Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

clicking

Views : 486

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2017, 13:05   #1
RobertP
RobertP

Default clicking

It's been a bit snowy here lately. I don't know if it's connected, but, when I start my 1.9 diesel, X-reg, I get a loud slow clicking from somewhere behind the glovebox or the passenger's air vent. Turning the fan off doesn't stop it, but it does stop after half a minute or so. The first time, it stopped when I opened the glovebox! Any ideas? Thanks for looking.
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 15:29   #2
gatos
Premier Member

It is the Air recirculation motor. A small plastic cog inside it breaks and causes this problem. Classic problem with a few S/V40s. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...37#post1011037

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 23:45   #3
RobertP
RobertP

Thank you very much. It did indeed seem to be linked to using the recirculating air option, as the grille in the scuttle was full of snow. Just need a warm sunny day now...
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 15:14   #4
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
It is the Air recirculation motor. A small plastic cog inside it breaks and causes this problem. Classic problem with a few S/V40s. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...37#post1011037
I try to tell people about this on the "other" forum but nobody ever listens!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 17:58   #5
gatos
Premier Member

It is a bit tricky to replace the motor. I made a guide sometime ago, but all the photos disappeared. Here is my second try

There are two methods to do this

Method 1
Remove the speaker grille cover. Lift it from the rear (the part nearest to the windscreen, otherwise you may break the two nearest clips)

Undo the 10mm bolt. You will need two long extensions to reach the bolt. Use a magnetic socket, or if you don't have, put a tiny pit of blue tack on the socket, so the bolt stick to the socket. If not, it will fall down and can some times be very hard to find again

Open the glovebox and undo the two bolts securing the airbag bracket on the car frame. Take a sip of coffee or tea....

Undo the two screws pointed by the green arrows and remove the soundproof cover. Unclip the cover pointed by the yellow arrow

Undo the 10mm bolt

If you want, you can also remove the glovebox. You don't have too, but it helps a bit when you pull out the dashboard, as it will allow it to flex a bit more. Just undo the two screws securing the glovebox brackets and you can just slide out the glovebox

There is another 10mm bolt on the other side of the passengers footwell, covered by the side carpet. You don't have to undo it, but if you do, it will allow you to pull the dashboard a little bit more and give you slightly better access to the recirculation motor. So if you decide to do this, the undo the screw securing the carpet and carefully remove it following the VIDA instructions. Be careful not to break the bracket of the panel at the rear. VIDA says "Pull the panel out of the centre console using a twisting action."

Undo this 10mm bolt

If you now pull out the dashboard carefully, You should now be able to see the recirculation motor. Use common sense, when pulling the dashboard. It is made of plastic and can flex a bit, but don't overdo it too much, as you risk braking something

The following images of the recirculation motor are from a car where I removed the whole dashboard. I am using this photos, as it is easier to see what you will need to do. Using a very short screw driver, undo the 3 screws (pointed by the yellow arrows) and rotate the white clip (pointed by the red arrow) upwards to unhook it from the rod

You can now remove the recirculation motor. Part number is MR68

You can either get a replacement motor, or take the one you have apart very carefully. You will find that a couple of the teeth on one of the cogs are damaged. You can rotate that cog 180 degrees and fit everything back together and the motor should be working fine again. This motor is working fine, so you can't see the broken cog teeth, as none of them are broken. It is just to give you an idea of what it looks inside

METHOD 2
This is the method another member here tried, where instead of pullinging out the dashboard, he removed the glovebox and cut a flap through the plastic of the dashboard which is hidden behind the glovebox. That gives enough access to the recirculation motor. I will leave it up to you to decide which method is the best. If you don't want to butcher your car, then follow the first method. If you don't mind so much, then the second method is by far much much easier. Don't forget that when the glovebox goes back in, it will hide most of the damage

Undo the two screws pointed by the green arrows and remove the soundproof cover. Unclip the cover pointed by the yellow arrow

Undo the two screws securing the glovebox brackets and you can just slide out the glovebox

Using a sharp tool, cut through the plastic of the dashboard which is hidden behind the glovebox. You will have to cut a bit higher than I did in the photo below, to access the top screw. Be careful when you are cutting it and don't go to deep inside in case you damage anything behind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recirc01.JPG (125.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc02.JPG (108.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc03.JPG (95.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc04.JPG (119.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc05.JPG (88.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc06.jpg (86.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc07.jpg (99.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc08.JPG (98.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc09.JPG (102.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc10.jpg (100.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc11.jpg (88.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc12.jpg (38.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc13.JPG (126.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc14.jpg (84.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Recirc15.JPG (215.0 KB, 46 views)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 15:53   #6
RobertP
RobertP

That's brilliant. What a pity mine didn't fail in the summer when the plastic would have been soft and pliable. I'll try and fix it after a long-ish run when the interior is warmed up. Thank you.