Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hill Start with a Manual XC90

Views : 1993

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:58   #1
sl780k

Quick qn. I'm getting the xc90 d5 manual in March and I'm confused about how the parking brake works. I'm used to hand brakes.

Say you stop on a hill at traffic lights. In my current car, i'd engage neutral, hand brake on, once we go green, de-clutch, first gear - slowly lift, then release hand brake.

How do you do that with the parking brake - if you use the hand release it will just lurch forward.

I'm thinking i should just get the Geartronic!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:07   #2
5lab

Default RE: Hill Start with a Manual XC90

maybe it has HSA - where it holds the brakes on for you by itself..

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:48   #3
perussell

The system is very similar to those on most Mercedes cars and consequently can be just as difficult to disengage smoothly which is why most Mercs are sold with auto boxes.
Where I am working we have numerous XC90's and only one person (that I know of) has gone for a manual box - which failed on Boxing Day (towed off on back of truck, fixed by dealer in less than 30 mins). He only gets an additional 2-3 mpg over the rest of us.
Go for the Geartronic if it's a personal purchase - not least because I suspect the enhanced 2nd hand value (autos are the choice for most people in this price bracket) will outweigh any fuel savings you might otherwise make. And of course you still effectively have a clutchless manual change with the Geartronic.
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:49   #4
ianu
Premier Member

I have actually purchased a D5Se withe the 6 speed manual g/box. I must admit that hill starts - or just the routine for parking/pulling away took a conscious effort to work out the right sequence to avoid stalling etc. The best reminder that you need to think differently is the fact the 'handbrake' is missing. I was worried my wife would have problems - but not at all. Simple as - foot brake on, clutch in, out of gear, clutch out, parking brake on (release footbrake gently)
If like most people you sit with your foot on the brake anyway - it's even less of a problem.
However - if like my wife you put it on as hard as your foot can press the peddle - it makes it very difficult to release from the hand release - 3 notches is usually sufficient to hold the car on most hills and is then very easy to allow the clutch to reach biting point, flick the release handle - and your off..

2 things made me go for the manual: Firstly the worringly slow response from the auto when trying to pull out of a side road or cross a busy junction just seemed to be too stressful to cope with (unless you can afford the fuel for the T6 that is) - I felt I had more control to make a safer decision without having to plant the throttle and pray.
Secondly - I must admit it was for the fuel consumption. Experience with an auto demonstrator whilst waiting for my own car - even gentle motorway just scraped over 30mpg - average running around seemed to sit at 27 - 28ish (depending how often you have to pull out of side roads and cross busy junctions really !). The manual rugularly returnds 35 running around - and this last weekend and the gentle trawl from Oxford to Plymouth saw the trip top 42mpg (true it didn't stay there for long once we hit hilly country lanes in Cornwall)- but return trip average was 39mpg.

And thirdly - my wife won't drive autos....

Personally I agree the auto is very relaxing to drive - with the manual box the engine is so flexible at low speeds you still don't need to change gear much anyway. As a family car - if your watching the fuel bills it is possible to get more than just a few mpg more than the Auto though (and they're cheaper to start with).

Maybe try before you buy - if it's not to late. Have fun.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:37   #5
Neale

Don't worry - no problems.

We bought a manual last year (without getting chance to try one as they are pretty rare).

Love it.

Can't get my head around automatics.

basically you need to drive exactly the same. it's just that instead of the release of the handbrake in the centre console, your have a slightly quicker relaease when you pull the lever under the drivers side.

Just lift the clutch up - it'll start to engage and then you release and you're 'holding' the car. No different really.

I can't recommend the manual enough - it's great to drive - you can drive more or less aggressively (depending on your style and mood!)