Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Supercharger Project

Views : 29703

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 13:20   #21
Oilline

Default Progress at last

At last i have my car back from being wired up. Ken Cooper has done a very good job of building a factory look injection harness as well as updating some of my dodgy wiring. I now have a modern fuse box and relays which sits above the parcel shelf fastened to the back of the battery tray. Everthing is on relays now and i now have standard blade fuses.

The big bunch of wires that comes through the bulkhead has been re-done and re-sleeved and also the wiring down the inner wing to the front lights has beed redone and new connectors fitted.

See all the project pictures at
http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/oilbeback/

Hopefully i can now crack on and get the thing started up
Oilline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilline For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 17:25   #22
Oilline

Angry Bugger

Finally got it running nicely in the garage. Got fuel and ignition maps somewhere near. Had to mess about a bit with crank/supercharger pulley allignment.

All looking and sounding good.

Decided to have a drive up the drive and thats when it all went pear shaped!
Engine seized ? Dont know why ?

Eventually managed to roll it back to the garage. Took the rocker cover off for a start and there was No2 inlet valve spring in two pieces and no valve to be seen.

OH BUGGER.

Had enough for today so ive just left it.
I will take the head off tomorrow and see what the damage is. It may not be a bad thing as i was thinking of boring out to take B21 pistons for 2130cc. Am i correct in thinking that B21 pistons are forged as standard? If not does anyone know a supplier for forged pistons?
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 15:39   #23
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Mark,

AFAIK, the B21 TURBO pistons are forged, but the rest aren't.
Hang in there. Anything worth doing always takes a lot of trial and error.

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 22:58   #24
blitzwagen

Hello Mark,

Soldier on ! I monitor this board just to see the progress with your project. I'm wanting more power for my vintage volvo and I'm dying to see what you achieve with the Rotrex. This is the only centrifugal supercharger project for the B20 being documented. I'm personally considering the Toyota SC-14 because they pretty easily obtainable at the local breakers.

Cheers,
Josh
blitzwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 14:56   #25
Oilline

Default Latest News

Hello All. After my last installment when N02 Inlet valve decided to drop and wreck the bore i have been looking for a new block to base a 2130cc overbore on. Simon Ward came to the rescue with a very late B20 with 8 bolt flywheel. I have decided to go overboard and have ordered forged rods and B21 pistons from America. I am also waiting for one of John Parkers "supercharged" spec camshafts.

Whilst i am waiting i have started on my rear disc setup. I have chopped the Estate brackets of my original axle and welded them onto a P1800ES axle. I am making some tubuler steel radius arms and panard rod to replace the pressed steel ones. Again from America, a 2 foot length of 90A polyurethane is on its way from which i am turning poly bushes.

Also my new wheels have arrived. 7.5" x 18" Dotz Roadster. 108mm PCD and 43 mm offset. At the back i have 235/40 x 18 tyres which fit nicely. On the front i have P1800ES spindles to match the PCD with the rear. 205/45 x 18 tyres fit with a 18mm spacer to bring the offset back to ET25. The overall diameter of the rear set up is exactly the same as standard and the front 4mm smaller.

See all the pictures at
http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/oilbeback/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3080099.JPG (150.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg P3130104.JPG (142.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg P3130105.JPG (144.7 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Oilline; Mar 14th, 2009 at 15:18. Reason: Added link
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:03   #26
kolbenkipper

Hey there,

thats awful news, was hoping for some nice acceleration grins. Anyway, wish you even more luck for the new block. Concerning the pistons out of the B21, as far as I know those have 24mm conrod pins. They are quite popular for bored B20's but you need the right conrods. Tuners I heard of shrink fit the piston pin into the conrod. Supposed to be the best, most reliable fitting soultion.
Make sure you don't mix imperial stuff with metric stuff. The change to metric engines was in '73 if I'm not completely wrong.

Have a look here if you are in need of mint new conrods...
http://www.pauter.com/exotica.htm

Good luck,
Bruno
kolbenkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:24   #27
Oilline

Hi Bruno

My new block is a late B20 metric block with 24mm pins so i should be OK.
I have found a set of forged rods at R-Sport International for $400 and a set of weisco forged pistons at $600 which sounds good to me.
The one thing i am struggling with is a head gasket to suit the bored out B20 block. Any ideas? i think IPD used to do them.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:48   #28
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Interesting project! FWIW, B230 cast pistons are good for over 300whp, and I suspect the same would be true of the OHC ones...if you can get the head to flow enough air to make that power!

What bore do you need? Standard is 88.9mm like a B200, right? Cometic do an "MLS" (i.e. steel) gasket in 90mm and 92mm...if that's any good?

I'm curious that you mention MS v2.5. Unless I'm going bonkers, they jumped straight from a v2.2 board (what we're using, with MSnS-Extra code) to a v3.0 board. The v3 board is available with both the original Motorola processor and the new fancy "MS-II" processor. Anyway, very interesting to see another UK car on MS.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 13:33   #29
Oilline

Hi James
Thanks for the link to Cometic, i will give them a call on Monday.

I have been told that the standard Mahle pistons are very strong, but i am after peace of mind and a good stron bottom end incase i get the desire to crank up the boost!

The MS v2.5 came from M-Tech Automotive. I think that it is a hybrid which they have devised themselves. If i had known better i would of bought a different system. Its all working Ok now, but it is designd mainly for Ford Zetec/CVH engines as a straight replacment for standard management.

Mark
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 21:58   #30
kolbenkipper

Hi,

if you still need a head gasket, KG trimning has got one for 92 to 93mm bore as they write in their catalog. That one is 1.2mm thick. They got different a few different gaskets on offer. You might want a fairly thick one which doesn't bring the CR up too high.

http://www.kgtrimning.com/KGTRIMNING162005web.pdf

It all sounds good and to me, can't wait for some boosting news :-)

Cheers,
Bruno
kolbenkipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big brakes, supercharger