Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rain sensor calibration?

Views : 6015

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2018, 16:33   #11
MDS40

an 'adjustable' auto sensor? what's that all about?

Exactly. Mine seem so hit and miss that i don't bother using them.
Rainx windscreen cleaner and intermittent wipe works fine for me.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 11:26   #12
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

A pic of the sensor, I finally remembered to do it.
As Clan suspected, there is a bubble of air trapped there. Also I think the adhesive used is spots-silicone rather than a pad.
I have zero experience with fiddling with those - how do you get to it and correct it? (not even sure how to remove the plastic shroud, does it go out with mirror?).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181110_142957.jpg (108.6 KB, 130 views)
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 18:14   #13
Welton
Premier Member

I tried removing the shroud once but stopped as it started screaming "try a bit more and I'll break off" so I left it.

I "think" it might just quarter-turn and release but don't take me up on that.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 13:54   #14
phutyle

To remove the plastic shroud, squeeze it front and back and pull it apart, and it should split in two.

The rain sensor is then held on with two metal clasps each end. Pull them out, and it pops off. Then just disconnect the wiring connector.

pics of my before, during and after fix:

phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phutyle For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 16:51   #15
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
To remove the plastic shroud, squeeze it front and back and pull it apart, and it should split in two.

The rain sensor is then held on with two metal clasps each end. Pull them out, and it pops off. Then just disconnect the wiring connector. ...
uuu, nice, many thanks for this!!

so this weird pad is non-OEM solution? I see on 1st pic you also have a lot of small-round pads all around. Also - I thought sensor is the actual thing in the middle of this (that black part on windshield) where it is now covered with pad completely on your last photo. What part is the actual sensor "sensing" with??
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 10:38   #16
phutyle

I was never able to find an OEM pad/kit, and this Rejel one is the only one I could find to fit the car. They seem to make pads for pretty much ever car. Maybe they are the OEM supplier, I don't know. But that pad setup is what the rain sensor should come with. I've seen people on forums posting that they've used clear silicone sealant instead, but I have no idea if the qualities of silicone sealant(refractive index, etc) are suitable for the sensor. This pad is, as the auto wipers now work 100%.

Edit: Actually, from some things I've read, it seems the pad isn't available as an OEM/Volvo part at all. The OEM solution is to replace the entire sensor if the pad is missing/defective.

The kit comes with a syringe of liquid gel, and the pad. You put the sensor on a flat surface, and slowly flood it with the gel, until it comes to the top of the lip (and making sure none goes into the hole on the left/passenger side). Tap it to release any bubbles, then leave it to set until it becomes tacky. Then you put the pad on, and refit.

I assume the 8 truncated disks are the sensors. They're arranged in a ring, and black material on the windscreen is absent over them to let light in to them. The black bit on the windscreen in the middle is just cosmetic to cover up the area that doesn't have sensors. I'm assuming the system works by sensing the light that is bent through raindrops, due to it having a different refractive index to the glass - which it why the material between the sensors and glass is important. If it has a refractive index that's similar to water, the sensors are going to think they're detecting a wet windscreen all the time. Or it's going to negatively affect the detection of actual water. This is why mine didn't work without the pad - the air gap between the sensors and the glass did not allow the sensors to take a proper reading of the light coming through the windscreen (and water if present).

There's also a small hole in the sensor on the passenger side (with a lip around it), with a corresponding hole in the black material on the windscreen. It doesn't get covered by the liquid gel, and the pad doesn't sit over it when seated properly. So it has an unobstructed light path through the windscreen. I assume it too is a sensor, maybe taking a reading that is then compared to the other sensor matrix. It's hard to see on your photo if it's covered in gel. It shouldn't be if it is.

Last edited by phutyle; Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:14.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 13:04   #17
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
There's also a small hole in the sensor on the passenger side (with a lip around it), with a corresponding hole in the black material on the windscreen. It doesn't get covered by the liquid gel, and the pad doesn't sit over it when seated properly. So it has an unobstructed light path through the windscreen. I assume it too is a sensor, maybe taking a reading that is then compared to the other sensor matrix. It's hard to see on your photo if it's covered in gel. It shouldn't be if it is.
Heh, your explanation contradicts everything I thought about this sensor Never would think those 8 discs are sensors, especially if you are covering them with pad. That hole you refer to is not covered by gel, it looks like a small lens but in fact seem to be sensor as you mentioned.
Pretty complicated contraption, if you ask me, never thought much about this part but now I got interested, will research more about how it works.
will update if I get somewhere :P
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 14:12   #18
phutyle

So a bit more reading shows that automotive rain sensors work by shining infrared light from inside the vehicle at 45 degrees to the windscreen. The measurement of the light that bounces back onto the sensors can determine whether there's water droplets over the sensor area via the phenomenon of Total Internal Reflection.

I'm now assuming the small hole with the lens that's not covered by the pad is the IR emitter. I think the black area in the middle of the sensor array actually assists in the IR light being redirected back to the sensors after initially reflecting off the glass. I still assume the refractive index of the pad is integral to the operation of the system, as the IR light has to pass through it.
The Following User Says Thank You to phutyle For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 22:43   #19
Djbe17

Hi
I have the opposite problem, on auto the wipers are over sensitive an will wipe once every couple of minutes even with a dry screen....windscreen is very clean. This only recently started, prior to that they performed very well indeed. Any ideas welcome.

2016 xc60 D5 awd + winter pack
Djbe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 22:50   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbe17 View Post
Hi
I have the opposite problem, on auto the wipers are over sensitive an will wipe once every couple of minutes even with a dry screen....windscreen is very clean. This only recently started, prior to that they performed very well indeed. Any ideas welcome.

2016 xc60 D5 awd + winter pack
Has the sensor ever been off for a new windscreen ? It must be stuck back on using the opaque white colour volvo pad , can you see any signs of it coming un-bonded?