Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2031826

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:45   #501
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Just a thought Alan, perhaps change the bulb in it for an LED and a big enough resistor so it only give "mood lighting" rather than "in yer face brightness"?

Bob might like to see where he's putting his paws after an after-dark walkies!
The light above the rear ash tray problem is fixed: the problem was a duff (new) bulb. It works fine in the 'P' and lights on positions now.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 23rd, 2020 at 12:56. Reason: spelling
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:53   #502
Othen
Premier Member

Default Interior light delay relay

The interior light 10 second delay relay showed up in the mail today (a week late). It was trivial to fit, just 4 wires:

I took a permanent 12v feed from the back of the radio, ran an earth return and cut into the wire leading to the driver's door switch, then used two of these little solder/heat shrink connectors to splice the other two wires into it:

... all very straightforward:

The only minor irritation was that the relay didn't come with a bracket to secure it, so I neatly zip tied it near the steering column:

It works fine, and gives a useful 10 second delay to find the ignition key after closing the door. Good value at £15 delivered I thought.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 20:24   #503
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm not sure on the headlights you've got Alan but i've done a few Rover ones in my time and they have a rubber gasket in a groove in the housing and the lens sits in the groove, retained by big C shaped clips that hold onto a ridge on the glass and the housing.

However, it can be tricky and any slight misjudgement can result in a broken lens (i speak from bitter experience!) but the chances are the dust cover round the bulb(s) is or has been missing.

If it's there now, remove it and park it facing the sun to dry the moisture and let it evaporate off - replace the dust cover before sundown though so as it cools, it doesn't pull colder, moist air back in and create more condensation.
Many thanks Dave.
Alan
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 09:44   #504
Othen
Premier Member

Default Oil Leak

See below (fat fingers typing problem).

Last edited by Othen; Mar 24th, 2020 at 09:46.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 09:45   #505
Othen
Premier Member

Default Oil Leak

The Royal Barge has sprung a little oil leak (or perhaps I've only just noticed it?). It isn't much, a few drops overnight.

The leak seems to be coming from the camshaft cover, on the right side, as you may see here:

I can't help thinking the PO probably knew of it, because I've found two replacement gaskets in the spares box:

They appear to be identical, but one says it is for a B19A, 1986cc motor, the other is for a B21A 2316cc engine. Now, my car has a B21A 2127cc, does anyone know whether these gaskets will fit? It would appear (at first glance) that Volvo didn't change the gasket for several decades, and fitted it to a number of 4 cylinder cars. The two gaskets I have certainly look like they are exactly the same as this one for a B21A:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/payen-7438120.html

If someone would let me know whether one of these gaskets will suit I'll get it fitted in the next few days (I'm not exactly doing anything else at the moment).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 24th, 2020 at 09:57. Reason: Addition.
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 12:13   #506
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The Royal Barge has sprung a little oil leak (or perhaps I've only just noticed it?). It isn't much, a few drops overnight.

The leak seems to be coming from the camshaft cover, on the right side, as you may see here:

I can't help thinking the PO probably knew of it, because I've found two replacement gaskets in the spares box:

They appear to be identical, but one says it is for a B19A, 1986cc motor, the other is for a B21A 2316cc engine. Now, my car has a B21A 2127cc, does anyone know whether these gaskets will fit? It would appear (at first glance) that Volvo didn't change the gasket for several decades, and fitted it to a number of 4 cylinder cars. The two gaskets I have certainly look like they are exactly the same as this one for a B21A:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/payen-7438120.html

If someone would let me know whether one of these gaskets will suit I'll get it fitted in the next few days (I'm not exactly doing anything else at the moment).

Alan
They should be identical Alan, the acid test is remove the likely one (B21A) from the packaging and lay it on top of the less likely one. If there are no discrepancies or some that won't make any difference or could be amputated with a scalpel if necessary then they'll both fit.

Don't over-tighten the cover and before you fit the new gasket (after removing the old one) check the rocker cover isn't distorted by laying it on top of the head. It appears that you have the pressed steel rocker cover so any distortion can be reduced with your panel beating skills.

Some people suggest a thin bead of RTV on the mating face of the rocker cover and another on the head, fit the cover and let it sit purely on its own weight for 10 minutes or so then add the nuts, tightening them evenly and progressively to the recommended torque (no tighter as that distorts the cover) and it should give you leak-free service.

Obviously the surfaces need to be clean and degreased for it to work best but should keep you busy for half an hour and a nice excuse to take Bob for an extended walk after as you can now only give him one walk a day.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 12:47   #507
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
They should be identical Alan, the acid test is remove the likely one (B21A) from the packaging and lay it on top of the less likely one. If there are no discrepancies or some that won't make any difference or could be amputated with a scalpel if necessary then they'll both fit.

Don't over-tighten the cover and before you fit the new gasket (after removing the old one) check the rocker cover isn't distorted by laying it on top of the head. It appears that you have the pressed steel rocker cover so any distortion can be reduced with your panel beating skills.

Some people suggest a thin bead of RTV on the mating face of the rocker cover and another on the head, fit the cover and let it sit purely on its own weight for 10 minutes or so then add the nuts, tightening them evenly and progressively to the recommended torque (no tighter as that distorts the cover) and it should give you leak-free service.

Obviously the surfaces need to be clean and degreased for it to work best but should keep you busy for half an hour and a nice excuse to take Bob for an extended walk after as you can now only give him one walk a day.
Many thanks Dave, that is very reassuring.

I think the parts are identical, I did a search on eBay for the BGA RK4310 part # and found it fits all the 4 cylinder cars made for about 2 decades - including the 1980 B21A.

Many thanks for the fitting tips.

Bob (and Monty, a dog belonging to one of my neighbuors) have just been for our walk, so I don't have much more I can do this afternoon than throw him a ball in the yard, so I might as well fill half an hour changing the gasket.

Alan
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 14:03   #508
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

Bob (and Monty, a dog belonging to one of my neighbuors) have just been for our walk, so I don't have much more I can do this afternoon than throw him a ball in the yard, so I might as well fill half an hour changing the gasket.

Alan
These are great fun Alan and you can even pick the ball up with the muzzle of the gun :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Ball-...r/113745085649

When Bob drops the ball near your feet just lean over from your patio chair with the gun (pull back the spring handle first though) and put the muzzle of the gun over the ball - it reloads it too! Then aim and fire! Goes about 30ft with a good one, a bit of slicone spray lube works wonders on the mechanism to give it some extra oomph as well!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 15:01   #509
CosmicBike

I like the interior light fix, have to say it's one of those annoying little things that just doesn't happen on modern cars, so I think I'll do the same.
Also loving the dog ball launcher, on the shopping list to keep my pair occupied.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 17:57   #510
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
These are great fun Alan and you can even pick the ball up with the muzzle of the gun :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Ball-...r/113745085649

When Bob drops the ball near your feet just lean over from your patio chair with the gun (pull back the spring handle first though) and put the muzzle of the gun over the ball - it reloads it too! Then aim and fire! Goes about 30ft with a good one, a bit of slicone spray lube works wonders on the mechanism to give it some extra oomph as well!
Excellent Dave! I'll order one for Bob this eve.