Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

Views : 70158

Replies : 599

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2011, 20:48   #61
pez
VOC Member

looking forward to the pics mitch,i should have mine back from the bodyshop early august,having a lot of panel work done before paint.
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 22:01   #62
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks Pez,

Just back in, the cars looking good and we like the colour. I'll give a run down on progress later but here and the pics I took today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.jpg (186.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0257.jpg (241.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0258.jpg (223.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0259.jpg (186.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.jpg (176.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0262.jpg (201.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (193.4 KB, 66 views)
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 22:09   #63
gillberry
VOC Member

Thanks for showing pics they bring back memories of just over a year ago for us . The end result well worth it .

From this ,

to this ,

ending with this a photoshoot for practical classics

Well worth the wait and she is now giving us endless pleasure and after all the work we know she will for many years to come . Yours will be a joy , please keep the progress pics coming .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:48   #64
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I went to have a look at the car last night and am very please how things are going. Graeme the resto guy has pretty much finished the bodywork and priming the outside with only a bit more left to do. He said it's had a lot of paint over the years and was glad when he finished removing it. He's going to crack on with the inside now.

The engine build is all but completed and am just waiting on the new push rods so I can finish it off. I'll then give the engine a coat of paint. Hopefully the pushrods will turn up today or tomorrow so I can finish the engine on the weekend and will post some pics.

I'd also like to give Graeme the resto guy a plug. Anyone up my way looking for a good quality restoration guy and he's a really nice straight up guy as well then please get in contact with Graeme:
Retro Restorations
Fraserburgh

Last edited by Burdekin; Jun 30th, 2011 at 07:54.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 20:12   #65
pez
VOC Member

looking good mitch! this reminds me i,ll have to update my own thread! and the progress so far,keep those pics coming mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to pez For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 21:52   #66
john h
VOC Member

I've been slow to spot this. But, it's a nice car and a nice plan!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 18:05   #67
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I closed the engine off on the weekend and have given it one coat of paint, will do one or two more during the week. The new 4mm longer push rods are spot on so I put them in, torqued down the head, put on the rocker assembly and set the valve clearances. I set them at .5mm but will need to check with KG if this is okay for the KG10 cam. I need to crack on with getting the engine accessories sorted so it is all ready to go when the car is done.

The engine specs and new parts:
Lightened flywheel
Clutch assembly
Polished crank and new bearings
Balanced clutch/flywheel/crank and con rods assembly
Bored 30thou over cylinders
Pistons and rings
Skimmed and worked E head with hardened exhaust seats - CR 10:1
Inlet & exhaust valves and valve springs
KG10 cam, followers & push rods
Oil, fuel and water pumps
Front and rear crank covers with modern seals
Rocker assembly
Gasket, seals and bolts etc.

I've attached some pics showing the push rods being too short, before the engine was painted (I would have left it like this if not painting the car), longer and thicker than standard push rod, rocker assembly and showing how we sealed off the injector ports with £1 coins which were given a whack with the hammer to flare out then some metal putty to help hold them in place and then filed flat, and the engine with one coat of paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0248.jpg (199.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0253.jpg (179.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0264.jpg (372.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0272.jpg (265.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.jpg (241.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (248.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (278.1 KB, 72 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 18:44   #68
pez
VOC Member

should be a good strong engine that mitch,good work,like what uve done to block off the injector holes! only cost yer four quid,and their readily avaliable!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pez For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 19:59   #69
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Just a wee update. Finished painting the engine this week, 4 coats and a wee rub down between each coat. I'm not the best painter but it looks okay. I'll dress the engine to make sure everything fits okay before I take it up to the resto guy.

Yesterday I stripped back and primed the petrol cap I got from Paul (222s), came up nice and it will looked good when painted and on the car. In the afternoon I drove up to see the resto guy to go through the bright work and interior to see what should be kept and what should be replaced. I'm still undecided on the interior with regard to what I should replace and what I should keep. The brightwork that I thought looks good enough to keep I brought home with me and today I've been hitting out all the dents with my lead chaser and hammer and polishing out the scratches. It won't be perfect but am happy and surprised so far how well things are coming up. I spent a bit of time on straightening the grills, one in particular was quite knocked about but it goes back into shape really easily and with some elbow grease I hope it will look great when finished.

The resto guy reckons he might be finished the car this week so I need to get the new rubbers and everything else back up to him as soon as I can. Attached some pics from the weekend of the car in the final colour and some of the bits. I really like it.

One last thing, have been using aluminium foil in soapy water to polish the side mouldings and is working a treat and polishes out the small scratches...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0284.jpg (244.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0285.jpg (205.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0286.jpg (268.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0289.jpg (188.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0290.jpg (205.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0291.jpg (245.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0292.jpg (247.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0294.jpg (264.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Burdekin; Jul 10th, 2011 at 20:03.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 20:32   #70
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

This week has been spent knocking out the dents, straightening the best I could and polishing the exterior brightwork. It's far from perfect but considerably better than what it was. I've been wrestling in my mind with regard to how many new parts to put on the car, as I want to keep the character which the original parts and their wear and tear bring but I don't want them to stand out like you know what against the new paint. I think I have a better idea what I want to achieve now and I want to ensure I don't over restore the car. The interior I'm going to restore as much as I can but will need a new headliner, the interior trimming around the doors and carpet. I'll get the two rips in the front seats repaired and new cushions if required and then just a thorough spit and polish and I think that will be cool, just like an old favourite leather couch. ;-) How does that sound?

I also ordered new stainless bumpers (the old ones were well past their best and had done their job), all new rubbers, and a few exterior bright work bits that couldn't be reused as hopefully the car will start being put back together next week. Brookhouse did me a good deal on the parts (except the bumpers which I got elsewhere for as much as I could haggle them down). Will give the resto guy a call tomorrow to see how he's getting on.

I won't be able to spend much time this weekend on the car but the next thing on the to do list is make sure the engine is dressed and I have everything required. I hope to be putting the engine back in the following weekend all going well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0313.jpg (352.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (249.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0316.jpg (272.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0317.jpg (218.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0318.jpg (254.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0319.jpg (296.2 KB, 34 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post: