Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reverse light connection

Views : 558

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2020, 13:25   #1
HWKWallis

Default Reverse light connection

Hi

Part of the scope creep on the estate I picked up at the end of last year involved renovating the engine bay rather than ceasing ambitions at the engine/gearbox.

Having thought I'd organised my records of what goes where adequately seems I can find the (black?) lead which I recall taking off the rear of the gearbox and I presumed was the reversing light switch.

Does anyone know the precise origin of the lead which I must has secreted during prolonged tidying?

Thanks

Jim
HWKWallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 15:51   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Jim;

When seeking help, you should always mention vehicle model and any special (non-standard) conditions which apply, but generally speaking, on most models, harness which runs to Gearbox M40 or BW35 will be a vinyl sleeve, departing from engine compartment harnessing down the gearbox hump...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 17:16   #3
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWKWallis View Post
Hi

Part of the scope creep on the estate I picked up at the end of last year involved renovating the engine bay rather than ceasing ambitions at the engine/gearbox.

Having thought I'd organised my records of what goes where adequately seems I can find the (black?) lead which I recall taking off the rear of the gearbox and I presumed was the reversing light switch.

Does anyone know the precise origin of the lead which I must has secreted during prolonged tidying?

Thanks

Jim
jim Had the same issue when trying to find correct wire for my reverse light hope the pics help
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3274.jpg (163.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3279.JPG (111.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3283.JPG (100.6 KB, 21 views)
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 17:31   #4
HWKWallis

Good point viz the model! (amazon).... In tunnel vision mode.
Thanks Paul... Engine just in this afternoon so a fresh hunt in the morning is in order.

Best

Jim
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 09:45   #5
HWKWallis

Just doubling back on this Paul since having hooked up the red wire as per your images... Does this function correctly for you?
I can't reconcile this with any wiring diagram I have which seem to imply the wire is Black as per my vague recall and comes from one of the relays (which I now find attached to the unit just refitted).
In short then my reading is the Red goes to the oil sender and Black from the round overdrive relay to the reverse switch?

Confused!

Jim
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 12:13   #6
powen1

Jim Hi
I found my red wire goes to the overdrive unit the black wire that was lose went to the sender unit on the gearbox, from what I found out is that the sender (on top or at the back of gearbox) controls the reverse light mine was disconnected. Its black wire from sender to rear light seems to work on earthing circuit.
Im sure someone more experienced will have a better explanation ! hope this helps, I believe it then runs up the back of the engine bay assume to live feed.
Sorry if a bit vague.
See my post 1st jan 2020 re reversing light wiring I had a lot fo feed back and useful information
Paul
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 14:06   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Paul;

...so is this situation sorted now...?

...if not, one way to confirm Revers Light Relay wire, is to measure voltage to chassis...while leaving disconnected, and with Ign ON, Reverse Relay wire will show 12V, and when touching it to chassis to complete Relay coil circuit, you should hear Reverse Relay clack and apply power to Rev Lights.

Good Hunting
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 19:21   #8
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Paul;

...so is this situation sorted now...?

...if not, one way to confirm Revers Light Relay wire, is to measure voltage to chassis...while leaving disconnected, and with Ign ON, Reverse Relay wire will show 12V, and when touching it to chassis to complete Relay coil circuit, you should hear Reverse Relay clack and apply power to Rev Lights.

Good Hunting
Thanks Ron , Yes mine is sorted now and yes did get the relay to click :-) - I think you told me last time that the circuit is earthed when selected reverse and working fine now.

Jim seems to have the same issue but hopefully he's also sorted now ?
Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to powen1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 20:18   #9
HWKWallis

Think I'm on the right page now thanks guys.
Little way off testing as the relay terminal is broken and so acquiring a replacement before finally confirming.

At least everything has a logical home now.

Best

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to HWKWallis For This Useful Post: