Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Authorities

Views : 1336

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2019, 11:49   #1
Aristotles Lantern

Default V50 Authorities

Hi all, it's recently come to my attention that my 2011 v50 D3 is actually an ex unmarked police car...

I've also noticed on the log book it says "VOLVO V50 2.0 D3 AUTHORITIES" which because I didn't notice; isn't what is declared on my insurance documentation. When I insured it I just gave them the reg number and they confirmed it was a Volvo v50...

Should I let them know? Do any of you have the AUTHORITIES editions? It's not even in the list on the insurer's website

I know it's got bigger brakes than spec (with wear sensors - which is how my mechanic found out it's an ex police car - the computer was going mental saying it'd run out of brake fluid, which it hadn't but the wear sensors are jerry-rigged into the fluid warning system). It's got all the blues in the grill but they've obviously been disconnected. Do you guys know any other differences between this car and stock? it goes pretty quick but I assume it's the original engine maybe with a bit of tuning?

Last edited by Aristotles Lantern; Jul 26th, 2019 at 12:33.
Aristotles Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aristotles Lantern For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 20:50   #2
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
Yes I certainly would recommend advising your insurer of this. Hopefully it won't make any difference.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:15   #3
Welton
Premier Member

As far as I know from what I've seen on here; Police models seem to include uprated alternators, bigger brakes and I think beefed-up road springs for the equipment normally carried in the boot.

The jury's out on whether the engines are 'tuned' some say yes, some say no.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 00:18   #4
PeteTheSwede
Mr Viking.

Found this on here and it's regards to xc70s and those had engine modifications from polestar to increase the HP, so most likely the V50 has most likely gone through the same treatment.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/newre...te=1&p=2540480

Last edited by PeteTheSwede; Sep 12th, 2019 at 00:20.
PeteTheSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 19:01   #5
festa316

Default so what model is it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles Lantern View Post
Hi all, it's recently come to my attention that my 2011 v50 D3 is actually an ex unmarked police car...

I've also noticed on the log book it says "VOLVO V50 2.0 D3 AUTHORITIES" which because I didn't notice; isn't what is declared on my insurance documentation. When I insured it I just gave them the reg number and they confirmed it was a Volvo v50...

Should I let them know? Do any of you have the AUTHORITIES editions? It's not even in the list on the insurer's website

I know it's got bigger brakes than spec (with wear sensors - which is how my mechanic found out it's an ex police car - the computer was going mental saying it'd run out of brake fluid, which it hadn't but the wear sensors are jerry-rigged into the fluid warning system). It's got all the blues in the grill but they've obviously been disconnected. Do you guys know any other differences between this car and stock? it goes pretty quick but I assume it's the original engine maybe with a bit of tuning?
my insurance company can not find the correct model on line and can not cover me till i can tell them

Last edited by festa316; Feb 22nd, 2021 at 19:09.
festa316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 19:09   #6
festa316

Quote:
Originally Posted by festa316 View Post
my insurance company can not find the correct model on line and can not cover me till i can tell them
so what model are they ?
festa316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 20:06   #7
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by festa316 View Post
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
We have the facility to enter vehicle details manually on our system which don;t appear on the standard databases.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 20:58   #8
kentishvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles Lantern View Post

You’ll find that most authorities models will have updated power. I know for example Kent’s v90’s are delivered with Polestar, Alloys are different too.

Not too sure on the older ones but Volvo do have an authorities department so it maybe worth making contact.
kentishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 14:59   #9
iainmd

I'd be fairly surprised if a D3 has had any form of power upgrade from the factory. A D5, maybe.

More than likely a D3 has been used as a paramedic car rather than police.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote