Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon Clutch Adjustment 850 T5 1995 HOW? HELP :)

Views : 14264

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2005, 00:28   #1
notmything

Default Aircon Clutch Adjustment 850 T5 1995 HOW? HELP :)

Hi folks i have a 1995 T5 and i need to adjust the clutch on the compressor.
I read a post from the amazing Chris Rogers and wondered if there are any posts with photos showing how this is done?
ive searched through lots of pages but not found anything with details of how to do this :(
can anyone please help me do this ?
if nobody has done a how to on the clutch adjustment id be willing to do one for future reference :)
many thanks
Frank

p.s. ive been around here a long time its just that i cant log in for some strange reason so i reregged
Old May 8th, 2005, 00:58   #2
notmything

Default RE: Aircon Clutch Adjustment 850 T5 1995 HOW? HELP :)

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...topic_id=13079

i found that post but the link is dead that has pictures on.
and ive found a few saab links on google
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:02   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

This link to the Saab pictures works for me:

http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/v...conclutch.html

The 850/70 clutch is secured by a 6mm (10mm hex) bolt not an allen screw.

Note the mounting of the AC compressor and the aux belt tensioner are slightly different from the V70 I wrote the procedure for, it should not make any difference to the procedure though.

I had an e-mail from a chap in Brazil who had done the adjustment, using my method, successfully on his '95 850.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:19   #4
notmything

cheers Chris :)
i dont suppose you have a photo of your tool that you made?
just to make life easier for me?
maybe it would be an idea to get these produced by a fabrication shop to sell them to people on here as a kit to adjust the clutch settings :D

do you just take one shim/washer out?
or do you have to measure the gap?
many thanks
Old May 8th, 2005, 17:25   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The tool is just a flat plate with 3 holes in it to match the 5 mm tapped holes in the clutch plate.

Measure the air gap before you start and then remove the shim nearest to:

The gap you started with - the gap you need.

The correct air gap is about 0.4mm it's not that critial.
Old May 8th, 2005, 18:04   #6
notmything

ah right so a round plate with 3 holes
how does the clutch physically pull away
sorry if it seems a bit of an odd question but its kinda hard to figure out from just words :)
thanks
Old May 8th, 2005, 21:31   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I've repeated the procedure below I can't think of any better way to describe it,

On the 850 the AC relay is behind the glove box so to engage the clutch to loosen the 6mm bolt holding the plate to the shaft you will find it easier to run a lead form battery + to the clutch wire.

To adjust the clutch (which I have done) you will have to remove the compressor from it's mountings to gain enough clearance.
You can leave the AC lines connected.

You will also need to make up a puller to get the clutch plate off.

I made the puller this way:
If you look at the clutch plate there are 3 x 5mm threaded holes to attach a puller. Use a piece of 3mm thick steel and drill 3 x 5mm clearance holes in it to match the 3 x 5mm tapped holes in the clutch plate.

You will need 3 x 5mm steel studs about 50 mm long, at least 3 5mm nuts and a 6mm threaded bolt about 50 mm long to replace the existing bolt in the middle of the clutch.

Method:
Engage the clutch as described above and loosen the 6mm bolt (10mm head) that holds the clutch plate to the compressor shaft.
Disengage the clutch.
Remove the aux drive belt & dismount the compressor to gain enough clearance to remove the clutch plate.

Remove the 6mm bolt you loosened above and replace with the longer 6mm bolt.
Fit the steel plate with the 3 x 5 mm holes to the clutch plate with the three studs and tighten down evenly onto the 6 mm bolt thus pulling the clutch plate off the shaft.

Be careful not to loose the shims.

Remove sufficent shims to get the clearance back in spec.

Use the original 6mm bolt to pull the clutch plate back on the shaft.
Engage the cluch again for final tightening of the 6mm bolt once you have it all back together.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2005, 21:30   #8
GrahamB
GrahamB

>ah right so a round plate with 3 holes
>how does the clutch physically pull away
>sorry if it seems a bit of an odd question but its kinda hard
>to figure out from just words :)
>thanks

Further to Chris Roger's follow-up reply to this question, I have just made up an extractor based on a 'pressing' as Chris suggested in his reply to my questions. I used a piece of polystyrene. From my measurements, if you mark a point in the middle of a 5 x 5cm or more square, (or 5cm diameter) of 3mm thick mild steel, then drill three 5mm clearance holes 20mm from the centre at 120 degree spacings, that (with the three lengths of studding, nuts and 6mm bolt)is your puller!
If I am wrong, will Chris or someone please advise, because that is what I have made up and I hope to do the job on my V70 tomorrow! The current clutch gap is about 80mm, right on the margin and I hope to reduce this to about 40mm.
Chris: looking at the compressor, it appears to be fixed by means of just two bolts, which go right through the bottom frame into a mounting bracket. Is this correct?
As advised, I bought a long 12mm ring spanner to release the aux belt tensioner, but in fact it has a 14mm bolt. Fortuitously it had a 14mm ring on the other end!
From the above, you may detect that on Chris's and other advice I have abandoned my 'booster battery' idea!
Audi A4 Avant TDI - Traitor
GrahamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 22:55   #9
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think you have made the tool correctly, you should end up with a plate with just 3 x 5mm clearance holes in it in a equilateral triangle.
I did not try and measure it, just used a rubbing, but the dimentions you quote seem about right.

Do the 3 x 5mm nuts on the studding up evenly, once the right tension is reached the clutch plate will release with a sharp 'crack', don't worry it's not broken.
It will be a fiddle but stick with it and don't loose the shims.

Sorry, I remembered the size for the aux belt tensoner incorrectly, fortunately it seems it does not matter.

The compressor is attached by four bolts, the top two also hold the bottom of the alternator. Retorque to 30 Nm
If the car has a turbo it's a good time to move the alternator out of the way and clean the nipple for the crankcase ventilation on the underside of the inlet manifold. I wish I'd remembered to do mine at the time!

Good luck, hope the weather is better tomorrow it's been cold and windy here on the South Coast.
Old May 15th, 2005, 00:45   #10
notmything

i dont suppose you could take some photos of the extraction tool and the compressor plate once you have removed it could you?
im still a little confused on how to tackle this job.
im not eally good at making tools but am pretty handy using them.
i dont want to start a job and hget it wrong :)
thats my only worry.
i actually went to look at a newer t5 estate today jusyt to avoid doing this job but im afraid the bodywork looked like it had been parked in morrisons car park for 4 years next top the trolley park :(
cheers muchly