating temperature (92°) and does the gauge sit at 3 o'clock?