Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damaged threads on rear drive shalf - help please!

Views : 1804

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 08:24   #11
tdz840
VOC Member

If all else fails Brookhouse supplies drive shafts now👍
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 08:31   #12
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Not sure how much room you have but …

when all else fails, you can cut a good nut in half, clamp it on the stud past the damaged area with a good set of vise grips and then turn it back out to de-knacker the threads on the stud from the opposite direction.

You can also try doing this with just one piece cut out of the side of the nut as it may be a bit easier to work with.
Morning Blue,Nice to know the 'Bush Mechanics' are still alive and kicking,there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Best regards.

Keith.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 19:20   #13
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Try Rob Whitton or Dai... they will no doubt be able to help with a shaft and just re[lace it.

And dont be hard on yourself. I have worked on cars for 40 + years including running my own business (working in modern junk sadly). Anyone who states they have never made a mistake when repairing vehicles is either a liar or oblivious they have done it.

I personally would ony re thread if you are 100% the nut will be secure and not loose and gripping. If any of this is not in place or you are unsure then buy new or used along with a new oil seal. and check and or replace the wheel bearing whilst you are at it. The process is shown brilliantly on You Tube Amazon Cars - wheel bearing replacement.

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 22:08   #14
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Phil;

The tool you need, and I recommend is shown at the link I gave...
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 11:40   #15
fishyboy

Hi all,
Many thanks to everyone who helped me out. I used the two half's of the original broken castle nut to run the threads out from in to out (thanks Blueosprey). That then allowed me to run the die nut I bought from out to in and that cleaned up the threads a second time. With a bit of lube and working the new castle nuts backwards and forwards i managed to get both on. Brakes bleed and ready to go.

The only problem now is I noticed one of the wheel nuts ran straight through the hole in the steel wheel. I can only guess that might have happened when a over zealous tyre fitter got carried away with his air-gun when he put the wheel back on after fitting some new tyres last year. I guess it means I'll have to but a new wheel!

Thanks
Phil
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 12:51   #16
Derek UK
VOC Member

Wear to the wheel holes is common after all these years but rarely gets checked until too late, as you have found. The first sign is that the hole gets sharp edges, be careful when you check. This will only get worse but a smear of grease will at least allow the nut to slide on the surface rather than wear it even more. I've made the comment before that many who check WILL find they have wear and damage. Don't take good wheels to the scrapyard!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 13:53   #17
fishyboy

Thanks Derek
I assume in my case that once the wheel nut passes through the widened hole its time to get a new wheel?
Phil
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 18:37   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy View Post
Thanks Derek
I assume in my case that once the wheel nut passes through the widened hole its time to get a new wheel?
Phil
Absolutely. Check them all. You do have a spare wheel?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote