Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Permanent Solution to CEM issues

Views : 716

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2019, 18:39   #1
Cornish Expat

Default Permanent Solution to CEM issues

Is there a permanent solution to the electrical issues that seem to plague early P1 cars?
After being stranded due to ‘Brake Failure stop immediately”, Cleaning the CEM, being fine for 6 months then getting stranded again, wiggling the connections to the CEM, being fine for a week, getting the “anti-skid failure” message that precedes complete stranding, wiggling the CEM and being fine again I’m starting to get fed up driving a car that could strand me at the side of the road at any time.
Is there a permanent fix for a dodgy CEM or am I just going to have to dismantle everything and clean it every couple of months? If that’s the case then the car really isn’t fit for purpose as its going to have to be used for commuting soon.
Cornish Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 19:07   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Yes there is a permanent fix.

If your CEM is unreliable, replace it with a brand new one.
That will solve many reliability issues.

Of course, such a fix comes at a price - but it is the fastest and simplest way to resolve the issue and ensure reliability.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 20:57   #3
Cornish Expat

Thanks, I didn’t realise it was as simple as that, most online advice stops after “clean the CEM with a nylon brush”. Has anybody got any experience of doing this? Are reconditioned CEMs worth looking at (the car’s only worth £2k) or should I go new?
Cornish Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 21:10   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish Expat View Post
Thanks, I didn’t realise it was as simple as that, most online advice stops after “clean the CEM with a nylon brush”. Has anybody got any experience of doing this? Are reconditioned CEMs worth looking at (the car’s only worth £2k) or should I go new?
Brand new electronics are more reliable than 2nd hand or reconditioned.
That's because brand new has less operational hours on it than old.

You can clean and try and recondition CEMs. You may be successful. Or may not.

New parts come with guarantees and reliability but always come at a cost.

And cost vs effort vs gains is a very personal decision that you make based on your value of the car, your personal financial situation, and the effort you want to invest.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 14:50   #5
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Yes there is a permanent fix.

If your CEM is unreliable, replace it with a brand new one.
That will solve many reliability issues.

Of course, such a fix comes at a price - but it is the fastest and simplest way to resolve the issue and ensure reliability.
Rubbish. OP, please don't follow this advise.

I spoke to a family member at Volvo recently when I had this problem and 99% of the time it's never the CEM that's at fault, it's the terminals. The CEM's are actually (electronics wise) very reliable.

The fact you have to keep jiggling the connections is an easy sign that this is the problem.

Volvo sell a terminal pack to strip and replace the wiring loom. They degrade over time and don't fit so well, hence intermittent issues.

Don't waste £700+ at Volvo for a new CEM, you'll be right back where you started since that's not the problem!
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 15:02   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Wow, that's what I get for trying to help people? Well, **** *** **
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 15:06   #7
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Wow, that's what I get for trying to help people? Well, **** *** **
If buy ' helping people' you mean pointing them towards the dealer with their wallet wide open for unnecessary expensive 'fixes' that will only put them hugely out of pocket with no fix then what did you expect?
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 15:18   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish Expat View Post
Is there a permanent fix for a dodgy CEM or am I just going to have to dismantle everything and clean it every couple of months? If that’s the case then the car really isn’t fit for purpose as its going to have to be used for commuting soon.
Dont think of CEM as something you need to do maintenance on every so often - no, its either working OK or not. If not, its due to either connectors issue (loose or corroded etc) or internal problem (water ingress or just electronic dying). 99% of cases related to corroded/loose connections is sorted by cleaning and re-attaching all back into place, you dont need to repeat that every x months unless you have ongoing problem with passenger kicking the connectors or rain dripping from sunroof etc.
In extreme cases, as it happened, people had to replace CEM because of physical damage etc but even then I never heard of anybody going to dealership to do so especially if its gonna cost half of what your car is worth. You get a decent CEM from another donor car for pennies and send it to UK company to clone electronics for fraction of a price of new one. Agreed with FM on this one - dealership route especially in case of our double-digit old cars makes no sense in this case.
Same story with alternators and other parts, its just not worth doing some of the jobs in stealerships...
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 11:04   #9
Gadjit

Default Same issues

How much is the wiring loom?
Gadjit is offline   Reply With Quote